• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Arthur C. Clarke's 3001: The Final Odyssey

Cero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So it's been a while since I read this book but when I've heard people talk about it, it's almost always been a source of derision and disappointment, with the most commonly cited reasons being its disconnection of continuity with the previous sequels and perceived attempt to be more action/adventure over the more cerebral approach its predecessors took. And yet, I can't seem to find any sources online that talk about the book's reception. Does anyone have the book or remember reading it?

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I read it back in 1999/2000. Aside from
Frank Poole being resurrected
and people flying dragons, I remember nothing about it.

Cero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, robot dragons anyway. I feel like the distinction is important somehow.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just remember than I liked the 4 books less and less...

MovieMaven

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Clarke claimed he never intended all four books to be in the same continuity - more like "variations on a theme", which I think were his exact words. (Maybe he meant it, and maybe that was his excuse for not being hassled about consistency.)

Wasn't impressed by his Year 3001 - it didn't sound like a place I'd like to live in. (And what was with the Society for Creative Anachronism being taken over by Pern fandom anyway? That was one of the least believable parts of a not particularly believable story.)

Top Bottom