• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory:

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory:

This fan edit is pretty straight forward really. It cuts out the distracting scenes of Wonka's childhood, which helps enormously with the pacing. The problem with the theatrical release is that it's probably is more suited to the title "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" than the original 1971 release as it's all about Johnny Depp's character rather than Charlie. I think it's actually impossible to make Charlie a more central character to Wonka as the camera and narrative is glued to him. It's definitely the "Johnny Depp Wonka Show" and no editing can really change that much.

I'm so glad that the "absolutely not" line has been removed on when Charlie has just won and asks Wonka if his family can come. I found that line too cold for Wonka really and I never did like the whole backstory anyway, so again, I'm glad it's cut out.

I obviously wish there was a way to cut out all of the horrid songs (god, they're awful), but it's an impossible task as they hold the scenes together with how the narrative plays out. You can't even cut the cheesy puppet scene on Wonka's introduction as there's no other way to introduce Wonka. You can't do too much with the film at all really. But you got rid of the padding and that was good enough.

If I was ever to watch this film again then this would definitely be my way to watch it. The editing itself is amazing. It's professionally made and executed well. Congrats with it!

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/roald-dahls-charlie-and-the-chocolate-factory/discussions/11036/

Top Bottom