• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Doctor Strange: Dark Dimensions

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
57k9oYE.png

Hey all, I'm back from an extended break. I've been gone beacuse life got in the way, then I (potentially) irreparably damaged the hard drive inside my computer and lost everything. Everything that was finshed awaiting release or was in the works is gone. So I kind of took a little break from the site while waiting for repairs. I won't get any news for weeks but we'll see.  

But I've started a little project to get me back in the NY Groove, a light Dr Strange edit. 

Just trimming up a few bad or ill-timed jokes around pop-culture references and that darn Cloak of Levitation 

CUTLIST 

- cut prologue with the Ancient One fighting Kaecilius and his zealots, now we only get introduced to the mystic arts as Strange does in the story
- cut "just Wong? like Adele or Beyonce?"
- cut "Try me Beyonce" and "C'mon she's a big star" and subsequent dialogue
- swap Wong's song while Strange is stealing his books from Beyonce to something else
- trim the Cloak of Levitation grabbing Kaecilius' hand twice while he tries to stab Strange twice
- trim the Cloak's extended scene of trying to point Strange towards the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak
- cut the Cloak trying to wipe away Strange's tears
- cut Wong laughing at Strange's joke about warnings
- replace the mid-credits scene with updated footage from Thor: Ragnarok to make it visually consistent

Theatrical - 1:56:58
Dugnutt Edit - 1:51:06

Current title ideas are as follows 
- Doctor Strange in the Dimension of Darkness
- Doctor Strange: Dark Dimensions
- Doctor Strange: Master of the Mystic Arts
- Doctor Strange and the Sorcerer Supreme  

I'm currently leaning towards one of the first two, particularly the first one to parallel with the upcoming "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness" but the title is up in the air at the moment 

Adding deleted scenes is something I always love, but there aren't too many good ones.

Strange helping a dog in Kathmandu is a nice scene but too much of a good act for him before he enters Kamar Taj. Don't know if I'll use it

The alternate ending included in the Infinity Saga boxset is also here for consideration. I like it as it continues Strange's love of music and has him being bested by Wong, a mention of Mordo and has him taking the Ancient One's private collection to improve his skills (something we see in IW as he progresses massively). It also matches the continuity of him wearing the Eye of Agamotto at the start of IW and in Ragnarok, which doesn't match up with the theatrical ending as he puts the Eye back. Anyway, should I use this ending?

CLIPS

Masked out the cloak from wiping away Strange's tears after Christine leaves him

Trimmed down the Cloak trying to pull Strange towards the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak

Great to have you back. My vote would go to including the alternative ending, not just because I felt it was more effective, but also to help make this light edit your own interpretation & distinctive from the original

Looks good! Alternate ending gets my vote. I have no strong feeling one way or the other about the deleted scene with the dog. I'd lean more towards leaving it out as you said, humanises Strange a bit too soon.

Looks great! I personally would cut the Thor scene too so it would fit with Ragnarok edits that cut the Doctor Strange scenes plus I always hated how it teased that Doctor Strange would be in Ragnarok but it was nothing more than a cameo.

Bobson Dugnutt said:
The alternate ending included in the Infinity Saga boxset is also here for consideration. I like it as it continues Strange's love of music and has him being bested by Wong, a mention of Mordo and has him taking the Ancient One's private collection to improve his skills (something we see in IW as he progresses massively). It also matches the continuity of him wearing the Eye of Agamotto at the start of IW and in Ragnarok, which doesn't match up with the theatrical ending as he puts the Eye back. Anyway, should I use this ending?

I would say yes, absolutely use the alternate ending. The humor is good, the character moments work as a really good payoff and sendoff, and it gives some breathing room for you to fully come to a stop just before the credits come up.

Masirimso17 said:
Looks great! I personally would cut the Thor scene too so it would fit with Ragnarok edits that cut the Doctor Strange scenes plus I always hated how it teased that Doctor Strange would be in Ragnarok but it was nothing more than a cameo.

Consider it gone then. We're down to 1:48:38. 

I've put the alternate ending it and noticed that they either digitally added the Eye of Agamotto in the alt. ending or removed it for the theatrical. 

HU9yXoc.png

Uv5Kz5P.png

Motleys Fanedits said:
I suppose this is your first FanFix in the new decade, right Bobson?

First one since Click: Fast Forward which was October 2018 I think?

I vote for the alternate ending as well, makes Strange's relationship with Wong have more ebb and flow to it.

