• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars Reimagined: The Princess of Alderaan (A Screenplay)

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some months ago, I began work on an OT rewrite. I was in the process of rewriting SW '77 when I lost faith in the concept and trashed the script. Since then, my interest in an OT rewrite's resurfaced and I've resumed work on it.

My previous OT rewrite was going to be a deconstruction of Lucas' OT, but this one won't be. I'm no longer interested in tearing Star Wars down/turning it inside out; Disney's done a swell enough job of that already. I'm interested now in putting Humpty Dumpty back together again and giving him an amazing Technicolour paintcoat in time for next Easter.

Last edited:

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
EXT. SPACE

TITLE CARD: A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away….

A vast sea of stars serves as the backdrop for the main title, followed by a rollup, which crawls up into infinity.

STAR WARS

Episode VI

THE PRINCESS OF ALDERAAN

It is a period of civil war. Rebel starships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire.

During the battle, Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire's ultimate weapon, the DEATH STAR, an armoured space station with enough power to destroy an entire planet.

Pursued by the Empire's sinister agents, Princess Leia races home aboard her starship, custodian of the stolen plans that can save her people and restore freedom to the galaxy….​

PAN DOWN

To the awesome topaz planet of Tatooine, her two moons glowing against the darkness.

A tiny CR90 corvette, the Tantive IV, races through the æther. It's followed by the Devastator, an immense Imperator-class Star Destroyer. The two vessels trade volleys of deadly red-&-green laserfire. A laser bolt streaks from the Imperial warship, piercing the Rebel craft's aft deflector shield.

INT. TANTIVE IV/MAIN CORRIDOR

An explosion rocks the ship as two robots, ARTOO-DETOO and SEE-THREEPIO, struggle to make their way through the turbulent passageway. Artoo is a short, barrel-shaped tripod, his face a mass of computer lights surrounding a radar eye. Threepio, on the other hand, is a tall, slender robot of Human proportions, his bronze plating of an Art Deco design. Both robots are old and battered. Klaxons wail as REBEL SECURITY OFFICERS rush past the robots.

C-3PO

Did you hear that? They shut down the main reactor. Madness, this is madness. We'll be destroyed for sure!​

The Rebel officers take up position in the main passageway. They aim their weapons towards the entry hatch.

C-3PO

We're doomed.​

The little dwarf robot makes a series of electronic sounds that only another robot could understand.

C-3PO

There'll be no escape for the captain this time.​

Tension mounts as loud metallic clangs are heard around the outside of the ship.

C-3PO

What's that?​

EXT. SPACE

The Devastator's overtaken the Tantive IV. The smaller Rebel ship's being drawn into the underside dock of the giant Imperial starship.

The nervous Rebels keep their weapons trained on the hatch. Suddenly, a tremendous blast opens it up, allowing a score of fearsome IMPERIAL STORMTROOPERS, armed with powerful blaster rifles, into the smoking corridor. They blast out several shots that rip through the Rebel officers.

In moments the entire passageway is ablaze with laserfire. The deadly red-&-blue bolts ricochet in wild, random patterns, creating small explosions. Their fire imparting little damage to the stormtroopers' reactive armour, the Rebels break and run in a frenzied panic.

As the battle rages around Artoo and Threepio, the two hapless robots scramble to safety.

A deathly quiet settles over the corridor. As the Imperial troops check the fallen for signs of life, an awesome, two-metre-tall figure makes his way into the light of the main passageway. This is DARTH VADER, the Dark Lord of the Sith. In black-&-chrome armour and flowing black robes and cloak, his face obscured under a grotesque death's head breath mask, he stands out next to the white armoured Imperial stormtroopers.

INT. TANTIVE IV/SUBCORRIDOR #1

A girl's hand slips a datacard into an opening in Artoo's dome.

INT. TANTIVE IV/SUBCORRIDOR #2

Threepio stands in another hallway, somewhat bewildered. Artoo is nowhere in sight. The pitiful screams of the doomed rebel soldiers can be heard in the distance.

C-3PO

Artoo-Detoo, where are you?​

A familiar clanking sound attracts Threepio's attention. He spots little Artoo at the end of the subcorridor in an alcove. Kneeling in front of Artoo, the beautiful sixteen-year-old PRINCESS LEIA ORGANA. Dreamlike and half-hidden in the smoke, the brunette finishes adjusting something on his computer face. Threepio takes only momentary notice of the girl and then she's gone. The little robot joins his companion.

C-3PO

At last! Where've you been? Hiding, I suppose.​

Stormtroopers can be heard in the distance.

C-3PO

They're heading in this direction. What are we going to do‽ They won’t trust the word of Rebel-owned machines that we don't know anything of value. We'll be sent to the spice mines of Kessel or smashed into who-knows-what!​

Artoo scoots past his bronze friend and races down the subcorridor.

