• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Movies that Should’ve Never Been Spoiled By Its Marketing

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Inspired by the Never Should’ve Had a Sequel thread, I thought this was a good topic as we all have a lot of time to waste these days.

I thought of it because someone mentioned T2 in that thread. Terminator 2 pissed me off so much when I saw it. The movie was obviously made with the intention of the audience thinking Arnie is the bad guy up until he drops the box of roses. But all the marketing leading up to its release had made it clear that Arnie was the good guy this time.

In my opinion no sequel should be spoiled by trailers etc;. Trailers most of the time just ruin the great elements of the film.

On the subject of Terminator 2 Trailers, I think the 2015 version trailer did wayyy better with the trailer than the original.

Edit: Shouldn't this thread really be called Movies That Were Spoiled By Marketing as no film should ever be spoiled.

SonofSinbad said:
Edit: Shouldn't this thread really be called Movies That Were Spoiled By Marketing as no film should ever be spoiled.

It's different vernacular and says the same thing.

I was meaning for the title to invoke the title of the sequel thread that inspired it.

Moe_Syzlak said:
I was meaning for the title to invoke the title of the sequel thread that inspired it.

Oh okay, that makes sense.

The Amazing Spider-Man films had terrible marketing

I'm told that Castaway shows the guy being saved in the trailer.

As for marketing I've seen myself, I purposefully avoid trailers in recent years.

I also hear that Kangaroo Jack had some of the worst marketing. Not necessarily spoiled, but it was marked to the wrong audience.

Terminator Salvation. 
Terminator Genysis.
Revenge of the Sith (obviously most people knew Anakin would have become Darth Vader, but I think it would have benefited the hype and the expectations to not show him in the trailers)

Hulk should have been a surprise in Thor 3. Deckard as well in Blade Runner 2.

addiesin said:
Hulk should have been a surprise in Thor 3. Deckard as well in Blade Runner 2.

I was going to say that thankfully I missed the trailers for Blade Runner 2049, but then I remembered that Deckard is on the cover. Bleh.

addiesin said:
Hulk should have been a surprise in Thor 3.

From a storytelling standpoint I agree, but from a business/marketing perspective you can't not include him and miss out on more money!

AlarmingDrearyLeonberger-size_restricted.gif

Masirimso17 said:
addiesin said:
Hulk should have been a surprise in Thor 3.

From a storytelling standpoint I agree, but from a business/marketing perspective you can't not include him and miss out on more money!

AlarmingDrearyLeonberger-size_restricted.gif

The irony of marketing. I only know I want it because you showed me. But now that I've seen enough to want it, I've already seen too much to enjoy it.

willreturn.jpg

Every bloody time!

This is a particular pet peeve of mine.  I often retain some little nuggets from trailers even when I watch the film years later, and I suspect a lot of other people do too (subconsciously).  It's why you hear people say "I knew that was coming" even though a film didn't really hint at it much...they probably saw bits in the marketing!

I know a lot of people didn't feel this spoiled it, but I don't know how... I wasn't the slightest bit surprised by the big reveal in The Sixth Sense, because it's given away in the catchphrase of the film!  If you re-watch the film, you'll notice that the little boy's iconic line isn't given til after 2/3 of the way into the movie, at which point you've probably already made a lot of your own thoughts about Bruce Willis' character.  However, if you're like me, you had assumed the big reveal from the start, due to the marketing reveal.  I think the film is very much meant to make you wonder if the boy is acting out and has psychological problems, but if you know his catchphrase, that's ruined for you.  I can't wait to show the film to someone who's never seen a trailer or poster for it.

Back
Top Bottom