• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

doubleofive's "Disney+ Should Offer the Star Wars Original Cuts", on WIRED

doubleofive

Reaction score
Trophy Points
https://www.wired.com/story/put-original-star-wars-on-disney-plus/

I finally published my history of the Special Edition, which actually breaks down every addition to the trilogy and how it actively harms the movie, and explains how both versions can live in peace.

I also reveal a mistake introduced in the SE that I’ve never seen pointed out before.

It’s quite a read, I hope you enjoy!

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is amazing.  Well done Drew!

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
doubleofive said:
https://www.wired.com/story/put-original-star-wars-on-disney-plus/

I finally published my history of the Special Edition, which actually breaks down every addition to the trilogy and how it actively harms the movie, and explains how both versions can live in peace.

I also reveal a mistake introduced in the SE that I’ve never seen pointed out before.

It’s quite a read, I hope you enjoy!

This was a fascinating read and a strong case made to release the originals. I like a few of changes listed here, but I agree whole heartedly with all your commentary. Great job!

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting read. Do you want them released exactly as they were theatrically? I think there are some good minor fixes that were done that I would be in favor of retaining. Things like improving the light saber effects. There are points in the Obi Wan duel where it looks like a stick.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's a really well written piece 005. Great job.

A persuasive argument for why these older versions should exist alongside the current ones. I'd never noticed that DS line-of-sight problem either and I'd also not thought about the fact that the new Jabba scene ruins the Falcon reveal (too busy worrying about all the other things it ruins :D ). I suppose I already realised the 97SE's were a test run for the PT in a vague sense but not in the detailed way you describe it. The seeming randomness and half-hearted nature of the changes makes way more sense when you've broken it down into shots that cynically tested different techniques on the cheap. Fascinating.

doubleofive

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Interesting read. Do you want them released exactly as they were theatrically? I think there are some good minor fixes that were done that I would be in favor of retaining. Things like improving the light saber effects. There are points in the Obi Wan duel where it looks like a stick.

We need the original work the way it was originally presented. ILM busted their ass for months and their work just isn’t there anymore.

Top Bottom