C-3PO

Wait a minute, where're you going?​

Threepio chases after him.

INT. TANTIVE IV/SUBCORRIDOR #3

The evil Darth Vader stands amid the broken and twisted bodies of his foes. The Dark Lord holds the wounded CAPTAIN RAYMUS COLTON by the neck as a stormtrooper strides up to him.

STORMTROOPER #1

The Death Star plans are not in the main computer.​

Vader squeezes the neck of the Rebel officer, who struggles in vain.

DARTH VADER

Where are those transmissions you intercepted? What have you done with those plans‽

CAPT. COLTON

(choking) We intercepted no transmissions! This is a consular ship! We're on a diplomatic mission!

DARTH VADER

(angry) Chaos take your mission!​

Vader tightens his grip around Colton's throat.

DARTH VADER

If this is a consular ship, where is the ambassador?​

The Rebel can no longer speak. There is a gruesome snapping and gurgling, then Colton goes limp. Incensed, Vader tosses the dead captain against the wall and turns to his troops.

DARTH VADER

Commander, tear this ship apart until you've found those plans. And bring me the ambassador. I want her alive!

The stormtroopers scurry into the subcorridors.

INT. TANTIVE IV/SUBCORRIDOR #4

Leia has concealed herself in a small alcove as the stormtroopers search through the ship. One of the troopers spots her.

STORMTROOPER #2

There she is. Set for stun.​

Leia steps from her hiding place and shoots the trooper in the face with her blaster pistol. She starts to run but is felled by a paralyzing ray. The troopers inspect her inert body.

STORMTROOPER #3

She'll be alright. Inform Lord Vader we have a prisoner.​

INT. TANTIVE IV/LIFEPOD BAY

Artoo stops before the small hatch of an emergency lifepod.

C-3PO

You've led us through half the ship, and to what…?​

Artoo snaps the seal on the main latch; a red warning light begins flashing. The stubby robot works his way into the cramped four-person pod.

C-3PO

Hey, you're not permitted in there! It's restricted. (beat) We just might be able to convince the Imperials that we're not Rebel-programmed and are too valuable to break up, but if someone sees you in there we haven't got a chance. Come on out.​

Artoo, not happy with Threepio's stubbornness, beeps and twangs angrily.

C-3PO

Don't call me a mindless philosopher, you overweight glob of grease! Now come out before someone sees you.​

Artoo whistles something to his reluctant friend regarding the mission he's about to perform.

C-3PO

Secret mission? What plans? What are you talking about? I'm not getting in there!​

A new explosion, this time very close, sends dust and debris through the narrow subcorridor. After a flurry of electronic swearing from Artoo, the lanky robot slips into the lifepod.

C-3PO

(resigned) I'm going to regret this.​

The safety door closes.

EXT. TANTIVE IV

With the thunder of exploding latches, the tiny lifepod's ejected from the disabled corvette.

INT. DEVASTATOR/BRIDGE

On the main viewscreen, the lifepod carrying the two robots speeds away from the stricken Rebel spacecraft.

CHIEF GUNNERY OFFICER

There goes another one.

CAPTAIN

Hold your fire. There's no lifeforms. It must've short-circuited.​

INT. LIFEPOD

Artoo and Threepio look out at the receding Star Destroyer.

C-3PO

That's funny, the damage doesn't look as bad from out here. (beat) Are you sure you know how to pilot this thing?​

Artoo beeps a assuring response.

C-3PO

Oh.​

EXT. SPACE — TATOOINE

The reddish-yellow mass of Tatooine seems to engulf the tiny lifepod as it descends through the æther towards the planet.

Princess Leia, hands bound, is led along by a squad of briskly marching stormtroopers. They stop in the hallway as Darth Vader and an Imperial commander emerge through a hatch. The sinister Dark Lord stares hard at the slight young senator, but she doesn't flinch.

LEIA

Darth Vader, I should've known. Only you could be so bold. (beat) The Imperial Senate will not sit still for this. When they hear you've attacked a diplomatic —

DARTH VADER

(interrupting) Don't play games with me, Your Highness. You weren't on any mercy mission this time. You passed directly through a restricted system, ignoring numerous warnings and completely disregarding orders to turn about — until it no longer mattered. (looming in close) I know that several transmissions were beamed to this vessel by spies within that system. When we traced those transmissions back to the individuals with whom they originated, they had the poor grace to kill themselves before they could be questioned. I want to know what happened to the data they sent you.

LEIA

I don't know what you're talking about. I'm a member of the Senate on a diplomatic mission to —

DARTH VADER

(interrupting) Your part of the Rebel Alliance. You're also a traitor. (to troops) Take her away!​

Leia is marched away though the blasted entrance. The Imperial commander turns to Vader.

IMPERIAL OFFICER #1

Holding her is dangerous. If word of this gets out, it could generate sympathy for the Rebellion in the Senate. She should be destroyed immediately.

