• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Viewing "Colour" films in Black and White

Junglist Paja

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone here else do this?

So far I've watched both The Mist and Jurassic Park this way.

I've heard The Mist is a good one, but I hadn't heard of Jurassic Park going the black and white route!

I made an edit several years ago with Rosemary's Baby in black and white and I enjoyed it more.  Also, @"bionicbob" 's edits of The Shadow Strikes and The Phantom Strikes adds a lot of nostalgia when watching them in black and white since they take place in the 30's.  I've thought about taking my copy of @"slark" 's Doc Savage edit and converting that to black and white as well.

I read an article somewhere that Carpenter's The Thing would be cool to watch in black and white.

I watched the official B&W edition of The Mist.

For Jurassic Park I went a little amateur and desecrated the colours on my television at the time  :p

I am not good as seeing colors anyway, so I don't get much of a different experience watching movies in black and white. One thing I do appreciate with some fanedits is the removal of blue or green tints to scenes which tend to make things more difficult for me to see

There are Colour --> B&W fanedits on ifdb. Here are the ones that sprung to mind (some being my own 'cause I love B&W :) ):

John Wick: Point Blank Cut

Matcha To Bon Odori (Green Tea and the Spirit Dance)

Orson Welles and I

From Hell: Engraved In Stone

Raiders

Blade Runner: Tears in the Rain

LV 426

Derelict

Robocop: The Black and White Edition

Reservoir Dogs: The Black & White Edition

Logan Gothic

Bram Stoker's Dracula (Silent Film Version)  (colour tinted)

Max Renn: The Video Man

and @"TMBTM" 's series of SW silent edits e.g.

Star Wars - Silent Edition: Episode VII

There must be others I've forgotten about. I did a Batman v Superman in b&w once and it looked fantastic (the visuals are one of the few good things about that film).

I've got a small list jotted down on the board of vhs tapes that look in black and white (in order of black and white goodness):
Rocky
Omega Man
Godfather

I was watching a video on this forthcoming Samurai PS4 game 'Ghost of Tsushima':

From about 15-mins in they are talking about the option to play it in subtitled Japanese language mode and a black & white, film grain/damage mode. It looks like the closest thing I've seen to being able to play inside a classic Samurai movie. They've got the wind swept cinematography just right. I hope you can play it in scope too. I really hope this one lives up to the promise.

Although i don't think he is an accredited Faneditor - i loved Maple Films edit of Finest Hour/Dunkirk Supercut in Monochrome.

I also preferred The Mist in Black & White and TM2YC "From Hell" is also Superior in B&W.

A future edit of mine when i finally get around to it will be the new Midway film....the film looks almost cartoon like as it is. I did a few test runs and it looks so much more convincing in B&W. Now all i have to do is trim some of the hammy acting.

On the flip side and this maybe a Blasphemous comment : but i preferred Alexander Desplat's "Nebraska" in colour and although i didn't love the film i'd have preferred to see "Roma" in colour aswell...Roma is set in the early seventies so a few old school filters would have immersed me into the film a bit more. I don't understand the decision to make it  black and white but who am i too judge a directors creative decision making

I watched Logan Noir and Mad Max: Fury Road - Black and Chrome. Both were enjoyable but I'm still not sure whether the black and white scheme really added anything to the experience.

I think Saving Private Ryan in black and white would be incredible.

"Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" looks great in black and white. Director Kerry Conran actually wanted it to be black and white, but had to make it in color due to producer demands.

I often watch Hammer films like Dracula,Frankenstein and some others in B&W.
They often looks Stunning and better in B&W but it’s a matter of taste a guess.

Wolfman (2010) also looks great in B&W.l’m planning to make a B&W Fanedit of it

I think Batman Returns looks amazing in black and white, and I can't help but think that Burton had this in his mind while creating it. My short for our 2008 Batman group project featured a primarily b&w look:

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/mayhem-and-mistletoe/

I would love to give the entire film an edit and this treatment, but I'll likely never find the time.

WkYzTI6.png

tQSfEnd.png

yY81B5i.png

ThrowgnCpr said:
I think Batman Returns looks amazing in black and white, and I can't help but think that Burton had this in his mind while creating it. My short for our 2008 Batman group project featured a primarily b&w look:

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/mayhem-and-mistletoe/

I would love to give the entire film an edit and this treatment, but I'll likely never find the time.

That looks great i've always loved the Sin City (for want of a better word) look. I prefer the term "Rumblefishy "
moc_rumble_fish_300dpi_press1-large.jpg

I intend to do this when i edit IN TIME black and white with the life counters in green. 

in-time-52c8474ca059e.jpg

It's a great looking effect when done well, but good grief, to do it properly takes soooooo much time.

In Time could look cool with that effect. Good luck, and condolences to whatever social life you previously had  :p

hbenthow said:
"Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" looks great in black and white. Director Kerry Conran actually wanted it to be black and white, but had to make it in color due to producer demands.

I'd love to seen an HD B&W (with some aged film effects) remaster of Jorge's Sky Captain fan edit... his cutlist looks dead-on. :cool:

Gaith said:
hbenthow said:

I'd love to seen an HD B&W (with some aged film effects) remaster of Jorge's Sky Captain fan edit... his cutlist looks dead-on. :cool:

I watched his fanedit years ago and didn't care for it. I liked almost all of the material that he cut out, so seeing a version without it detracted from the experience for me.

Gaith said:
hbenthow said:

Don't tempt me :D .

ThrowgnCpr said:
It's a great looking effect when done well, but good grief, to do it properly takes soooooo much time.

In Time could look cool with that effect. Good luck, and condolences to whatever social life you previously had  :p

There is a reason i have had this edit on the back burner for 5 years and it's not just the challenge of making the film half decent. The film was a good concept but badly executed. It's a shame because Niccol's "Gattaca" is a masterpiece.

I can confirm that King Kong (2005) looks stunning in black and white and the effect actually enhances the special effects shots and fits really well given its setting.

Back
Top Bottom