If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Banning Patreons doesn't make sense, donations don't violate IP law
Selling fanedits would be illegal under U.S. IP law, but donation-based sites like Patreon fully conform with the law, so long as you are not giving away copyrighted materials to donators. Such donations only reward faneditors for their hard work and effort, meaning their donations are for a service rather than a good (a small but legally significant difference). Many prominent faneditors such as TeamFourStar (DBZ Abridged) have used Patreon to fund high-quality work that would not be possible otherwise. That isn't even to mention all the fan artists who make their careers drawing copyrighted characters.

I understand why you don't want people advertising their Patreons on the site, but completely banning any faneditor who has a Patreon even if they never link to it goes far beyond the law and doesn't make sense in my opinion. This will only stifle the faneditor community and prevent economically-disadvantaged people from participating.

I enjoy creating fanedits but I also put multiple hours of hard work into each fanedit I create (all of which I release completely for free), and while my Patreon currently doesn't have any donators, I don't think there's anything wrong with allowing people who like my work the ability to help support it.

It's your site and I doubt this post will change your mind, but I felt the need to give my two cents anyway. Personally, while this seems like a good community I'd love to participate more in, I'd much rather work toward making my editing sustainable long term, even if it means I can't participate here.
I also think it's kinda hypocritical that you solicit donations, but won't allow editors to do the same. Kinda seems like you just don't want the competition.
(06-04-2020, 10:50 AM)WhisperEdits Wrote: I also think it's kinda hypocritical that you solicit donations, but won't allow editors to do the same. Kinda seems like you just don't want the competition.

It costs money to run and upkeep the site.  No one is profiting off of this site.

My assumption on banning Patreons on here could effectively just be trying to make sure that nothing runs afoul and out of control by the moderators.  Our hobby and passion for fanedits is always at risk of being shutdown as it is without having to add another layer to it.

I don't have one, so I can't speak passionately about it, but maybe it's something that could be mentioned in PM's as a happy medium?
Completed Edits
(PM for Links)
As stated in the updated policy, any questions should be directed to staff via PM. Thread closed.
[+] 7 users Like DigModiFicaTion's post