• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Re-Edit (Magnoliafan)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Original film name: Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace
New film name: Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Re-Edit
Film studio name: LucasFilm
Edit crew name: The original faneditors are anonymous. Remastered by Magnoliafan
Date original film was released: 1999
Date edit was created: ?
Date edit was released: 3/25/2009
Original runtime: 133 minutes
New runtime: 119 minutes
Amount of time cut/added: 14 minutes

Summary:

Right after the famous "The Phantom Edit" came out, another edit of "The Phantom Menace" surfaced, called "The Phantom Re-Edit", also known as "The Phantom Edit 1.2" or "The New York Version". This was released and distributed via VHS tape by an anonymous group. Acquiring a low generation copy was very rare.

So... Magnoliafan used one of these rare tapes as a source and REMASTERED the fanedit using DVD sources to allow for easier trading and improve the quality of trades by removing the quality loss from making Nth generation copies.

THIS is what is released here, known as "The Phantom Edit 1.2 Magnoliafan Remaster" on SL DVD.

Review:

It looks and feels like Star Wars, from the very beginning...

No longer are the Neimoidians bumbling idiots unknowingly aiding the evil Lord
Sidious, they are now more apart of the Phantom Menace than before. The
editors have scrambled up their seemingly Chinese moniker with a new garbled
alien language that must be subtitled. The effort (which improves as the film
goes along) is both believable and convincing.

Jar Jar now speaks in a garbled version of Ahmed Best's voice, with very
different subtitles below the widescreen bars. Instead of being his usual stuff
you are familiar with, he now takes an active role in the solutions of the
movie. Instead of being a casual bystander to the action and direction of the
plot, the character now instigates solutions including the alliance between the
Naboo people and the Gungans, and mentions how upset the Gungans will be if they
disturb their aquatic domain.

This is a far more extensive edit of the original movie, making Jar Jar into a
Jedi-like Sage, maturing up all of the Gungans and tons of minor cuts, edits and
changes to pacing throughout. Speaking of cuts, the film runs at a fast-paced
118 minutes, so there's been plenty of new deleted scenes though all of the
action. Wipe transitions and music has been melted back together so it is hard
to tell the difference from how it originally went. There are no new added
scenes in the movie, just new cuts, transitions and edits to move the story
along a bit faster.

- Review was Remixed/Edit for fact Errors by RiKter Blaksvn - with parts
originally written by Joshua Griffin

References:

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic. ... #post53039

DVD Release info:

Media - Region 0 DVD5
Format - NTSC
Frame rate - 29.97
Aspect - 4:3 Letterboxed Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio - 5.1 AC3, 448 kbps
Subtitles - HARD CODED ENGLISH SUBTITLES FOR ALIEN DIALOGUE
Presentation - Static menus with information on the edit and a breakdown of Magnoliafan's necessary changes from the VHS version.

NTSC SL DVD Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

Any way someone'd be kind enough to get a torrent going?

it won't be me. my upload is atrocious! took me about 5 days of continuous upload to get the RS uploaded - a torrent would take 2-3x (or more) longer...

Okay, I just read on the OT forums that Magnoliafan is rumored to be Kevin Smith. Can anyone elaborate on where and why this rumor started?

ab5tract said:
Okay, I just read on the OT forums that Magnoliafan is rumored to be Kevin Smith. Can anyone elaborate on where and why this rumor started?
They used to also say the same thing about the Phantom Editor (that Kevin Smith was the PE).

its also rumored that boon23 is Kevin Smith.

The Phantom Editor was also rumored to be Kevin Smith.
It is known that KS does indeed create his own edits of his favorite movies and among these is SW, but he never published them, of course and also does not go incognito to forums to gain attention. AND: magnoliafan's fanedits are not good enough from the technical side to be the work of a true pro.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So why is Kevin Smith always proposed?

Besides, everyone knows boon is Roman Polanski ;)

[Edit: Okay, boon just answered my question as to why KS is proposed, he makes his own edits. I hadn't seen the MagnoliaFan edit but if it was rumored to be KS I figured that meant it must be technically great. I guess not...]

ab5tract said:

Here's a link to some comments Kevin Smith made about P.T. Anderson's film "Magnolia". http://filer.case.edu/~bcl3/

Then, in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, when the two team up with Ben Affleck, he opens their eyes to an insidious thing called "The Internet," where a website called moviepoopshoot.com has message boards on which anonymous posters like "MagnoliaFan" are dissing the pair.

No wonder Roman Polanski doesn't make that many films anymore. He's too busy uploading stuff to Rapidshare. :smile:

As to the Re-Edit itself, I had been looking forward to this one for a long time. The Jar Jar dialogue changes were excellent - some of the best Jar Jar editing I've seen. The viewer can tell that this was a relatively early attempt at fan editing though. Video and audio are pretty bad and the Neimoidians still sound Chinese. One can often hear the original dialogue underneath the garbles and the characters still come off as bumbling idiots. Jake Lloyd is Jake Lloyd. The editor dumped a few dopey exclamations, but Jake Lloyd is still Jake Lloyd through and through, since he was very little.... three I think. :x

Also, it's not presented in "real" 16x9, which means it will look okay on your standard monitor, but not on your HD flat panel.

But in the end, the major annoyance that was Binks is so incredibly better. It's clear that this work laid a great foundation for later editors, but if it were released last year it might be little maligned.

this is all going to be very confusing as TPE's DVD is also called the phantom edit 1.2.

...that's kinda why i refer to it as "the phantom re-edit (new york version)"

Anybody care to the compare the language changes in this edit the quality of FatherMerrin's? It is mentioned earlier in the thread that there is some slightly jarring transitions and such, while Merrin's track sounded seamless to my ears.

Or comparisons to other edit's? For instance one language substitution that made me turn the movie off was Rise of the Empire. Obviously it is not that bad or others would mention it, I am just curious for more info before I consider adding another TPM edit to my list.

buddythegoon said:
Jake Lloyd is still Jake Lloyd through and through, since he was very little.... three I think.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, total n00b question here.

I know rapidshare, but what the heck is linktalk? This is the first time I've heard of it. Googled and not sure how to use it. Could anyone please explain it to me?

you need to sign up.

ab5tract said:
Anybody care to the compare the language changes in this edit the quality of FatherMerrin's? It is mentioned earlier in the thread that there is some slightly jarring transitions and such, while Merrin's track sounded seamless to my ears.

Thanks. :smile: My time in Uni studying to be a Sound Engineer wasn't completly wasted then. :lol:

I don't have a rapidshare acct. Is there a torrent available for this anywhere?

Back
Top Bottom