DARTH VADER

No. My first duty is to locate that hidden fortress of theirs. All the Rebel spies have been eliminated. Therefore she is now my only key to discovering its location. I intend to make full use of her. If necessary, I will use her up — but I will learn the location of the Rebel base.

IMPERIAL OFFICER #1

She'll die before she'll tell you anything.

DARTH VADER

Leave that to me. (beat) Send out a wide-band distress signal. Indicate that the senator's ship encountered an unexpected meteor cluster it could not avoid. Inform her father and the Senate that all aboard were killed.​

Another Imperial officer approaches Vader and the commander.

IMPERIAL OFFICER #2

Lord Vader, the battle station plans are not aboard the ship. There is no valuable information in the ship's storage banks and no evidence of bank erasure, nor were any transmissions directed outward from the ship from the time we made contact. A malfunctioning lifepod was ejected during the fighting, but it was confirmed at the time that no lifeforms were on board.

DARTH VADER

It could have been a malfunctioning pod — that might also have contained datacards. (beat) Send down a detachment to retrieve them, or to make certain they are not in the pod. We cannot take the chance it was a simple malfunction. See to it personally, Commander. There'll be no one to stop us this time.

IMPERIAL OFFICER #2

Yes, sir.​

EXT. TATOOINE — JUNDLAND — DAY

A death-white wasteland stretches from horizon to horizon. The tremendous heat of the twin suns settles on the lifepod, which rests half-buried in the sand. Having left the lifepod, the two droids clumsily work their way across terrain where rugged desert mesas meet a foreboding dune sea.

C-3PO

What a forsaken place this is. (beat) We seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life.​

Artoo answers with beeping sounds.

C-3PO

I've got to rest before I fall apart. My internals still haven't recovered from that headlong crash you called a landing.​

Suddenly Artoo whistles, makes a sharp right turn, and starts off in the direction of the rocky mesas.

C-3PO

Where do you think you're going?​

A stream of electronic noises pours forth from the small robot.

C-3PO

Well, I'm not going that way. It's much too rocky. This way is much easier.​

Artoo counters with a long whistle.

C-3PO

What makes you think there are settlements over there?​

Artoo continues to make beeping sounds.

C-3PO

Don't get technical with me.​

Artoo continues to make beeping sounds.

C-3PO

What mission? What are you talking about? (beat) I've had just about enough of you! Go your way! You'll be sandlogged within a day, you nearsighted scrap pile!​

Threepio gives the little robot a kick and starts off in the direction of the vast dune sea.

C-3PO

And don't let me catch you following me, begging for help, because you won't get it.​

Artoo's reply is a rather rude sound. He turns and trudges off in the direction of the towering mesas.

EXT. DUNE SEA — DAY

Threepio, hot and tired, struggles up over the ridge of a dune, past the bleached bones of a dinosaur-like beast, only to find more dunes which seem to go on for endless kilometres. He looks back in the direction of the now-distant mesas.

C-3PO

That malfunctioning little twerp. This is all his fault! He tricked me into going this way, but he'll do no better.​

In a huff of anger and frustration, Threepio knocks the sand from his joints. His plight seems hopeless. Then a glint of reflected light in the distance reveals an object moving towards him.

C-3PO

Wait, what's that? (elated) A transport! I'm saved!​

The bronze robot waves frantically, calling out to the approaching transport.

C-3PO

Over here! Help! Please, help!

EXT. CANYON — SUNSET

The gargantuan rock formations are shrouded in deep shadow and the ominous sounds of unearthly creatures fill the air. Artoo moves cautiously through the eerie canyon, inadvertently making a loud clicking noise as he goes. He hears a distant, hard, metallic sound and stops for a moment. Convinced he's alone, he continues on his way.

In the distance, pebbles tumble down the steep canyon wall and a small dark figure darts into the shadows. A little further up the canyon a slight flicker of light reveals a pair of eyes in the dark recesses only a few metres from the narrow path.

The unsuspecting robot rolls along the rugged trail until suddenly, out of nowhere, a powerful electromagnetic ray shoots from the rocks and engulfs him in a radiant light show. He manages an electronic scream before he topples over onto his back. His bright computer lights flicker off, then on, then off again.

Out of the rocks scurry eight humanoid JAWAS. No taller than Artoo, they wear grubby cloaks and their faces are shrouded so that only their luminescent yellow eyes can be seen. Holstering their ion blasters, they hiss and make odd guttural sounds as they heave the heavy robot onto their shoulders and carry him off down the trail.

The eight Jawas carry Artoo out to a huge tank-like vehicle the size of a four-story house. After welding a small disc to the side of Artoo, they place him under a large tube on the side of the vehicle; the little robot is sucked into the giant machine.

