If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

mac's Guide to Prepping for a 4K edit
Last Impressions Interesting. But this would require me to edit entirely in 4K, right? Actually wouldn't be the worst thing, my machine could definitely handle it; but drawing less power and just generally things running snappier, editing in 1080p, would be nice.

I also am not sure if Premiere has similar settings. I assume so...

Assuming my machine could handle it, this way would definitely be the easiest, as opposed to having to rip two separate discs, or rip the 4K disc twice... idk I'll look into it.

I deleted my TRoS edit because I sold the steel-book, and bought the Skywalker Saga box set. So when that delivers (could be taking over a monthCry), I'll try it out. (I suppose I could test it using another 4K title I own, but I feel like that'd be a waste of time, and I'm not sure which have HDR anyways...

Whatever I end up doing, thanks for the help!
[+] 1 user Likes macmilln's post
(06-16-2020, 10:19 AM)macmilln Wrote: Last Impressions Interesting. But this would require me to edit entirely in 4K, right? Actually wouldn't be the worst thing, my machine could definitely handle it; but drawing less power and just generally things running snappier, editing in 1080p, would be nice.

I also am not sure if Premiere has similar settings. I assume so...

Assuming my machine could handle it, this way would definitely be the easiest, as opposed to having to rip two separate discs, or rip the 4K disc twice... idk I'll look into it.

I deleted my TRoS edit because I sold the steel-book, and bought the Skywalker Saga box set. So when that delivers (could be taking over a monthCry), I'll try it out. (I suppose I could test it using another 4K title I own, but I feel like that'd be a waste of time, and I'm not sure which have HDR anyways...

Whatever I end up doing, thanks for the help!

Yes ...make the whole project in 4K - Does Premiere Pro have a proxy option? this will keep your editing snappy.... and you can always render in 1080p but make sure you render in HDR10 . I am sure the latest version of Premiere Pro will have a similar render setting. I'll do some research when i get a moment. 

The Skywalker saga boxset looks cool but there is not one movie in the set that i wanna watch again. I'll stick to my Despecialized and Adywan versions and various other edits for the prequels/sequels. My daughter has however sent me the Australian 4K versions of The Force Awakens and Rise of Skywalker to use for my own edits that i'll probably never get around to doing...plus  other people seem to make good jobs of them anyway....i'll probably end up making some hybrid version of other edits and use my new 4K discs for certain scenes that i wanna change.
So I "finally" got a moment - or rather, I finally decided to be at least somewhat productive... and started testing stuff out again for a 4K edit. I've tried a bunch of stuff over the past few days, mostly yesterday and today; don't ask me how many programs I tried, or how many encodes I made (or what I did when my ODD stopped reading discsCry)... but I finally got it to work very easily using Avidemux.

Previously, with other edits, I've been somewhat reckless in prepping my files - just converting m2ts --> mp4 with HandBrakeSick, making the bit-rate a bit higher to "ensure" no significant loss in quality. But this was a decision based in laziness, and ignorance (only thinking about myself watching on my far-away TV or small-screen laptop, I'm sorry y'all). For the next edit I have planned, "in a galaxy far, far away...." (but not TRoS - I've scrapped that one for now), I was intent on making things 'lossless', compatible, and simple.

I'll formalize an updated tutorial and probably amend it to the OP (eventually), but pretty much I ripped the UHD title into an MKV (of course with MakeMKV), and used Avidemux "Copy" to achieve [what I think is] a lossless (besides the extra tracks I didn't need) conversion to MP4!

The MP4, still, was HDR-intact, so I loaded it into Premiere, rendered a proxy file (thanks Last Impressions!) which worked great! And, to my surprise, the proxy file (being a lower resolution) was already encoded/interpreted in SDR! Which not only looked amazing (the best I've ever seen this particular Star War), but reduced my anxiety about editing in HDR, and saves me the trouble of having to edit with washed-out footage - or making a temporary LUT, then having to worry about it later...

So, the workflow is now: MakeMKV --> Avidemux --> Premiere Pro (or whatever editing software). As an obsessive 'optimizer', I must say I'm quite content.
[+] 2 users Like macmilln's post