As for replacing the Beyonce song Wong listens to (and this is going to seem like an odd choice), I'm throwing my hat in for "In The End" by Linkin Park, for these verses alone:

Time is a valuable thing
Watch it fly by as the pendulum swings
Watch it count down to the end of the day
The clock ticks life away

It's so unreal, didn't look out below
Watch the time go right out the window
Trying to hold on, but didn't even know
I wasted it all just to watch you go

On top of feeling that lyrics like this make the song itself rather timeless, they also feed into the themes of the movies, about how time eventually comes for all of us, and how multiple characters (Strange, Kaecilius, Mordo, even the Ancient One) all put so much time and effort into upholding some goal they wanted to achieve or some ideal they wanted to uphold only for it all to shatter and fall apart. In the end, their efforts didn't matter. :)

On top of all that, you don't even need to use the Linkin Park version of the song. There's a really good cover version of the song I discovered after the release of Endgame.

In fact, I first heard this cover in this video:

Thread moved to Inactive at editor's request. Good luck and fingers crossed for your HDD repair, @"Bobson Dugnutt" .
Hurray: @"Bobson Dugnutt" 's Doctor Strange edit continues development.

lapis molari said:
Thread moved to Inactive at editor's request. Good luck and fingers crossed for your HDD repair, @"Bobson Dugnutt" .

tenor.gif

Nic said:
As for replacing the Beyonce song Wong listens to (and this is going to seem like an odd choice), I'm throwing my hat in for "In The End" by Linkin Park, for these verses alone:

On top of feeling that lyrics like this make the song itself rather timeless, they also feed into the themes of the movies, about how time eventually comes for all of us, and how multiple characters (Strange, Kaecilius, Mordo, even the Ancient One) all put so much time and effort into upholding some goal they wanted to achieve or some ideal they wanted to uphold only for it all to shatter and fall apart. In the end, their efforts didn't matter. :)

On top of all that, you don't even need to use the Linkin Park version of the song. There's a really good cover version of the song I discovered after the release of Endgame.

I tried out Queen's It's a Kind of Magic, which had a far less subtle context relating to the film and fits pretty well timing wise.

The symbolic meaning of the song is actually pretty well thought out and it seems like something Wong could listen to. I really do like the original version of the song and I think it could fit, not to say that I don't like the cover (which I do love that edit) but it may feel too slow and dreary for the short scene unlike the faster Linkin Park version. I'll try using the OG one, which reminded me of the cheesy CG music video

And also, I think settled on a name and made a Blu-Ray cover

4MkISk1.jpg

Nic said:
I vote for the alternate ending as well, makes Strange's relationship with Wong have more ebb and flow to it.

Time is a valuable thing
Watch it fly by as the pendulum swings
Watch it count down to the end of the day
The clock ticks life away

It's so unreal, didn't look out below
Watch the time go right out the window
Trying to hold on, but didn't even know
I wasted it all just to watch you go

In fact, I first heard this cover in this video:

I second this idea. In The End is perfect, it's just dadrock enough and recognized enough that it still works as a joke, but it's still a solid song and would cause less eye-rolling. At least for the target demographic of a superhero movie.

I don't like the Linkin Park idea. I personally don't like their music (even as a teenager I thought it was for edgy teenagers, no offense if you like them but that's the audience I always thought they intended to have) and think it's just as dated a reference as a Beyonce song would be. I think something more classic/old would be better. I'm almost sold on the Queen idea but the piece used in the clip didn't quite work for me.

Top of the head brainstorms (that may be even worse):
Frank Sinatra - Witchcraft
Screamin' Jay Hawkins - I Put a Spell on You
Or maybe do something in a different direction:
Divinyls - I Touch Myself (the implied joke being that Wong is embarrassed to be caught listening to it)

Bobson Dugnutt said:
lapis molari said:

tenor.gif

Nic said:

I tried out Queen's It's a Kind of Magic, which had a far less subtle context relating to the film and fits pretty well timing wise.

The symbolic meaning of the song is actually pretty well thought out and it seems like something Wong could listen to. I really do like the original version of the song and I think it could fit, not to say that I don't like the cover (which I do love that edit) but it may feel too slow and dreary for the short scene unlike the faster Linkin Park version. I'll try using the OG one, which reminded me of the cheesy CG music video

And also, I think settled on a name and made a Blu-Ray cover

4MkISk1.jpg

Great choice on the name!

I thought the Queen integration was perfect. Added some real comedic timing! I loved that!

I've decided to export a workprint for viewing if anyone wants to see the how the film now flows. The cuts are pretty much all final and I welcome any and all criticism.

Bobson Dugnutt said:

I was thinking you could use the original LP version for what Wong is listening to, and then bring back the cover upon facing down Dormammu, starting the song around when the shouting starts (you know, "ONE THING!")

But yeah, "It's A Kind of Magic" works really well, too. Would love if you included it in the final confrontation with Dormammu.

Work continues on the edit as I've made another minor cut relating to a Google Translate joke. I masked out Wong to make the cut look something like an Edgar Wright transition 

I've been cleaning up a few of the cuts, so I'll be rendering out a 2nd and potentially final version in the next dayish.

Oh that was really cool!

I kinda liked the Google Translate joke tho :D

Back
Top Bottom