INT. SANDCRAWLER/HOLD

Artoo enters a wide room with a metre-high ceiling. In the middle of the scrap heap sit a dozen or so robots of various shapes and sizes. Some are engaged in electronic conversation, while others simply mill about. A voice of recognition calls out from the gloom.

C-3PO

Artoo-Detoo!​

A battered Threepio scrambles up to Artoo and embraces him. He also has a small disc attached to his chest.

C-3PO

(cont'd) It is you! It is you!​

EXT. CANYON — SUNSET

The enormous sandcrawler lumbers off.

Last edited:

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
EXT. JUNDLAND — DAY

It's the next day. Four Imperial stormtroopers mill about in front of the lifepod that brought Artoo and Threepio to Tatooine. A trooper calls to another some distance away.

STORMTROOPER #4

Someone was in the pod. The tracks go off in this direction.​

Another trooper picks a small bit of metal out of the sand and presents it to the first.

STORMTROOPER #5

Look, sir - 'droids.​

EXT. DUNES — DAY

The sandcrawler slowly descends a great dune.

INT. SANDCRAWLER/HOLD — DAY

Threepio and Artoo bounce about inside the cramped chamber. Artoo appears to be in sleep mode.

The shaking and bouncing of the sandcrawler suddenly stops, creating quite a commotion among the mechanical men.

C-3PO

Wake up! (banging Artoo) Wake up!

Artoo's lights brighten as his systems power up.

C-3PO

We've stopped someplace. (beat) No doubt about it, we're doomed. Do you think they'll melt us down?​

Artoo responds, making beeping sounds.

C-3PO

It's this waiting that gets to me.​

A hatch at the far end of the long chamber opens, flooding the chamber with blinding white light. A dozen or so Jawas clamber in, making their way through the odd assortment of machines. Two Jawas move towards them; one points its ion blaster at Threepio threateningly.

C-3PO

(raising arms) Don't shoot! Don't shoot! (to Artoo) Will this never end?​

EXT. LARS HOMESTEAD — DAY

The Jawas mutter gibberish as they line their battered captives, including Artoo and Threepio, up in front of the enormous sandcrawler. The sandcrawler's been parked beside a small homestead consisting of three large holes bored in the ground, surrounded by several tall moisture vaporators and one small adobe blockhouse.

The Jawas scurry around fussing over the robots, straightening them up/brushing dust from dented metallic joints.

C-3PO

Maybe this won't be so bad after all. If we can convince these bipedal vermin to unload us here, we may enter into sensible Human service again instead of being melted into slag.​

From out of of a side-building emerges OWEN LARS, a large burly man in his mid-fifties. His reddish eyes are sunken in a dust-covered face. As the farmer carefully inspects each of the machines, he is closely followed by his nephew, LUKE LARS. A handsome 18-year-old farm boy, his shaggy blond hair and loose tunic give him the air of a simple but lovable lad. One of the Jawas walks ahead of Owen, spouting an animated sales pitch in its unintelligible language.

A voice calls out from one of the huge holes that form the homestead. Luke goes over to the edge and sees his AUNT BERU standing in the main courtyard.

BERU

Luke, tell Owen that if he gets a translator to be sure it speaks Bocce.

LUKE

It looks like we don't have much of a choice, but I'll remind him.​

Luke returns to his uncle as they look over the equipment for sale with the Jawa leader. They pass over several robots.

OWEN

(examining R5 unit) Yeah, we'll take that red one. (examining Artoo) No, not that one.​

Owen comes to stand before Threepio.

OWEN

You, I suppose you're programmed for etiquette and protocol.

C-3PO

Protocol? Why, it's my primary function, sir. I am well-versed in all the customs —

OWEN

(shaking head) I have no need for a protocol 'droid.

C-3PO

(quickly) Of course you haven't, sir — not in an environment such as this. That's why I've been programmed —

OWEN

(interrupting) What I really need is a 'droid that understands the binary languages of moisture vaporators.

C-3PO

Vaporators! Sir - my first job was programming binary load lifters; very similar in memory-function to your vaporators. You could say —

LUKE

Uncle Owen?

OWEN

Yeah?

LUKE

(cont'd) Aunt Beru told me to tell you that if you buy a translator 'droid, make sure it speaks Bocce.

OWEN

Oh, yeah. Thanks, Luke. (to Threepio) Do you speak Bocce?

C-3PO

Of course I can, sir. It's like a second language for me. I'm as fluent in —

OWEN

(interrupting) Alright, shut up.

C-3PO

Shutting up, sir.

OWEN

(to head Jawa) I'll take this one. (beat) Luke, take these two over to the garage, will you? I want you to have both of them cleaned up by suppertime.

LUKE

But I was going into Toshi Station for those converters we ordered.

OWEN

(stern) Don't lie to me, Luke. I don't mind you wasting time with your idle friends, but only after you've finished your chores. Now hop to it — and before supper, mind.

