• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Goodreads

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anybody use the site http://www.goodreads.com ? I just discovered it yesterday through a friend of mine and I'm loving it. Once you register the site allows you to keep track of books you've read and books you want to read. You can also rate and review books, and once you've rated 20 books the site starts offering you suggestions of books you might be interested in based on your reading habits. It's a real cool site.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thanks for posting this Steph, will check it out :)

veggieguy12

Reaction score
Trophy Points
if you're into the online-book-community thing, there's bookmooch.com, for sharing your Did-Read books and getting some of your To-Read list in exchange.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you need another good reason to check out this site they have a giveaways section where you can enter to win free books. Some are advanced copies, some are signed by the author, and others are just regular books. I started going through the list yesterday and put my name in to win two books, I haven't gone through the full list yet, and last night just before going to bed I got an e-mail letting me know that I was one of 10 people to win a free copy of "Dutch Schultz: The Brazen Beer Baron Of New York".

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12595582-dutch-schultz

BTW has anyone else joined this site yet?

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
If you need another good reason to check out this site they have a giveaways section where you can enter to win free books. Some are advanced copies, some are signed by the author, and others are just regular books. I started going through the list yesterday and put my name in to win two books, I haven't gone through the full list yet, and last night just before going to bed I got an e-mail letting me know that I was one of 10 people to win a free copy of "Dutch Schultz: The Brazen Beer Baron Of New York".

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12595582-dutch-schultz

BTW has anyone else joined this site yet?

Probably only people in the US and Canada would be elligible for that stuff. :(

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dwight Fry said:
Probably only people in the US and Canada would be elligible for that stuff. :(

Actually, no. You'd be surprised how many countries are eligible. It depends on the book though. The ones that pop up the most are Canada, the US, and Great Britain, but I've also seen Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong etc. show up. And I just won a second book yesterday. They must of overnighted it because it was in my mailbox today.

The book is called "Confined Space" and is by Deryn Collier. It's her first book.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13565650-confined-space

The cool thing is that the book isn't being released until June 5th. And the copy I was sent is labeled as an "Advance Uncorrected Proof". It doesn't even have the finished artwork on it. The cover is completely red. It kinda makes me think of a manuscript. Pretty cool I though.

Have you joined the site though?

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
I just won a second book yesterday. They must of overnighted it because it was in my mailbox today.

The book is called "Confined Space" and is by Deryn Collier. It's her first book.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13565650-confined-space

The cool thing is that the book isn't being released until June 5th. And the copy I was sent is labeled as an "Advance Uncorrected Proof". It doesn't even have the finished artwork on it. The cover is completely red. It kinda makes me think of a manuscript. Pretty cool I though.

Nice. I just entered to win a couple of them.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Nice. I just entered to win a couple of them.

Cool. Good luck. I'm entered to win quite a bit myself. I keep checking back each day to see which ones are ending soon and which ones were just added.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Cool. Good luck. I'm entered to win quite a bit myself. I keep checking back each day to see which ones are ending soon and which ones were just added.

I saw that one of the determining factors of who wins is how active you are with the site. Since you check in so much that's probably increasing the chances.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
I saw that one of the determining factors of who wins is how active you are with the site. Since you check in so much that's probably increasing the chances.

I know that you have more chances of winning if you review the books that you win, but I must have missed the one about being active on the site increasing your odds of winning.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm convinced you're a schill for the site.

DJO

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Greetings to all!

I joined a wee while ago and am really impressed with the site! I like "Reading Goal" which lets you set a target number of books you would like to read in a certain period of time, nice little feature indeed.

:):):)

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone here on the site? Share your profile, and we can follow each other.

Here's mine.

Top Bottom