• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Ghost in the Shell 2017: Lean & Mean Edition:

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ghost in the Shell 2017: Lean & Mean Edition:

I anticipated seeing this edit for a long time now.
I liked the theatrical cut enough to appreciate it without the obvious comparison to the source material, but was always curious to check another take on it - mostly one that was praised to be more competent and straightforward.
However, to my disappointment, the edit tries to shorten the distance between the movie and its source material but ends up making one that falls short of both of them.
For better or for worse, the theatrical relied heavily on Major's backstory to keep its pace and character devolpment, and that's whats mostly compromised in the edit. Everything happens so lightning fast and the movie never stops to breathe any reason to be moving at all. At the core of Kuze's unveil there is originally a detective story, where Section 9 follows several clues and locations to spin a thin thread of what's going on. In the edit, this all boils down to scene-hopping from point A to point B with little cohesion. As a result, the Major is just taken for the ride. Even though as fans we're familiar with Motoko's stoic pragmatism, in the edit she's nothing more than an action doll who beats people, shoots people, stops once in while for a repair and go at it again. Whitewashing or not, the whole Mira subplot involving her past was necessary to give the movie any identity, even if it dumbed down the quintessensial Ghost in the Shell philosophical ramblings of self and soul to the cliché corporate conspiracy. On top of that, the removal of some lines either work or not. Like the aforementioned Major's subplot, some of the original lines present in the theatrical cut clearly wanted to convene a critique about ownership and autonomy of self on the information era. Even if the execution of these ideas was originally clunky (like the consent "silliness"), the edit is poorer for the complete absence of them.
To the edit's merit, it's well cut and I didn't see any jarring transition. The added scenes and music are great, and some of the overall fixes (like the movie's repeated title in the opening credits) do give the movie a subtle refinement. The encode is very good and make up for an already gorgeous looking movie - in my opinion, one of the most beautifully realised cyberpunk films ever shot.
Overall, I think, Lean & Mean is a technically great editing work that doesn't do the original narrative any favors.
If you thought Ghost in the Shell 2017 was already an forgettable adaptation, there's nothing to see here. The edit is surely leaner.

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/ghost-in-the-shell-2017-lean-and-mean-edition/discussions/10779/

Back
Top Bottom