• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness" is an upcoming sequel to "Doctor Strange" (2016), and is currently scheduled to be released in 2021. It will star Benedict Cumberbatch as Dr. Stephen Strange and Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch.

Scott Derrickson (director of the first Doctor Strange movie) was originally going to direct the sequel as well, but recently left the project due to creative differences. Variety is now reporting that Sam Raimi is in talks to replace him.

Sam Raimi in Talks to Direct ‘Doctor Strange 2’ (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety

Scott Derrickson posted the following message on Twitter, seemingly confirming that Raimi will likely be the director:

I’ve worked with Sam Raimi. One of the nicest people I’ve known in the film business, and as a director, a true living legend. What a great choice to take over Doctor Strange.

Personally, this news makes me excited. Raimi's unique style and legendary accomplishments in both the superhero and horror genres make him a unique fit for a Doctor Strange movie.

Also, does anyone else remember this?

Last edited:

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Raimi would've been an excellent choice for a Doctor Strange film — over fifteen years ago. Frankly, I think he's a has-been who hasn't made a decent film since Spider-Man 2. Even if he was still firing on all cylinders, I can't imagine he'd be allowed to infuse his style into any entry in the Marvel Homogenized Universe.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
He's only made three movies since Spider-Man 2. Granted, Spider-Man 3 was pretty bad, but Drag Me to Hell was great, and Oz the Great and Powerful which he didn't write and the direction wasn't the issue with the film. He also wrote the fantastic pilot for Ash vs Evil Dead.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
He's only made three movies since Spider-Man 2. Granted, Spider-Man 3 was pretty bad, but Drag Me to Hell was great, and Oz the Great and Powerful which he didn't write and the direction wasn't the issue with the film. He also wrote the fantastic pilot for Ash vs Evil Dead.

Also, "Spider-Man 3" is such a mess mostly (if not entirely) due to studio interference. Raimi had the movie planned out (Sandman and the Vulture were going to break out of jail together, and Sandman was going to be sympathetic while the Vulture was going to be more evil and have a corrupting influence on him), but Avi Arad decided to make him put Venom (a villain that Raimi wasn't very familiar with and didn't care for) into the movie. Worse yet, Arad waited until pretty late in the process to do this, meaning that the script had to be rewritten in a hurry. Still, as flawed and messy as the movie is, some of its scenes are truly great. I would even argue that its best scenes are better than the best scenes of any post-Raimi Spider-Man movie.

As for "Oz the Great and Powerful", Raimi's direction was very good. Its flaws come mostly from miscasting (just Mila Kunis in my opinion, although some people would argue James Franco as well) and writing (the Wicked Witch of the West's origin story is a bit rushed). I think that the latter might even be due to editing, as there were scenes showing Evanora's gradual brainwashing and manipulation of Theodora that were cut for pacing. Those scenes might have made all the difference story-wise. Even with its flaws, the movie is miles better than any of Tim Burton's work for the same studio (Disney).

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I strongly disliked Drag Me to Hell. But different strokes for different folks, as they say.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sam Raimi has confirmed that he is directing "Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness".

In an interview with ComingSoon, he stated the following:

"I loved Doctor Strange as a kid, but he was always after Spider-Man and Batman for me, he was probably at number five for me of great comic book characters. He was so original, but when we had that moment in Spider-Man 2 I had no idea that we would ever be making a Doctor Strange movie, so it was really funny to me that coincidentally that line was in the movie. I gotta say I wish we had the foresight to know that I was going to be involved in the project."

Exclusive: Sam Raimi on Spider-Man 2 Doctor Strange Reference - ComingSoon

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really hope they go all the way with making this Strange a horror movie, there's not much tying me to this series anymore. Bringing Sam Raimi on is a good sign, fingers crossed for some whacky camera tricks

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Marvel has so far been very resistant to going full genre with their obviously genre characters.  Their pre-Avengers films were probably the most specific visions, with the first Thor looking and feeling very different to Incredible Hulk, and that to Captain America, etc.  You could argue that they've pretty much all been dragged to center and modeled after Iron Man/The Avengers since then.  

I would hope they feel comfortable enough to at least experiment a little bit though.  I'd love to see Shang-Chi lean more towards a heavy Martial Arts film, Eternals go into more hard sci-fi, Dr. Strange into horror, etc.  Sadly, it looks like we'll never get a real Viking Asgardian blood and metal Thor film, though.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Final trailer:

Sam Raimi Collider interview:

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have not seen this yet and have been trying to avoid any and all info about it after the 1st trailer, really. I see a bunch of pretty low ratings coming in on Letterboxd though...but then again, that community trends towards following Scorsese.
I will be seeing this soon for sure though....my local muliplex in Panama has literally stopped showing all other films. Every theater, every showing, all weekend is Dr. Strange. Other theaters seem to be following suit. I was going to go see The Northman actually, but I guess that's no longer an option.
I always thought Tarantino was bitching a bit too much when he said Marvel and Star Wars were pushing other films out of the cinema, but in this case it seems to literally be true...

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
my local muliplex in Panama has literally stopped showing all other films. Every theater, every showing, all weekend is Dr. Strange. Other theaters seem to be following suit.

That is crazy! I'd never heard of something like that

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched yesterday, very fun movie.

Raimi is a perfect fit for Dr. Strange. His iconic eccentric and wild camera styles work wonderfully with Strange's surreal world of sorcery.

This is a very Marvel Trope story, and I mean this in the classic sense.
You have a new young hero, with a tragic past, who has to learn to believe in herself to master her abilities.
You have another hero, misguided and travelling a dark path that could threaten all of reality.
And you have our lead hero, who is struggling with his own choices and their consequences.

These were the type of stories Marvel did better than anyone back in the 70s and 80s. Not that this is a throwback movie. As always, Marvel knows how to balance the classic elements for the Old Farts like me with the newest mythology for the modern fan.
It may be formula, but it is formula done very well.

Speaking of for fans, this movie probably has one of the best Fan Service Done Right scenes in any film.
Absolutely loved it and I gotta admit, it was the highlight of the film for me.

A solid, entertaining ride that I would place in the mid to upper range of the MCU. (y) :giggle:

Last edited:

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I enjoyed this about as much as No Way Home (which I think is a little over hyped but still very entertaining). Less than Endgame.

Loved seeing Wanda again. Wong becoming Sorcerer Supreme while Strange was snapped was not something that had occurred to me fully prior, and while it's weird that he's "demoted" in their made up hierarchy, it doesn't change his story, like, becoming Sorcerer Supreme again is not a plot point in the film, they still call him Master of the Mystic Arts. I just found that to be interesting enough to say something about without really spoiling anything that's in the movie. There are some good surprises worth being surprised by.

Is a star shape significant? Is it a pentagram? Who knows.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh yeah. It's definitely an MCU movie; writing, performances, effects, the things they all have mostly in common are recognizable here.

But it's also definitely Raimi behind that camera. You can see some of that even in the trailers.

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw it tonight. SPOILERS:

For me this was quite the dumpster fire. Unnecessary exposition throughout. Myoo haha I’m a villain and I’m gonna get you here’s how. Oh no we are now going to fortify our base. Another girl with magic powers Xavier tries to save. Terrible jokes (the guy beating himself up). After school special ending. Bad zombie face VFX. This was a big nope.

Top Bottom