LUKE

(downcast) Alright, c'mon. And the red one, c'mon.​

The R5 stands in place.

LUKE

(impatient) Well, c'mon, Red, let's go!​

As the Jawas start to lead the remaining automatons back into the sandcrawler, Artoo lets out a pathetic little beep. As he starts after his old friend, he is restrained by a Jawa who freezes him with a control rod.

As Owen negotiates with the head Jawa, Luke and the two robots start for the garage. That's when a plate pops off the head of the red robot, ejecting smoke. Luke adjusts the robot's head plate; it sparks wildly.

LUKE

Uncle Owen!

OWEN

(facing Luke) Yeah?

LUKE

This R5 unit has a bad motivator. Look!

OWEN

(to head Jawa) Hey, what're you trying to push on us‽​

The Jawa goes into a loud spiel. Meanwhile, Artoo is moving up-and-down, trying to attract attention. He lets out with a low whistle. Threepio taps Luke on the shoulder.

C-3PO

(pointing to Artoo) If I may say so, young sir, that R2 unit is in prime condition. A real bargain.

LUKE

Uncle Owen…

OWEN

Yeah?

LUKE

What about that one?

OWEN

(to head Jawa) What about that blue one? We'll take that one.​

With a little reluctance, the scruffy dwarf trades the damaged astromech for Artoo. Jawas move in to haul the R5 away.

LUKE

Yeah, take it away.

C-3PO

I'm quite sure you'll be very pleased with that one, sir. He really is in first-class condition. I've worked with him before.​

Owen pays off the whining Jawa.

LUKE

Okay, let's go.​

The two robots trudge off towards a grimy homestead entry.

C-3PO

(to Artoo) Don't you ever forget this. Why I stick my neck out for you, when all you ever bring me is trouble, is beyond my capacity to comprehend.​

INT. LARS HOMESTEAD/GARAGE — DAY

The garage is cluttered and worn, but a friendly peaceful atmosphere permeates the low gray chamber. Threepio lowers himself into a large tub filled with warm oil. Near Luke's battered landspeeder little Artoo rests on a large battery, a power cord fed into his mechanical torso.

C-3PO

Thank the maker! This oil bath is going to feel so good. I've got such a bad case of dust contamination, I can barely move!​

Luke seems to be lost in thought as he runs his hand over the damaged fin of his skyhopper, a small two-man airship resting in a low hangar off the garage. Finally Luke's frustrations get the better of him and he slams a wrench across the workbench.

LUKE

(frustrated) It just isn't fair! Oh, Biggs is right. I'm never gonna get out of here!

C-3PO

I beg your pardon, sir. Is there anything I might do to help?​

Luke glances at the battered robot. A bit of his anger drains and a tiny smile creeps across his face.

LUKE

I doubt it. Not unless you can alter time, speed up the harvest, or teleport me off this rock!

C-3PO

I don't think so, sir. I'm only a 'droid and not very knowledgeable about such things. Not on this planet, anyways. As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure which planet I'm on.

LUKE

Well, if there's a bright centre to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from.

C-3PO

I see, sir.

LUKE

Uh, you can call me Luke.

C-3PO

I see, Sir Luke.

LUKE

(chuckling) Just Luke.

C-3PO

And I am See-Threepio, human-cyborg relations. And this is my counterpart, Artoo-Detoo.

LUKE

Hello.​

Artoo beeps in response. Unplugging Artoo, Luke begins scraping corrosion from the robot's head with a chromed pick. Threepio climbs out of the tub and begins wiping oil from his bronze body.

LUKE

You got a lot of carbon-scoring here. It looks like you boys have seen a lot of action.

C-3PO

With all we've been through, sometimes I'm amazed we're in as good condition as we are, what with the Rebellion and all.

LUKE

(excited) You know of the Rebellion against the Empire‽

C-3PO

That's how we came to be in your service, if you take my meaning, sir.

LUKE

Tell me where you've been — in how many encounters. How is the Rebellion going‽ Does the Empire take it seriously‽ Have you seen many ships destroyed‽

C-3PO

A bit slower, please, sir. (beat) You misinterpret our status. We were innocent bystanders. Our involvement with the Rebellion was of the most marginal nature.

LUKE

(disappointed) Oh.

C-3PO

As to battles, we were in several, I think. Actually, there's not much to tell. I'm not much more than an interpreter, and not very good at telling stories. Well, not at making them interesting, anyways.​

Luke struggles to remove a small metal fragment from Artoo's neck joint. He switches to a larger pick.

LUKE

Well, my little friend, you've got something jammed in here real good. Were you on a starcruiser or —​

The fragment comes loose with a snap, sending Luke tumbling backward. He sits up and sees a thirty-centimetre, three-dimensional hologram of Leia Organa, the Rebel senator, being projected from the face of little Artoo. The image is a low-resolution cascade of muted colours, flickering and jiggling in the dim garage. Luke's mouth hangs open in awe.

