• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Go Like Hell - a Ford v. Ferrari edit

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points

Tagline: Ford, Ferrari, and their battle for speed and glory at Le Mans.

Synopsis: Go Like Hell is a light, but technically accomplished, edit that tightens and focuses the narrative of Ford v. Ferrari, resulting in what I believe is a stronger film. I loved the original release, but even in theatres found myself questioning the authenticity of some aspects, causing a dissatisfaction that I felt wasn't necessary.

Intention: The purpose of this edit was to focus the film more on the story of Ken Miles (played by Christian Bale), as well as to have more grounding in reality, and rid it of many clichés that sports movies and biopics often suffer from. For the first time, my goal was to make this a replacement for the original: I want this to be something I can revisit without my mind wandering out of the film's reality, while still maintaining the charm and integrity the original has, so there's nothing that feels missing or incomplete.

Changelog:
Original Runtime: 152 Minutes
New Runtime: 134 Minutes
  • 0:00:00 - "FE.org" 'Netflix-style' card and my own "CJM" logo card
  • 0:00:05 - Opening logos
    • 0:00:25 - Replaced audio with track #2 "Wide View" from soundtrack
    • 0:00:50 - "Fanedit.org Presents" text
    • 0:00:55 - "A Fanedit by CJ MacMillan" text
    • 0:01:09 - "Go Like Hell" text
  • 0:01:21 - Cut original Shelby opening, we now start with the Ford plant scene
  • 0:10:31 - Cut Shelby "Not yet."
  • 0:12:25 - Cut another Shelby "Not yet."
  • 0:12:28 - Cut another Shelby "Not yet."
  • 0:12:31 - Cut Shelby "Now."
  • 0:12:35 - Cut Phil "Nice move, Ken."
  • 0:25:14 - Restructured scene
  • 0:26:37 - Cut scene opening, now begins with Iacocca rolling up
  • 0:26:54 - Cut 'small-talk'
  • 0:28:39 - Cut excess shots
  • 0:31:46 - Cut shot of Shelby eating nachos
  • 0:33:08 - Cut Shelby flying the plane
  • 0:51:52 - Cut Miles 'self-monologuing'
  • 0:52:04 - Cut more of Miles' 'self-monologuing'
  • 0:52:12 - Cut more of Miles' 'self-monologuing'
  • 0:52:30 - Cut more of Miles' 'self-monologuing'
  • 0:56:37 - Cut Shelby "Oh yes."
  • 0:57:44 - Cut Shelby "...in Modena, Italy."
  • 0:59:45 - Cut excess shot of Shelby
  • 1:00:42 - Trimmed shot of Shelby
  • 1:09:35 - Restructured scene
  • 1:41:58 - Cut Beebe's call
  • 1:43:48 - Cut Peter "...the brakes!"
  • 1:45:54 - Cut 'nut' scene
  • 1:46:33 - Cut Miles "Let's do it."
  • 1:49:47 - Cut 'the Deuce' scene
  • 1:50:36 - Cut Beebe "Yeah."
  • 1:54:48 - Cut Shelby "Not yet."
  • 1:54:50 - Cut another Shelby "Not yet.:
  • 1:54:52 - Cut Shelby "Now."
  • 1:55:55 - Cut Beebe's freakout
  • 2:03:13 - Cut Shelby's voiceover
  • 2:04:35 - Cut Shelby catch-up
  • 2:06:14 - Cut Shelby "Tools are useful..."
  • 2:14:21 - Fin.

Please PM me if you'd like a link.

Last edited:
Here is the new intro I had in mind. While Shelby racing around is missed, I didn't enjoy the voice-over and think it did more harm than good. This new intro makes the 'premise' more clear. I think the new character introductions will work, too.
Password: fanedit.org

This was a fine film but toning down the sports-movie cliches is a great idea. The "evil" exec was taken too far. Having his own strong opinions and disagreements is one thing, going out of his way to try and make his own team lose was too far. If you can change it from "he wants them to lose", to "he wants them to win his way" that'd be awesome.

It felt to me like this was really Ken's story, rather than Carroll's but the movie keeps it strictly 50/50 between the two stars. I think you could bring a little more 60/40 focus onto Miles.

TM2YC said:
It felt to me like this was really Ken's story, rather than Carroll's but the movie keeps it strictly 50/50 between the two stars. I think you could bring a little more 60/40 focus onto Miles.

I agree with this, as well. As seen in the clip above, I've already cut out Shelby's opening, he still is introduced first but without any voice-over or 'back-story' - he's at Miles' race, and that's the first race we see on-screen. I also cut out Shelby repeatedly saying "Not yet." during that race, which I think just makes it a bit more intense, and of course less clichéd. So far I'm twenty-six minutes in (thirty-two in the original runtime)!

So I need a little help with something. I've cut further than this already, but I left a flag here because I feel like a more ambitious editor would have some ideas as to how to fix this.

