• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Twin Peaks EXPLAINED

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I apologize if this has been mentioned before but I couldn't find it.

For a long time Twin Peaks fan like me, possibly the greatest fan video of all time was released about 2 months ago, I just discovered it for myself. I never considered this show could possibly have a comprehensive explanation that could be considered the correct interpretation for what this show was about, but after watching this video there is no doubt in my mind that he is correct. This Youtuber "Twin Perfect" is now and will forever be my hero. There is a comprehensive spoiler at the start of the video so I don't feel the need to include one here.

I believe this video could serve as the basis for a completely new Twin Peaks fanedit one day and I hope one of you brave individuals makes it happen!

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’ve started to watch this but FOUR AND HALF HOURS!? Geez, I’m not sure I’m going to make it, even as much as I love Twin Peaks.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Phew! Made it through the whole thing. Like most things of this nature, I think there are some real stretches being made here to contort things to fit his narrative. That said the overall idea behind it works for me. Especially for the Return. If nothing else it really made me examine my thoughts on the concept of closure. Things like Lost and Game of Thrones were great rides that left many cold because they never got the closure they wanted. The same could be said for Star Wars as a whole. It’s one of the reasons I love more open ended conclusions like Sopranos. But obviously most don’t share that view. Though like everyone else I mostly disliked what came after the mystery of who killed Laura Palmer was solved I’ve always loved the finale as it too was rather open ended. And this theory does nothing but make me love it even more. The Return is probably something I’ll never revisit, but I do like his take on it. If true of course that’s one giant middle finger from Lynch. Lol.

@"jerick" , I’m curious how you see this as a template for an edit.

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
@"jerick" , I’m curious how you see this as a template for an edit.

I think a clever editor could utilize the theory presented in this video to extract the elements of the show that fit this interpretation of the theme/narrative and at the same time eliminate the narrative elements that were likely headed up by Frost and others that don't necessarily comport with Lynch's supposed intention.

I for one would definitely watch that project.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched. Though the run time made me hesitant, I pushed through it over a few days.

While he has put a lot of time (ha), thought, and effort into the video, and I enjoyed it, I don't fully buy into the meta story explanation. It comes across to me like a conspiracy theorist explaining how Paul must be dead. Despite the narrator saying it's something you can't unsee, and having some solid points overall about Lynch and the franchise, I just don't think Lynch thinks through everything he does that deeply. Like a more confusing version of JJ Abrams's mystery box technique. If course that very approach is what many find so frustrating, yet is also what fans find appealing. The illusion of a solvable mystery.

So I don't think the video distinguishes itself enough from other "crackpot-style" fan theories to be convincing enough to believe. Still, fun to watch if you're already into Twin Peaks and have consumed all the franchise has officially offered so far.

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
I watched. Though the run time made me hesitant, I pushed through it over a few days.

While he has put a lot of time (ha), thought, and effort into the video, and I enjoyed it, I don't fully buy into the meta story explanation. It comes across to me like a conspiracy theorist explaining how Paul must be dead. Despite the narrator saying it's something you can't unsee, and having some solid points overall about Lynch and the franchise, I just don't think Lynch thinks through everything he does that deeply. Like a more confusing version of JJ Abrams's mystery box technique. If course that very approach is what many find so frustrating, yet is also what fans find appealing. The illusion of a solvable mystery.

So I don't think the video distinguishes itself enough from other "crackpot-style" fan theories to be convincing enough to believe. Still, fun to watch if you're already into Twin Peaks and have consumed all the franchise has officially offered so far.

Dang you guys are killing me :) I watched the whole thing twice and gave it all the skepticism I could muster, but how it completely explains Jeffries, Cooper, and the shifting stories of the main characters from the original to "The Return", not to mention so many of the strange effects, side characters, plot devices, etc. I just can't be skeptical anymore. But to each their own!

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I started to watch the video sometime back. Watched the first hour, I believe, then put it aside. I was going to watch the rest of it, but haven't gotten to it yet, and frankly, don't know if I will.

Thing about my relationship with Lynch, I'm not really concerned with the "meaning" underlying his projects. I enjoy his stuff for the imagery and atmosphere alone. Fan theories explaining his works can be interesting, but often times they're just needlessly demystifying. So Bill Pullman's character in Lost Highway is having a fever dream brought on by the guilt of killing his wife, for instance. Okay, fine — how does that add anything of value to what I just watched? It just detracts from the experience, if anything.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched this video, it was very interesting. My thoughts pretty much align with Moe, I don't have much to add. It seems the creator of the video has a couple of followup videos which I shall now watch.

Top Bottom