LEIA

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

LUKE

What's this?​

Artoo looks around and sheepishly beeps an answer for Threepio to translate.

Leia continues to repeat the sentence fragment over and over.

C-3PO

What is what‽ He asked you a question. (pointing at Leia) What is that?

Artoo whistles his surprise as he pretends to just notice the hologram. He looks around and sheepishly beeps an answer for Threepio to translate. Leia continues to repeat the sentence fragment over and over.

C-3PO

Oh, he says it's nothing, sir. Merely a malfunction. Old data. Pay it no mind.​

Luke is intrigued by the beautiful girl.

LUKE

Who is she? She's beautiful.

C-3PO

I'm afraid I'm not quite sure, sir. I think she was a passenger on our last voyage. A person of some importance, I believe. Our captain was attaché to —

LUKE

Is there more to this recording?​

Luke reaches out for Artoo but he lets out several frantic squeaks and a whistle.

C-3PO

Behave yourself, Artoo. You're going to get us in trouble. It's alright, you can trust him. He's our new master.​

Artoo whistles and beeps a long message to Threepio.

C-3PO

He says he's the property of Obi-Wan Kenobi, a resident of these parts. And it's a private message for him. Quite frankly, sir, I don't know what he's talking about; our last master was Captain Colton. But with all we've been through, this little R2 unit has become a bit eccentric.

LUKE

Obi-Wan Kenobi? I wonder if he means old Ben Kenobi?

C-3PO

Begging your pardon, but you actually know such a person?

LUKE

Well, I don't know anyone named Obi-Wan, but old Ben lives out beyond the Dune Sea. He's kind of a strange old hermit.​

Luke's gazes at the beautiful young princess for a few moments.

LUKE

I wonder who she is. It sounds like she's in trouble. I'd better play back the whole thing.​

Artoo beeps something to Threepio.

C-3PO

He says the restraining bolt has short-circuited his recording system. He suggests that if you remove the bolt, he might be able to play back the entire recording.​

Luke looks longingly at the lovely princess and hasn't really heard what Threepio's been saying.

LUKE

Hmmm? Oh, yeah, well, I guess you're too small to run away on me if I take this off! Okay.​

Luke takes a wedged bar and pops the restraining bolt off Artoo's side.

LUKE

There you go.​

The princess immediately disappears.

LUKE

Wait a minute! Where'd she go‽ Bring her back! Play back the entire message!​

Artoo beeps an innocent reply.

C-3PO

What message‽ (banging Artoo) The one you've just been playing. The one you're carrying inside your rusty innards!

BERU

(O.S.) Luke? Oh, Luke! Come to dinner!

LUKE

Alright, I'll be right there, Aunt Beru.

C-3PO

I'm sorry, sir, but he appears to have picked up a slight flutter.

LUKE

(shaking head) Well, see what you can do with him. I'll be right back.​

Luke tosses Artoo's restraining bolt on the workbench and hurries out of the room.

C-3PO

Just you reconsider playing that message for him.​

Artoo beeps in response.

C-3PO

No, I don't think he likes you at all.​

Artoo beeps.

C-3PO

No, I don't like you, either.​

INT. LARS HOMESTEAD/KITCHEN — DAY

Luke's Aunt Beru, a warm, motherly woman, fills a pitcher with blue fluid from a refrigerated container. She puts the pitcher on a tray with some bowls of food and starts for the dining room.

INT. LARS HOMESTEAD/DINING ROOM — DAY

Luke sits with his Uncle Owen before a table covered with steaming bowls of food as Aunt Beru carries in a bowl of red grain.

LUKE

Y'know, I think that R2 unit we bought might've been stolen.

OWEN

What makes you think that?

LUKE

Well, I stumbled across a recording while I was cleaning him. He says he belongs to someone called Obi-Wan Kenobi.​

Beru and Owen exchange glances.

LUKE

I thought he might've meant Ben. Do you know what he's talking about?

OWEN

It's nothing. A name from another time.

LUKE

Is it someone related to old Ben, then? I didn't know he had any relatives.

OWEN

(irate) You stay away from that old wizard, you hear me? I've told you about Kenobi before. He's a crazy old man; he's dangerous and full of mischief, and he's best left well alone. (beat) Tomorrow I want you to take that R2 unit into Anchorhead and have its memory flushed. That'll be the end of it. It belongs to us now.

LUKE

But what if this Obi-Wan comes looking for him?

OWEN

(solemn) He won't. I don't think that man exists anymore. He died about the same time as your father.

LUKE

Did he know my father?

OWEN

I told you to forget it. (beat) Your only concern is to prepare the new 'droids for tomorrow. In the morning I want them on the south ridge working on those condensers.