I want to remove Beebe (the blond)'s little evil monologue, but there's no way I can think to do it without causing inconsistencies. If I cut right from Ford picking up the drink from his desk to him walking over to Iacocca, the drink switches hands and obviously Ford isn't at his desk. I think cropping Beebe out is possible, but if I did I'd have to rebuild the audio (wouldn't be that hard), and there would still just be a twenty second lull. I also had an idea about reframing the scene as a flashback, Ford asks what Ferrari said, and then we cut away to that. But, I still don't think there's any way to do that without these same issues arising.

Anybody have any ideas? I can post a longer clip with more context in both scenes if needed.

macmilln said:
So I need a little help with something. I've cut further than this already, but I left a flag here because I feel like a more ambitious editor would have some ideas as to how to fix this.

I want to remove Beebe (the blond)'s little evil monologue, but there's no way I can think to do it without causing inconsistencies. If I cut right from Ford picking up the drink from his desk to him walking over to Iacocca, the drink switches hands and obviously Ford isn't at his desk. I think cropping Beebe out is possible, but if I did I'd have to rebuild the audio (wouldn't be that hard), and there would still just be a twenty second lull. I also had an idea about reframing the scene as a flashback, Ford asks what Ferrari said, and then we cut away to that. But, I still don't think there's any way to do that without these same issues arising.

Anybody have any ideas? I can post a longer clip with more context in both scenes if needed.

I had a lot of fun playing around with ideas for removing Beebe talking :D . Thanks. Here are 5 ways to remove it:

1. A simple match cut to Ford walking (although the drink hand doesn't match as you pointed out).
2. Similar with a flipped shot so the drink does match up but it messes with the office geography more.
3. Inserting a Beebe reaction shot (from later in the scene) to give Ford more time to walk and I extended the awkward silence too with a bit of quiet audio from later in the scene.
4. Inserting a reaction shot of Iacocca (from later in the scene) to allow Ford to walk all the way over to Beebe (cutting just before his lips move), bang his drink and turn around.
5. (my favourite) Getting really creative... using the fact that we don't see Ford's face at first to play his "What exactly did he say?" question over him slamming the paper down and play Iacocca's response over the rest of the footage. I removed Ford walking up to the two execs and have him just walking straight over to Iacocca. I like that the "Our executives are son's of whores" line now plays over a shot of Beebe looking annoyed ;) . Because I used Beebe's shot already I had to shorten Ford's reaction to the "Henry Ford the II", which I kinda like, makes him seem angrier. The music now begins earlier as a consequence, which I also like. Then I inserted another reaction shot of Beebe (from later in the scene) to cover the time it takes Ford to walk back round to his desk (now that the Iaccoca reaction shot was already used). The last cut was timed to the beat of the music (because another reaction shot was already used up) but it's also timed so Ford maintains eye contact with Iaccoca, which I like.

Hopefully there are some ideas you can use in there.

@"TM2YC" thanks for this!

I've tried both one and two already - two also has a different 'error' where now the ring switches hands. Three and four both feel a little off to me for some reason, and the five is better anyways. I really like five, I may try to add another beat to the bar shot somehow when I recreate it, but everything else is honestly pretty genius. Again, thank you - I'll be sure to credit you in the "Special Thanks" section (I think that's what it's called) when this is released - and if I forget you can add it yourself, of course.  ;)

EDIT: Phew! That was a lot of work. Might post the clip but I think it's a bit redundant as it's the same as yours, frame-for-frame, just that those frames are a little crisper... The next thing I cut was the beginning of the next scene, with Shelby. It starts with Iacocca driving up - as opposed to that little opening with the kid's fireworks and Steve McQueen's Cobra. Then, I skipped Shelby's non-explanation of what the wrench was.

EDIT 2: Actually, I had another idea. After cutting to Iacocca driving up/introducing himself, instead of Iacocca repeating all the information that we just heard directly from Ford in the last scene, we can cut straight to Iacocca already sitting asking "So you're saying it's challenging" - this way the context is implied and there's the added benefit of less focus being put on Shelby.

Updates will, of course, be posted here.

While I did (and still do) laugh at Shelby flying the plane into the Mustang convention, I think it detracts from this being more about Miles, as well as tunes the film away from reality a little bit too far. I didn't think I'd be able to remove it, but the channels are actually fairly clean and I was able to make smooth audio transitions without the interrupting blare of a plane engine.

We now go from Miles walking out of the diner, straight to the convention (previously there was a short shot of Shelby eating nachos in between). Then Miles and Beebe have their little spat, we see the Mustang unveiled, and then Shelby walks up to Miles. No plane is heard of or mentioned! Here's the clip:

Started watching what I've done so far from the beginning, and I need some input as to whether this is something that needs fixing:

I've watched it too many times now to tell if it drags or not. I think it might be just okay, but I'd appreciate if someone else were to give input.

