• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

A Nightmare on Friday the 13th - FREDDY vs JASON Edit

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

This fan edit attempts to tone down the more over-the-top and comedic aspects of FREDDY vs JASON, to bring it more in line with the best installments of the respective series. It also aims to improve pacing and to reduce bad acting and special effects. In short, try to purge the early 2000's from the film as much as possible. Below is a detailed list of every change:

FREDDY & JASON INTRO
- add intro quote
- extend Freddy getting burned by the parents of Springwood
- replace close-up of Freddy's mouth with shots of hellscape
- add partial deleted scene: Camp Crystal Lake counselor
- fix moving lamp on dock
- fix counselor's hand on dock
- replace dead counselors morphing with previous Jason victims 
- cut Mrs Voorhees morphing back into Freddy + mix in Betsy Palmer voice
- replace title card & music

RETURN TO ELM STREET
- longer shot of 1428 Elm Street
- trim Kia and Lori's conversation about Will
- add partial deleted scene: Gibb & Trey in room
- cut exposition about Lori's mother
- cut Gibb body double in the shower
- cut wide shot of Trey getting stabbed by Jason
- trim Gibb screaming after finding Trey's body 

WESTIN HILLS, POLICE STATION, BLAKE'S DEATH
- add deleted scene: introduction to Will & Mark
- fix continuity error Will's hand
- trim Lori waking up in the police station
- cut Freddy talking to himself after attacking Blake
- fix Jason stopping his swing when killing Blake
- fix continuity error: Mark mooning security guard + cut stock fart sound effect
- add deleted scene: Lori's father takes her home

AT SCHOOL
- cut Kia's rant outside
- add partial deleted scene: Mark and Will sneaking in
- cut Kia mocking Linderman by humping Lori
- add "Nightmare on Elm Street" theme when Lori describes Freddy to her friends
- cut Will telling Mark "You're scaring her"
- cut Freddy's "Got your nose" + speed up Kia getting her nose ripped off

THE RAVE
- add partial deleted scene: picking up Lori + trim Mark and Will's handshake
- cut Will asking about Lori's father
- recolor boiler room + fix hand visible before Gibb falls off the walkway
- cut Freddy saying "Oh" after Gibb lands
- cut Shack's "Why don't you go find yourself a pig to fuck"
- cut Jason making the dead raver fall by poking him
- trim and alter shots of Jason on fire to hide obvious firesuit
- cut Shack running out of the cornfield with his mouth closed to hold fake blood
- cut raver throwing beer at Jason + replace his dying groans

ON THE RUN, MARK'S DEATH
- trim Kia and Lori mourning Gibb
- cut Lori asking her Dad about her mother's death
- re-order Mark's scenes + trim Freddy appearing in bathroom mirror
- trim Mark's brother as Freddy + cut snakes at Mark's feet 
- trim Freddy's dialogue+ cut Mark popping back up before getting slashed

GANG MEETING, GETTING HYPNOCIL
- fix continuity error: Sheriff's cigar
- cut Lori's "Freddy died by fire, Jason by water" and suggesting going after Freddy first
- cut Kia's "We're not safe awake or asleep"
- fix Freddy's bendy claw when attacking Lori
- add deleted scene: splitting up
- add partial deleted scene: coma patient + trim Lori and Will's dialogue
- cut Freddy-caterpillar squeezing down Freeburg's throat
- fix pre-broken console before Deputy Stubbs' death
- cut Freddy/Freeburg's "Let me handle this, bitch"
- cut echo of Freddy's “These are my children, Jason. Go back where you belong!” 

RIDE TO CRYSTAL LAKE, BOILER ROOM FIGHT
- reorder Jason's dreams + recolor boiler room
- cut Freddy's "Not my arm!" + cut Freddy's jerk off motion
- trim Freddy slamming Jason like a pinball
- cut CGI travel into Jason's brain
- recolor Jason's Crystal Lake memory/dream
- cut Freddy as Camp Counselor

CAMP FIGHT
- fix missing crate on Jason's foot when he crashes through the cabin
- cut Freddy's "Welcome to my world bitch"
- cut shot of Will carrying an unconscious Lori where her arm stays upright
- trim obvious prosthetic arm when Lori's hand falls in the fire
- add partial deleted scene: lead-up to the fight
- trim Linderman and Kia's final conversation
- cut Freddy's indecision over killing Lori or Kia + trim "Dark meat"
- trim Kia taunting Freddy and her death

CLIMAX
- cut Freddy's "Man the torpedoes"
- trim obvious fake blood spurting from Jason's wounds
- cut one shot of the cement mixer dangling
- fix boxers visible on Freddy dangling from equipment + trim him screaming "Nooo!"
- fix Freddy slicing Jason's fingers off
- fix Freddy grabbing rubber machete
- fix regular skin visible on Freddy during dock fight
- cut Lori's “Welcome to my world, bitch!”
- fix dummy head of Freddy before his decapitation
- fix Jason's visible eyes when sinking in the lake
- replace songs in credits

This edit is almost complete but let me know if you have any comments or suggestions and I will try to implement them before the final render. You can also ask to see short clips if you're interested!