LUKE

Yes, sir. (beat) I think those new 'droids are going to work out fine. In fact, I, uh, was also thinking about our agreement about me staying on another season. And if these new 'droids do work out, I want to transmit my application to enter the Academy for next year.​

Owen's face becomes a scowl, although he tries to suppress it.

OWEN

You mean, you want to transmit the application next year — after the harvest.

LUKE

You have more than enough 'droids now, and they're in good condition. They'll last.

OWEN

'Droids, yes, but 'droids can't replace a man, Luke. You know that. The harvest is when I need you the most. It's just for one more season after this one.​

Luke toys with his food, not eating, saying nothing.

OWEN

Listen, for the first time we've got a chance for a real fortune. We'll make enough to hire some extra hands for next time. Not 'droids — people. Then you can go to the Academy. (beat) I need you here, Luke. You understand that, don't you?

LUKE

(sullen) It's another year. Another year.

OWEN

Time'll pass before you know it.​

Luke pushes his half-eaten plate of food aside and stands.

LUKE

Yeah, that's what you said last year when Biggs and Tank left.

BERU

Where are you going?

LUKE

It looks like I'm going nowhere. (beat) I have to finish cleaning those 'droids.​

Resigned to his fate, Luke paddles out of the room. Owen mechanically finishes his dinner.

BERU

Owen, you can't keep him here forever. Most of his friends have gone. The Academy means so much to him.

OWEN

I'll make it up to him next year. I promise.

BERU

Luke's just not a farmer, Owen. He never will be, no matter how hard you try to make him one. (wistful) He has too much of his father in him.

OWEN

(solemn) That's what I'm afraid of.​

EXT. LARS HOMESTEAD — SUNSET

The giant twin suns of Tatooine slowly disappear behind a distant dune range. Luke stands watching them for a few moments, then reluctantly enters the domed entrance to the homestead.

Last edited:

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
INT. LARS HOMESTEAD/GARAGE — SUNSET

Luke enters the garage to discover the robots nowhere in sight. He takes a small control rod from his utility belt and activates it; Threepio pops up from behind the skyhopper with a short yelp.

LUKE

What're you hiding back there for?​

Threepio stumbles forward, but Artoo's still nowhere in sight.

C-3PO

It wasn't my fault, sir. Please don't deactivate me! I told him not to go, but he's faulty, malfunctioning; kept babbling on about his mission.

LUKE

Oh, no!​

Luke races out of the garage.

EXT. LARS HOMESTEAD — TWILIGHT

Luke rushes out of the domed entrance. Threepio joins Luke as he scans the landscape with his electrobinoculars, searching the darkening horizon for the small astromech.

C-3PO

That R2 unit has always been a problem. These astromechs are becoming too iconoclastic even for me to understand sometimes.

LUKE

How could I be so stupid? He's nowhere in sight. Blast it!

C-3PO

Pardon me, sir, but couldn't we go after him?

LUKE

It's too dangerous with all the Tusken raiders around. We'll have to wait until morning.

OWEN

(O.S.) Luke, I'm shutting the power down!

LUKE

Alright, I'll be there in a few minutes! (beat) Boy, am I gonna get it.​

He takes one final look across the dim horizon.

LUKE

Y'know, that little 'droid is going to cause me a lot of trouble.

C-3PO

Oh, he excels at that, sir.​

INT. LARS HOMESTEAD/COURTYARD — DAY

Morning slowly creeps into the sparse but sparkling oasis of the open courtyard. The idyll is broken by Owen, his voice echoing throughout the homestead.

OWEN

Luke? Luke‽ Luke!

INT. LARS HOMESTEAD/KITCHEN — DAY

Beru's at work preparing the morning breakfast. Owen enters.

OWEN

Have you seen Luke this morning?

BERU

He said he had some things to do before he started today, so he left early.

OWEN

(frowning) Before breakfast? That's not like him. Did he take those two new 'droids with him?

BERU

I think so. I'm sure I saw at least one of them with him.

OWEN

Well, he'd better have those units in the south range repaired by midday or there'll be hell to pay.​

EXT. JUNDLAND — DAY

The rock and sand of the desert floor are a blur as Threepio pilots Luke's sleek landspeeder across the vast wasteland.

INT./EXT. LUKE'S SPEEDER - DAY

LUKE

Old Ben Kenobi lives out in this direction somewhere, but I don't see how that R2 unit could have come this far. We must've missed him. Uncle Owen isn't going to take this very well.

C-3PO

Sir, would it help if you told him it was my fault?

LUKE

(brightening) Sure. He needs you twice as much now. He'd probably only deactivate you for a day or so, or give you a partial memory flush….

C-3PO

On second thought, sir, Artoo would still be around if you hadn't removed his restraining bolt.

