• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Halloween H20: The Final Showdown

youngy94

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
1tVW5WV.jpg

Fanedit Title: Halloween H20: The Final Showdown
Faneditor Name: youngy94
Tagline: "This Summer, Terror Strikes Again."
Original Movie Title: Halloween H20: 20 Years Later
Genre: Horror
Franchise: Halloween
Fanedit Type: FanFix
Original Release Date: 1998
Original Running Time: 86
Fanedit Running Time: 72
Time Cut: 14

Brief Synopsis:
After escaping her brother Michael Myers, Laurie Strode relocates to California and takes on a new identity. 20 years later, Michael returns to finish what he started.

Intention:
My goal with this edit is to bring back a more serious atmosphere like the previous Halloween entries in the franchise and to make it feel more like a successor to the first two movies. I also wanted to make the movie less about Laurie's conflict with her son and more about her confrontation with Michael and also improve the pace of the movie so Laurie's showdown with Michael comes quicker.

Recoloured the whole movie to have a more autumn look
Changed dimension films logo to orange
Trimmed intro & added movie title
Cut John going through medicine cabinet
Cut Laurie & John talking in the kitchen
Cut Laurie going to her office
Cut Ronnie saying "comb your hair"
Cut Laurie & Johns argument
Cut Ronnie saying "Psycho"
Cut Molly receiving flowers and talking to John
Cut Laurie leaving her office and talking to Will
Cut Molly & Sarah in there room
Trimmed Laurie drinking alcohol
Cut Charlie & Sarah preparing food
Cut Will saying "Well, that's sucky"
Cut most of Michael's CGI mask
Cut Charlie saying hi to Michael
Trimmed John punching The Shape
Added scene from Halloween Resurrection
Cut Ronnie talking on the phone
Added scene from Halloween Resurrection
Changed credits to orange
Changed dimension films logo to orange

youngy94

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have changed the movies look by making it look more like autumn which I think suits the tone of the movie better. This is a preview of how it will look and I think it looks much better, I'm interested in feedback

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
youngy94 said:
I have changed the movies look by making it look more like autumn which I think suits the tone of the movie better. This is a preview of how it will look and I think it looks much better, I'm interested in feedback

Without seeing people's faces i can't comment in regards to the total "look" of the edit, but in terms of creating that autumn look, i say that looks awesome! Nice work

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
youngy94 said:

That looks very good! I don't think I tweaked the colors of the daytime scenes that much in my H20 Fan Edit but I like what you're doing. I'd suggest lowering the saturation considerably, espacially on the blue/cyan, which makes it look a little artificial at the current level.

youngy94

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it  :)  I have been busy the past week and haven't had a chance to work on this but am getting back to it today  :)

OhhIDied

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
youngy94 said:

That's quite an improvement, buddy! Good job!

youngy94

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm unsure whether I should have these scenes from Halloween Resurrection which shows how Michael survived where they are and if it fits in well or if I should have these scenes at the end of the movie maybe before or during the credits. I'm interested in feedback on how it looks and what you all think would be better

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
youngy94 said:
I'm unsure whether I should have these scenes from Halloween Resurrection which shows how Michael survived where they are and if it fits in well or if I should have these scenes at the end of the movie maybe before or during the credits. I'm interested in feedback on how it looks and what you all think would be better

I think you have to include the establishing shot of the police and paramedics at the school somewhere. Here are 2 options I very quickly put together to show other possibilities. The sound is all over the place in my examples, as I think it will be the element that needs the most attention to successfully join the two movies together. 

Do I assume that Ronnie stays dead in your version?

youngy94

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thebutcher said:
youngy94 said:

I think you have to include the establishing shot of the police and paramedics at the school somewhere. Here are 2 options I very quickly put together to show other possibilities. The sound is all over the place in my examples, as I think it will be the element that needs the most attention to successfully join the two movies together. 

Thanks for the feedback  :)  I can't watch the video as it says "null - if the owner of this video has granted you access, please sign in" and yes Ronnie stays dead as having him survive being shot in the head is a bit silly

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
youngy94 said:
thebutcher said:
youngy94 said:

Thanks for the feedback  :)  I can't watch the video as it says "null - if the owner of this video has granted you access, please sign in" and yes Ronnie stays dead as having him survive being shot in the head is a bit silly

Oh I'm dumb! I set the video to Private by mistake. Give it a try now.

youngy94

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thebutcher said:
youngy94 said:
thebutcher said:
youngy94 said:

Oh I'm dumb! I set the video to Private by mistake. Give it a try now.

All good  :) I just watched the video and I like both of your options, I'm probably leaning more towards the 2nd one, thanks for your help as I was stuck with what to do  :)

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
youngy94 said:

I actually like the second one quite a lot.  It depends how you want this fanedit to play out.  Obviously by having the audience know that Michael is not the guy in the body bag when Laurie drives away, means that it changes the ending from one of being "hell yes, Laurie did it - she killed Michael"... to "Oh shit, she's just killed a paramedic"... it becomes a much darker ending - but if that's what you're going for, then great, I say use the Resurrection scenes in this.