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Love the title.

Thanks! It was one of the many working titles considered when the project was in development hell. I thought it would be a good fan edit title to help it stand out from the original movie.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This sounds great... love the cutlist.  I also love the attention to detail in the short trailer, using the font from the original Friday the 13th etc.  Definitely count me in for this.

VortexUnlimited

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know what else to say besides this is awesome! Really excited to watch this. Also the removal of the red grade is really good, especially the frame at 2x3.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah man I don't know how you took those straight up red shots and pulled real color out, that's super impressive.

I am not a great judge of more subtle color grading, when watching movies I don't really notice or think about that unless it's obviously bad, so take this with a grain of salt, but I like the look of your other shots in the example a lot!

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Yeah man I don't know how you took those straight up red shots and pulled real color out, that's super impressive.

I am not a great judge of more subtle color grading, when watching movies I don't really notice or think about that unless it's obviously bad, so take this with a grain of salt, but I like the look of your other shots in the example a lot!

Thanks! To be fair, I wasn't sure I could pull this much color out of those red shots either, but after I watched the DREAM NEMESIS Fanedit and saw the incredible job Uncanny Antman did with these scenes, it showed me it was actually possible to do so.

Solemn.Philosopher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd definitely like to check the edit out when it is finished. I like the general plot and ideas of the original Freddy vs Jason, but it does lean too much into modern silly horror rather than a classic horror.

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

The morphing counselors always seemed a bit cheesy to me, or at least, the wrong kind of cheesy. I also think it felt unbalanced to have a lenghty prologue documenting Freddy's kills without doing the same for Jason. So I kept the voice-overs but replaced the random counselors with footage from actual previous victims. You can also hear whispers of Betsy Palmer's voice as Mrs Voorhees before she fully transforms into the fake Freddy version.

Solemn.Philosopher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
thebutcher said:

The morphing counselors always seemed a bit cheesy to me, or at least, the wrong kind of cheesy. I also think it felt unbalanced to have a lenghty prologue documenting Freddy's kills without doing the same for Jason. So I kept the voice-overs but replaced the random counselors with footage from actual previous victims. You can also hear whispers of Betsy Palmer's voice as Mrs Voorhees before she fully transforms into the fake Freddy version.

Very well done!

Urban Monitor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That´s impressive!  I had plans to make a Freddy Vs Jason fanedit in the future but now I think I´ll give up of the idea! lol

I really liked the clip of the deaths of the others Friday movies, very well done!

I had other ideas to do in my fanedit if you wanna hear it let me know. If you like you can put in yours

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thebutcher said:
addiesin said:

Thanks! To be fair, I wasn't sure I could pull this much color out of those red shots either, but after I watched the DREAM NEMESIS Fanedit and saw the incredible job Uncanny Antman did with these scenes, it showed me it was actually possible to do so.

That's nice of you to say.  :)

This looks like you've done an awesome job!  I really like the F13 montage you put in over the horrible morphs.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thebutcher said:

Wow... this has been done brilliantly.  So much better than the horrible morphing effect.  This edit gets better and better :)

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
UPDATE

This edit is finished and available upon request as an MKV file containing 5.1 and Stereo audio options depending on your setup!

I'd like some feedback before I submit it to the Database so if you want to be the first to screen it, let me know via private message

Solemn.Philosopher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
thebutcher said:
UPDATE

This edit is finished and available upon request as an MKV file containing 5.1 and Stereo audio options depending on your setup!

I'd like some feedback before I submit it to the Database so if you want to be the first to screen it, let me know via private message

I watched the edit yesterday evening. It is a great edit both technically and choice-wise. I didn't see any bad cuts and there is definitely less all around silliness. 

Here are a few more cuts or changes that I would consider:  

• Reduce colour saturation slightly and/or add some film grain. The film seems a bit too colourful and shiny for a horror film. 
  • I'd like to see Johnny Depp's death in the Freddy flashback (the scene is already partially there). It would be an amusing cameo.
  • The girl skinny dipping at the beginning seems to get scared too quickly. I don't know if there is a way to extend that scene slightly. Her screaming during the chase is a little too loud and continuous as well (though this is a dream sequence and perhaps it is meant to be over-the-top). 
  • The guy being tossed in the cornfield (seemingly into space). I wonder if it might be possible to cut a bit earlier so it isn’t so over-the-top.
  • Kia (Kelly Rowland) telling the school nurse to hurry up when her friend is unconscious in the next room seemed weird and rude (how can she hurry up?).
  • Reduce Jason being tossed around by Freddy a bit more in the dream sequence. 
  • The mouth to mouth of Jason in the van is too silly. Perhaps have Kia remove the mask when Jason starts to leak and then have him suddenly wake up.
  • This is a criticism of the film that might require more work than it is worth: The film likes to use prominent colours (especially blue). I know you fixed this in one part already, but I wonder if it might be good to reduce it to a more natural or balanced colour in some places (it makes sense in a dream sequence, but not in real-world places).

That is about it. Again, your edit is already excellent as is, so feel free to ignore any of my ideas. Perhaps you’ve already tried some of this, but the cut didn't seem natural. You can only work with what is available.

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Solemn.Philosopher said:
thebutcher said:
UPDATE

I watched the edit yesterday evening. It is a great edit both technically and choice-wise. I didn't see any bad cuts and there is definitely less all around silliness. 

Here are a few more cuts or changes that I would consider:  

• Reduce colour saturation slightly and/or add some film grain. The film seems a bit too colourful and shiny for a horror film. 
  • I'd like to see Johnny Depp's death in the Freddy flashback (the scene is already partially there). It would be an amusing cameo.
  • The girl skinny dipping at the beginning seems to get scared too quickly. I don't know if there is a way to extend that scene slightly. Her screaming during the chase is a little too loud and continuous as well (though this is a dream sequence and perhaps it is meant to be over-the-top). 
  • The guy being tossed in the cornfield (seemingly into space). I wonder if it might be possible to cut a bit earlier so it isn’t so over-the-top.
  • Kia (Kelly Rowland) telling the school nurse to hurry up when her friend is unconscious in the next room seemed weird and rude (how can she hurry up?).
  • Reduce Jason being tossed around by Freddy a bit more in the dream sequence. 
  • The mouth to mouth of Jason in the van is too silly. Perhaps have Kia remove the mask when Jason starts to leak and then have him suddenly wake up.
  • This is a criticism of the film that might require more work than it is worth: The film likes to use prominent colours (especially blue). I know you fixed this in one part already, but I wonder if it might be good to reduce it to a more natural or balanced colour in some places (it makes sense in a dream sequence, but not in real-world places).

That is about it. Again, your edit is already excellent as is, so feel free to ignore any of my ideas. Perhaps you’ve already tried some of this, but the cut didn't seem natural. You can only work with what is available.

Thank you so much for the suggestions and feedback!
•  I already reduced the saturation but you're right, it still looks too polished, as a lot of horror movies did at that time.
•  Eh, it was already hard enough to extend the Freddy intro without messing up the music too much so I'll leave it as is 
•  I tried a version where a shadow passes by behind her, startling her. I decided against it but maybe I was wrong
•  You're right: the last shot of him flying could be trimmed or even removed

The rest don't really bother me and I actually think the "mouth to mouth bit" is just goofy enough to work, now that most of the other humor is gone. Thanks again!

Horrifyingly Hillarous

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished watching and can honestly say that the movie couldn't have been better than this edit made it, for me the original cut always felt like it had promise but fell short because of the odd humor, weird music choices and editing. I can safely say that "A Nightmare on Friday The 13th" fixes most if not all of the issues. I'm a fan of both franchises but lets not kid ourselves, this isn't a good movie BUT this edit definitely makes it way better to sit through. Plus the little music edits such as adding the NOES and F13 themes subtly in the backround along with seeing Jason's previous kills really do help in making the movie feel like a proper sequel to both franchises. It isn't perfect but that isn't the fault of the editor here, its just the movie itself however this cut does make Freddy vs Jason a fitting entry and finale to the original NOES and F13 canon, Very much recommended.

Side note I think you should consider tackling the 2009 F13 reboot IMO that's almost a perfect F13 film save for a few things, need I mention the 2010 NOES remake (oh boy)

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Horrifyingly Hillarous said:
Just finished watching and can honestly say that the movie couldn't have been better than this edit made it, for me the original cut always felt like it had promise but fell short because of the odd humor, weird music choices and editing. I can safely say that "A Nightmare on Friday The 13th" fixes most if not all of the issues. I'm a fan of both franchises but lets not kid ourselves, this isn't a good movie BUT this edit definitely makes it way better to sit through. Plus the little music edits such as adding the NOES and F13 themes subtly in the backround along with seeing Jason's previous kills really do help in making the movie feel like a proper sequel to both franchises. It isn't perfect but that isn't the fault of the editor here, its just the movie itself however this cut does make Freddy vs Jason a fitting entry and finale to the original NOES and F13 canon, Very much recommended.

Side note I think you should consider tackling the 2009 F13 reboot IMO that's almost a perfect F13 film save for a few things, need I mention the 2010 NOES remake (oh boy)

Thanks for the review, I'm glad you enjoyed it! In my opinion, the FRIDAY reboot is worthy of a fanedit, but the NIGHTMARE one is beyond saving. Yikes, this movie.

Horrifyingly Hillarous

Reaction score
Trophy Points
thebutcher said:
Horrifyingly Hillarous said:

Thanks for the review, I'm glad you enjoyed it! In my opinion, the FRIDAY reboot is worthy of a fanedit, but the NIGHTMARE one is beyond saving. Yikes, this movie.
I agree, its been a while since I've watched the Friday reboot but off the top of my head I'd say trimming the insane porno sex scene would be a start as well as some of the more eye roll inducing jokes/dialogue

Top Bottom