If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

How much money does this site generate in donations/Amazon affiliate links?
Since the owners of this site claim that they only solicit donations for upkeep costs, do they have any transparency in how much money they take in vs. their operating costs? What happens if they bring in more money than they need for upkeep? Do they return the excess revenue to donors?

If they truly want to keep this community non-profit, it seems like they should be upfront and transparent about these things. Otherwise it just looks like they want to make money off of other people's work and won't let people make money off of their own work. (Not saying that is actually the case, but without transparency, it certainly gives that appearance.)

Shutting down my thread discussing the new policy and limiting discussion to PMs with mods also comes across as them wanting to disempower users and control the flow of information. My thread did not link to my site or my patreon and did not violate any rules as far as I know, so I really don't get why this topic can't be discussed openly.

If there is some report about the site's income vs. operating expenses I missed, then I apologize, but if not, being transparent about these things would do a lot to instill faith in the administrators. 

I hope this thread is not locked by mods because this is an important subject that deserves to be discussed in the open, and I don't see how this thread could violate any rules.
This community has rules. Rules which are clearly laid out and are there to safeguard this community. I for one have nothing but respect for the community, its rules and the professional way the admins conduct themselves.
[+] 7 users Like Malthus's post
(06-04-2020, 01:01 PM)WhisperEdits Wrote: My thread did not link to my site or my patreon and did not violate any rules as far as I know, so I really don't get why this topic can't be discussed openly.

Whisperedits - since you're new to the forums, please take the time to read our rules: https://www.fanedit.org/rules/

Copyright laws and thier relation to fanediiting is a sensetive topic, and it's long standing FE etiquette not to openly discuss these in the forums. It has also been made plain in our recent announcement that queries should be directed via PM. 

Recent Update Wrote:If you have any questions regarding these rules please contact a staff member privately.

You read the recent update, quite literally titled "New Rules and Guidelines for Fanediting", so you must be aware of this. If not, it was also pointed out to you in your last thread, so I don't see how you can claim to be unaware of how this violates any rules.

WhisperEdits Wrote:I hope this thread is not locked by mods because this is an important subject that deserves to be discussed in the open, and I don't see how this thread could violate any rules.

You know that your thread will be locked because you know that you are disregarding the rules. To clarify, this thread is being locked for these reasons:

A. It breaks forum rules.
B. We have explicitly asked these questions to be directed via PM and you are actively choosing to ignore this.
C. You are posting in site news, which is for site updates/news threads, and not user-made discussion threads. 

I strongly advise you take the time to familiarise yourself with the community and it's guidelines before proceeding further, and once again, if you need clarity please contact a staff member.

Thread closed.
"I live in the Tower of Flints. I am the death-owl."

COMPLETED: IFDB
ITW: The Ledzeppership of The Rings 
IDEAS: Thread ~ B+ Movie Series ~ Anatomy of a Shrinking Man ~ Avatar: TLA (TV-Movie Project)
[+] 4 users Like The Scribbling Man's post
I don't even know where to begin with this. I make negative dollars from the site, and the lion's share of donations comes from staff.

If you think faneditors should make money off of their edits, I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the spirit of fanedits, and you have chosen the wrong HOBBY and COMMUNITY to be a part of.

I'm going to calm down and collect my thoughts before fully answering this.
Gracious, my bones are aching. Storm's coming on.
Since I haven't seen it addressed yet, I'll also point out that continuing to ignore the rules will eventually lead to punishment, including warnings, infractions, and ultimately a ban.  Consider this the first warning.