• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

choppy playback problem

agentaika

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ugg... Working with mpeg files is so annoying. :x Haha.

When I play back my rendered video I notice some mild stuttering in some scenes, especially during slow camera pans. Any suggestions on how I could fix this? I'm using Ulead's Media Studio 8, Frameserver, and Cinema Craft Editor.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
framerate problems? multipass? interlacing vs deinterlacing?

Sprug's decapitated head

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not sure what the cause of this error is, but i've had the same problem in the past. I would use TMPgenc to convert a DVD video_ts folder to an mpeg-2, and when i tried to work with it in my editor (Pinnacle) , the framerate would stutter, and would render that way as well. I think it probably is an interlaceing / deinterlacing issue as Boon said because now that i use VOB2MPG to create my mpeg-2's instead of TMPgenc, i no longer have the problem. So for me, i was just using the wrong ripper for the job. You probably are as well. Try using another ripper and see if that will help. When i kept getting stuttering video, i felt like Robo-punching my computer monitor lol.

agentaika

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

I played back the mpeg2 source and it looks fine. I tried different interlacing and deinterlacing options and I still get a slight stutter. I think the problem may be with how Media Studio handles mpeg2. Aside from frameserving to the encoder, I should find a way to frameserve the mpeg2 to the editor also?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I work with mpeg2 and ULEAD too, no stutter.

agentaika

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is starting to become a little frustrating. It seems like I've spent more time trying to figure out how to render than I did on the actual editing. :-x

Do you frameserve the mpeg2 file into Ulead also, or do you just import? Do you have any special codecs installed to help Ulead decode the mpeg2 file?

I did a quick edit with my other editing program and I get the same result. There might be something wrong with my mpeg2 source. I'll do some trouble shooting. Damn it.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yep..the rippiung process is VERY important. I use AnyDVD and PGCDemux to get sound and video files. Then I transcode ac3 to wav and mutliplex wav and m2v to mpg using TMPGXpress. Then I import this into ULEAD MEDIA STIO PRO 8, using the multipelxed mpg source. No extra codecs needed. The final step is frameserving to CCE.
I tried lots of different methods, this works best for me currently.

agentaika

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I did almost exactly what you do minus multiplexing the video. I just imported the m2v video and wav audio that I made from the ac3. And to rip the DVD I used DVD Shrink.

I tried rendering a small clip with Premiere. The stuttering was gone but the picture became very pixelated for a moment and then went back to normal. There is most likely something wrong with my source files.

I'll keep investigating.

agentaika

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Problem fixed.

The solution: Use Sony Vegas.

I won't be able to do the editing at the studio now since Vegas is the only editing program I own, but oh well. At least the problem has been figured out.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
your problem: not using a multiplexed mpg in ULEAD. Actually your editor should crash a lot. ULEAD has major problems handling pure m2v. At least on my system.

agentaika

Reaction score
Trophy Points
boon23 said:
your problem: not using a multiplexed mpg in ULEAD. Actually your editor should crash a lot. ULEAD has major problems handling pure m2v. At least on my system.
Hahaha. You're right. :( Ulead didn't crash but it did go really slow. And Vegas didn't like m2v file either. The video became really scattered in some spots. During my editing career I've only worked with film and DV files. I thought I could work with mpeg2 the same way, and just toss it in and go. Man was I wrong. :lol: Oh well.

Thank you for the help.

Top Bottom