The versions of the scenes that The Butcher also put in work quite well... particularly his first version.

All in all, good work... looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

youngy94

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is a rescore I have done, when Marion sees Jimmy dead. I think it sounds pretty good and I'm interested in feedback on how it sounds and if it suits the scene  :)

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
youngy94 said:
Here is a rescore I have done, when Marion sees Jimmy dead. I think it sounds pretty good and I'm interested in feedback on how it sounds and if it suits the scene  :)

Nice attempt at a rescore, with noise reduction techniques employed to take the original score out.  You can tell there's something not quite right with the original audio which is remaining, but that's usually the case when doing noise reduction work, so I think that's passable.  As for the music, the scene does work and it feels fitting.  Are you rescoring other scenes too?  In other words is this the intended style of music which will play throughout?

youngy94

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LastSurvivor said:
youngy94 said:

Nice attempt at a rescore, with noise reduction techniques employed to take the original score out.  You can tell there's something not quite right with the original audio which is remaining, but that's usually the case when doing noise reduction work, so I think that's passable.  As for the music, the scene does work and it feels fitting.  Are you rescoring other scenes too?  In other words is this the intended style of music which will play throughout?

I have done 3 other rescores that I think sound good, Michael chasing and killing Sarah, Michael chasing John & Molly and after Laurie cuts Michael’s head off. I will put a clip of them up later today :)

youngy94

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is some more rescores that I have done throughout the movie, I'm interested in feedback on how they sound and if they suit the scenes  :)

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
youngy94 said:
Here is some more rescores that I have done throughout the movie, I'm interested in feedback on how they sound and if they suit the scenes  :)

Okay.. love the music choices... however, in the first video you can hear the original score bleed through at 0.16, so that needs correcting.  Also, as I can see what you're going for here, you could make the world of difference by actually putting in some sound effects (i.e. sound replacement), as by using the noise reduction technique it does mean that apart from the actors voices and the music you can't hear much else - no footsteps, background ambience that kind of thing. 

So whilst I love the idea and style you're going for, I have to be honest and say that if you're going to try and do a lot of rescore work, it would be worth doing some full sound replacement.  For my edit, Halloween A Portrait of Terror, which features H20, I wanted to use different music for the final scene when Laurie steals the van and drives off with Michael in the back... I used music from Hallowee 5, but for the scene to work I had to do full sound replacement for about 95% of the scene - took a long time, but it was so worth it.

youngy94

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LastSurvivor said:
youngy94 said:

Okay.. love the music choices... however, in the first video you can hear the original score bleed through at 0.16, so that needs correcting.  Also, as I can see what you're going for here, you could make the world of difference by actually putting in some sound effects (i.e. sound replacement), as by using the noise reduction technique it does mean that apart from the actors voices and the music you can't hear much else - no footsteps, background ambience that kind of thing. 

So whilst I love the idea and style you're going for, I have to be honest and say that if you're going to try and do a lot of rescore work, it would be worth doing some full sound replacement.  For my edit, Halloween A Portrait of Terror, which features H20, I wanted to use different music for the final scene when Laurie steals the van and drives off with Michael in the back... I used music from Hallowee 5, but for the scene to work I had to do full sound replacement for about 95% of the scene - took a long time, but it was so worth it.

Thanks for the feedback, I never thought of doing sound replacement. I'm still new to this editing stuff so how does one go about doing full sound replacement and how long does it take to do it for a scene  :)

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
youngy94 said:
LastSurvivor said:
youngy94 said:

Thanks for the feedback, I never thought of doing sound replacement. I'm still new to this editing stuff so how does one go about doing full sound replacement and how long does it take to do it for a scene  :)

Okay, so you would need to search for sound effects to add in.. so, in other words you have to literally take all the audio that's currently in H20 and then rebuild it with new sound effects... sometimes if you're lucky there might be scenes elsewhere in the movie which don't have any music which you can steal stuff from - such as footsteps, or ambient background.  

A good source for this is Freesound.org 

Over the years I've built up quite a large sound effects library, and the key here is "patience" my friend.  It's quite daunting as a new editor and the sheer amount of time it can take will put a lot of people off.  

Anyway, here's a video I made a while back,  which basically gives you a look at how I do it.  If I get time, I'll also try and upload the H20 finale I created just so you can see how it looks and sounds after full sound replacement.

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
youngy94 said:
LastSurvivor said:

Here's my "recipe" to remove music, that I first discovered while restoring the original score for H20, funny enough. I'll go over each step quickly and you can look for more info as needed.

1- Extract 5.1 Surround audio from the movie
2- Separate each audio stem from the 5.1 track into 6 individual mono WAV files.
3- The Left & Right channels (both front and rear) can be easily edited to replace music. The center channel contains most of the voices and dialog, so it needs the most work to reduce music while keeping dialog.
4- Using the dialog-free tracks from the soundtrack release of the movie, I sync up the parts that I want cleaned-up with their corresponding music track. In effect, you have the music and the center channel

Top Bottom