• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Apollo 13: Go For Launch Cut:

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Apollo 13: Go For Launch Cut:

I loved Apollo 11 and I hadn't seen Apollo 13 in a long time, so I thought this would be a great way to rewatch Apollo 13. This is an unambitious edit, in that the editor kept 99.9% of Apollo 13 intact, only replacing 1 minute of footage. In that sense, it achieves its goal. The A/V is perfect quality and the editing is invisible. The new shots are barely noticeable and if you had watched this blind, you wouldn't know a single frame was different.

But Apollo 13 is a relatively long movie and I really would've liked to see a more ambitious cut of it (but not as ambitious as Rogue-Thex's excellent Super 8 Cut). There's lots of excess here that could have been jettisoned. The whole family on the ground drama is the obvious choice, especially because the tension never pays off. We sit through endless scenes of Lovell's family going through hell as the ship hits roadblock after roadblock only to have the movie end before he's reunited with them.

As a fanedit, I can't really recommend this over the original. It's too similar and your experience won't really be any different. If it's been a while since you've seen Apollo 13 or if you've never seen it, check out this edit, if only for the fact that it's still a great movie.

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/apollo-13-go-for-launch-cut/discussions/10759/

Top Bottom