LUKE

Wait, there's a 'droid on the scanner, dead ahead. I see our little R2 unit. Hit the accelerator.​

EXT. MESA — DUNE SEA — COASTLINE — DAY

From high atop a mesa, the tiny landspeeder can be seen gliding across the desert floor. In the foreground two weather-beaten TUSKEN RAIDERS swathed in mummy-like wrappings and shrouded in dusty desert cloaks peer over the edge of the rock. One of the marginally Human creatures raises a slugthrower rifle and takes aim at the speeder, but his companion grabs the barrel before he can fire. They get into an animated argument in their coarse barbaric language. The second Tusken seems to get in the final word; the pair leaves the spot, scurrying over the rocky terrain.

EXT. MESA — CANYON — DAY

The Tusken raiders approach two large banthas standing lashed to a rock. The monstrous quaprupeds are as large as elephants, with huge red eyes, tremendous looped horns, and long, furry, dinosaur-like tails. The Tuskens mount the huge creatures' saddled, shaggy backs and ride off down the rugged bluff.

EXT. CANYON — DAY

The speeder is parked on the floor of a massive canyon. Luke, with a rifle slung over his shoulder, stands before little Artoo.

LUKE

Hey, whoa, just where do you think you're going‽​

The little robot whistles a feeble reply. Threepio poses menacingly behind the little runaway.

C-3PO

(irate) Master Luke here is your rightful owner. We'll have no more of this Obi-Wan Kenobi jibberish. And don't talk to me of your mission, either. You're fortunate he doesn't blast you into a million pieces right here.

LUKE

Well, c'mon. It's getting late. I only hope we can get back before Uncle Owen really blows up.

C-3PO

If you don't mind my saying so, sir, I think you should deactivate the little fugitive until you've gotten him back to your workshop.

LUKE

No, he's not going to try anything.​

The little robot suddenly jumps to life with a mass of frantic whistles.

LUKE

What's wrong with him now?

C-3PO

(worried) There are several creatures approaching from the southeast.​

Luke swings his rifle into position and looks to the south.

LUKE

Tuskens! Or worse! C'mon, let's have a look. C'mon.​

EXT. CANYON — RIDGE — DAY

Luke carefully makes his way to the top of a rock ridge and scans the canyon with his macrobinoculars. Threepio struggles up behind the young adventurer.

LUKE'S P.O.V. — BANTHAS

LUKE

Well, there are two banthas down there, but I don't see any … wait a second, they're Tuskens all right. I can see one of them now.​

Luke watches the distant Tusken raider. Suddenly something huge moves in front of his field of view.

EXT. CANYON — RIDGE — DAY

Before Luke or Threepio can react, a large, gruesome Tusken raider looms over them. Threepio, startled, backs away, right off the side of the ridge. The towering creature brings down his curved, double-pointed gaderffii — the dreaded axe of Tusken warriors. Luke blocks the blow with his rifle, which is shattered in the process. The terrified farm boy scrambles backwards until he's forced to the edge of a deep crevice. The sinister raider stands over him with his weapon raised and lets out a horrible shrieking laugh.

EXT. CANYON — DAY

Artoo forces himself into the shadows of a small alcove in the rocks as the vicious Tuskens walk past carrying the inert Luke Skywalker, who's dropped in a heap before the speeder. The raiders rummmage through the speeder, throwing parts and supplies in all directions. Suddenly they stop. Everything's quiet for a few moments before a great howling moan reverberates through the canyon. The Tuskens flee in terror.

Artoo moves even tighter into the shadows as an aged man in shabby desert prospector's clothing appears and leans over Luke. His ancient leathery face, cracked and weathered by the hot, arid climate, is set off by penetrating blue eyes and a scraggly white beard. BEN KENOBI squints, scrutinizing the unconscious farm boy, then rests his hand on Luke's forehead. Artoo makes a slight sound. Ben straightens and turns, looking right at him.

BEN

Hello there! Come here, my little friend. No need to be afraid.​

Artoo waddles over to where Luke lies, whistling and beeping his concern.

BEN

Don't worry, he'll be alright.​

Luke begins to come around.

LUKE

What happened?

BEN

Rest easy, son, you've had a busy day. You're fortunate to be in one piece.

LUKE

Ben? Ben Kenobi! Boy, am I glad to see you!

BEN

The Jundland wastes are not to be travelled lightly. It's the misguided traveller who tempts the Tuskens' hospitality. (beat) Tell me, young Luke, what brings you out this far?

LUKE

Oh, this little 'droid. I think he's searching for his former master. I've never seen such devotion in a 'droid before. (beat) He claims to be the property of an Obi-Wan Kenobi. Is he a relative of yours? Do you know who he's talking about?​

Ben ponders this for a moment, scratching his scruffy beard.

BEN

Obi-Wan Kenobi … Obi-Wan? Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time … a long time.

LUKE

I think my uncle knew him. He said he was dead.

BEN

Oh, he's not dead. Not yet.

LUKE

You know him?

BEN

(smiling) