• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Top 10 Movies of 2019

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I honestly have too many movies for 2019 left to see to make a real list myself, but I was disappointed not to see a thread like this already so I thought I’d start one myself. Let ‘er rip!

Edit: okay that’s a cop out. I’ll list movies in no particular order I’ve seen so far from 2019 that I actually enjoyed (to varying degrees). Still a cop out since this is more than 10 and many (most?) I expect to get displaced. I’ve bolded the current top 10. I’ve left off movies I’ve seen that don’t warrant consideration.

High Life
The Two Popes
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
The Irishman

Stan & Ollie
El Camino
Official Secrets
Endgame
Rise of Skywalker
Fyre
Black Godfather
The Great Hack
The Inventor
Booksmart
The Farewell

Ad Astra
Marriage Story
The Lighthouse
Dolemite Is My Name

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
3 From Hell
John Wick Chapter 3
Steven Universe the Movie
Uhhhh, now I'm drawing a blank as far as good 2019 movies. Avengers Endgame I guess, Batman Hush if that counts, the new Child's Play was pretty good, oh and I liked Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark.
I can't think of anything else. I haven't seen Irishman or Marriage Story which I'm sure are on most lists.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not in any particular order...
  • Avengers: Endgame
  • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  • Knives Out
  • Joker
  • Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
  • Ford v. Ferrari
  • John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum
  • Spider-Man: Far From Home
  • El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie
  • Doctor Sleep
Honorable Mentions:
  • Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile
  • It: Chapter Two
  • The Irishman
  • Motherless Brooklyn
  • Us
Watchlist:
  • Alita: Battle Angel
  • Dolemite is My Name
  • Jojo Rabbit
  • The Lighthouse
  • Marraige Story
  • The Report
  • A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
  • Uncut Gems

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Forgot about The Lighthouse and Us!

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
1. Parasite
2. The Nightingale
3. Apollo 11
4. Ford Vs Ferrari
5. Midsommar
6. Official Secrets
7. Hotel Mumbai
8. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
9. Dragged Across Concrete
10. Knives Out

Honorable mentions
Dolemite is my name
Rocket man
The art of Self Defence

Dishonorable Mentions
Rambo V Last Blood
Serenity
Polar
6 Underground

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's really not right that there's another Serenity, especially if it brings dishonor to the name.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Letterboxd has over 16,000 films listed for a 2019 release.  And yet, most critics "best of" lists contain the same 10 films or so from the past 2 months.  That's very telling.

I just find it super hard to get excited by these films that are released as obvious awards bait this time every year.  The next film by darling director X.  The newest quirky foreign film that people who know nothing about that culture will rave about.  <yawn>

I realized I think we had a pretty weak year in 2019 compared to the past few years.  I haven't even been very motivated to see many new films in the theater this year.  Most of the amazing stories are being told on TV now.  We really are at "peak TV".

Movie of the year for me was Joker.  I'm still holding out hope for 1917 though, which looks like it could be phenomenal (haven't seen it yet).

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
Letterboxd has over 16,000 films listed for a 2019 release.  And yet, most critics "best of" lists contain the same 10 films or so from the past 2 months.  That's very telling.

I just find it super hard to get excited by these films that are released as obvious awards bait this time every year.  The next film by darling director X.  The newest quirky foreign film that people who know nothing about that culture will rave about.  <yawn>

I realized I think we had a pretty weak year in 2019 compared to the past few years.  I haven't even been very motivated to see many new films in the theater this year.  Most of the amazing stories are being told on TV now.  We really are at "peak TV".

Movie of the year for me was Joker.  I'm still holding out hope for 1917 though, which looks like it could be phenomenal (haven't seen it yet).

Have you seen Parasite and Marriage Story? Those definitely are must-sees, even though I’ve only seen the former… twice, since I loved it! :)

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
And while it’s clearly the Awards Season bait type of film you claim to dislike, The Two Popes is excellent.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canon Editor said:
mnkykungfu said:
The next film by darling director X.  The newest quirky foreign film that people who know nothing about that culture will rave about.  <yawn>

Have you seen Parasite and Marriage Story? Those definitely are must-sees, even though I’ve only seen the former… twice, since I loved it! :)

Parasite actually fits both of these qualifications.  I did love Snowpiercer, so I don't want to dismiss this out of hand, but I hated The Host.  I'm just very wary of the film.  If I think of all the older films I haven't watched and decide which I want to make time for, this one falls lower on the list.
Marriage Story is in that first category I listed.  I think Noah Baumbach is insanely over-rated.  I do love Johansson, but I've seen great performances by her in films I didn't like, so I need more.  We'll see.

Moe_Syzlak said:
And while it’s clearly the Awards Season bait type of film you claim to dislike, The Two Popes is excellent.

Yeah, I saw TM2YC's nutshell review of it and it convinced me to add it to my queue.  I love both actors and find religious discourse interesting, so this is actually more up my alley than another relationship drama.

Thanks for the suggestions, all.  I feel like I'm the meme of that guy sitting at the folding table: "2019 sucked for movies.  Change my mind."  lol

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I concur that 2019 was weaksauce at the cineplex. How lame? The new M. Night Shyamalan flick was better than the latest Quentin Tarantino magnum opus, the new Pixar story was a snoozefest, and even the stuff I loved was sloppy (I'm looking at you Scorsese). My ranking list hurts my brain.

Top Ten --
10. Shazam!
9. Spider-Man: Far From Home
8. Midsommar
7. Jojo Rabbit
6. The Death of Dick Long
5. Avengers: Endgame
4. Joker
3. The Irishman
2. Knives Out
1. El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie

Bottom Three --
3. Aladdin
2. Escape Room
1. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
saw parasite and 1917 this week. liked 1917 a lot; loved parasite, which had me both giggling and nervewracked.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just caught 1917 this week.  Maybe my 2nd fav movie of this year.  I had to go to another country to see it, but it was worth it.  It really deserves to be watched on the big screen.  Should probably win for Cinematography, Editing, and Director.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My Top 10 in no particular
(still haven't seen Marriage Story, Irshman, or Parasite yet)

Avengers:Endgame
Joker
Ford v. Ferrari
Uncut Gems
Knives Out
Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood
John Wick Chapter 3
Ready or Not
Doctor Sleep

Honorable Mentions
Child's Play
Cold Pursuit