• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Matrix Revolutions Decoded, The:

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Matrix Revolutions Decoded, The:

Outstanding.
I too, long ignored the Matrix sequels for their infinite bloat, so opposite to the timeless and abundant first iteration - which I still esteem as a personal all-time movie favorite.
Jerick's Decoded, however, expands so gloriously on everything the first part set on action and worldbuilding, that I might consider it not only the greatest sequel ever but maybe even better than the first part - a feat it fails only by paling in originality. Seriously.
Its beyond amazing how the narrative from the back-to-back sequels is tied neatly into a single story rather than a two-part, a direct continuation of The One's path that takes us along from the hidden doors in the Matrix to the steel-cold reality of Zion. The war between humans and machines is now the same personal conflict Neo faces in his epiphany, his journey for enlightenment is the choice in which the fate of humankind depends upon. There are no sideplots, no detours, no distractions. No frame or second is wasted, and all the characters have their place and role made crystal clear to move the story forwards. They do what they were made to do, and they know what they must know. It's so thematically fulfilling now, that the movie (edit) follows the mantra of purpose with the same devotion as its system inhabitants do. People are not having rave parties, crafting ammo, making love or getting stranded in train station limbo. The generous runtime of the edit actually spans a mere few hours to life or death of the human race. The stakes are high and there's a gripping sense of urgency throughout, and yet the pace is just perfect and the rush of events is only determined by their natural resolution.
The increased stakes, like so, inject a high-octane dose of adrenaline to keep one on the edge of the seat. The battle for Zion, particularly, has always been the most redeemable spectacle in Revolutions, but seeing it again by Jerick's narrative, its just breathtaking. I usually loathe the now widespread use of swarm drones CGI as a cheap trick to fake a sense of scale, but in the form of the relentless machine sentinels against the whole of Zion's military might is truly a sight to behold. It remains a hallmark of a SciFi powerhouse that really shines in Decoded. The overall shift in focus when compared to the first movie is a clear narrative direction that sidelines the encounters inside the Matrix to highlight whats in real peril in the real world. That unfortunately, is proportional to how good the sequences in these different realms look. Don't get me wrong, the practical and choreographed Reloaded sequences of the Burly Brawl and the Highway Chase are still stunt paradise, but honestly I expected them to be completely excised of the cringeworhty digi-doubles (ie. brawl Neo and Highway Agents). Whereas the Zion pieces remain impressive, the digital FX in the Matrix are still very fake-looking and could have been further trimmed.
It goes without saying by now that the editing is masterful, and while I have no gripes with seamlessness, there are some few bits where the scenes do feel contrived. Specifically when Smith confronts the Oracle and she barely reacts (to avoid changing actresses, I understand), and by the ending when Neo and Trinity travel to the Machine City. I thought Neo's lost sight was nice handled, but there's an unsettling feeling that Trinity does not belong in the scenes that follow (rightfully so).
Lastly, I think the implied retrieval of Neo is a nice touch, but that last shot of the ship winch should linger a bit longer before the credits roll, or... it should end with some scenes explaining what actually changed in the Matrix after Smith's purge. We know that Zion is still standing but what does it mean for the machines? What is next for humanity still plugged in the system? That's a hanger that worked in the first movie before anyone imagined of watching a sequel, and I think it would do wonders for the edit instead of it ending so abruptly in the real world. There are, of course, some unused shots shown during the credits, including one with Sati, but since she plays no part on the edit, it makes no sense to show her whatsoever. Also, the rave scenes would be really badass if they kicked in along with Juno Reactor during Navras, instead of making the whole of the end titles. Talking about titles, I'd love to have called it just "The Matrix Revolution" (in singular, yes).
I didn't think I needed Decoded before, but it lives up to its legendary status amongst fanedits.

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/matrix-revolutions-decoded-the/discussions/10823/

Top Bottom