Edited some more yesterday, might as well share it!

I cut out Miles' monologue from when he's in the 'garage' listening, on the radio, to the race he was supposed to be in. I think it's a lot more contemplative now and a lot less clichéd, not relying on this 'trope' the way a lot of sports movies do.

Also, an update on what was said in OP (from my Ideas thread): I decided to keep in Mollie's freakout (in the car). It didn't bother me as much when analyzing for editing, I could remove that whole scene and just have it implied that Miles took the job, but that also means I have to remove a few shots that sort of 'pretense' Mollie's upset, which leads to awkward moments of editing. Alternatively, I could leave those shots in, but then it just kinda messes up the tone if we don't get that 'payoff' later.

The next scene up is Shelby's meeting with Ford, after they've lost Le Mans. I trimmed up the dialogue a small bit - I don't love the idea of Shelby getting this much screen-time, but that scene is quite vital and it comes across as more about the Ford/racing narrative as opposed to Shelby's personal one, so I guess it works out nonetheless.

I think I'm about halfway through the original runtime, might do another watch-through to lock-in what I've done so far (and possibly find a few more things that could be done).

I'm an hour and a half through the edit now, which translates to an hour forty-five of the original runtime. Just under an hour left to go, and I suspect there won't be much necessary in that final stretch. I've made more changes, which are reflected in the updated OP's changelog. Hopefully I'll have this edit done in the next few days, maybe even in time for it to be released at the start of next week!

Just finished editing the whole race at Le Mans, the three GTs crossing the finish line is paused on my other monitor as I write this. 
TM2YC said:
If you can change it from "he wants them to lose", to "he wants them to win his way" that'd be awesome

This was easier to accomplish than I thought it would be. Literally just had to cut out the one freakout he has where he demands that Shelby tell Miles to slow down, and rework some shots and dialogue throughout the race to show his annoyance more. Now it seems as though he was really upset, but too spineless to do anything about it. Which I think is much more fitting for the character, and definitely grounds it more into what I assume reality was like.

There's fifteen minutes left on my timeline, and I don't think there's much cutting to do. Was thinking about testing an alternate ending where Miles does win, just for my own fun, but it'd be a bonus and not apart of the official release.

While it's not as transformative as Passengers: Aurora, nor as epic as Avengers: Assembled, this may be my proudest edit yet. I truly feel it entirely enhances the original and will be serving as my replacement for the original.

@"TM2YC" thanks again for being pretty much the only one interested in this edit, and for helping me out, not just with this edit, but with [I think] all I've done so far along the road. (see what I did there ;) )

EDIT: Lol so just reviewing the closing minutes of the film, Shelby literally says "Sometimes... words are just, not useful." - after removing all the voiceover from the film, I can't help but feel the irony in that statement.

And that's a wrap! I watched through the workprint last night/this morning, found two things that needed fixing (one was just a rendering glitch), re-exported with no glitches this time, and now the upload has just complete.

Submitted to IFDB, so it should be up at the beginning of next week! (wonder if it'll get more traffic being up there...)

As always, PM me if you'd like a link!

macmilln said:
@"TM2YC" thanks again for being pretty much the only one interested in this edit, and for helping me out, not just with this edit, but with [I think] all I've done so far along the road. (see what I did there ;) )

No problemo. Unfortunately I don't own this yet :( . The blu-ray is way over priced for such a bare-bones package, even on 2nd-hand eBay. When it hits the bargain bins, or gets a release worth the money I'll definitely check out your edit.

Could a mod please move this to Fanedits? Thanks.

TM2YC said:
macmilln said:

No problemo. Unfortunately I don't own this yet :( . The blu-ray is way over priced for such a bare-bones package, even on 2nd-hand eBay. When it hits the bargain bins, or gets a release worth the money I'll definitely check out your edit.
17.99 USA bucks on bestbuy website
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ford-v...fgQNJCFMlFFlqixPJ9hoCdhkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

My dad watched the edit last night and pointed out a technical issue that I, nor my handful of friends who have watched the edit picked up on; I removed the center channel for one shot, but used that audio track for the few following shots - so there are mouths moving with no dialogue for two or three lines. I'll fix this, re-export, and re-upload the edit.

Sorry to anyone who has watched it in this state! I'll update this post when everything has been sorted out.

EDIT: Ugh, I don't even know why I removed the center channel there in the first place, I just added it back in and then cut the dialogue anyways... Exporting now, about thirty minutes left on the high-bitrate one, and then probably about the same on the lower quality one as well. Uploading will be the real pain - my upload speeds are already atrocious to begin with (I can get up to a gigabit download on Wi-Fi, but only about one or two megabytes upload...), and it's now amplified by the quarantine. Whatever, hopefully it'll be done by tonight.

FINAL: Forgot to update this last night - both encodes of the fixed edit are now uploaded. As always, PM me if you'd like a lnk!

Back
Top Bottom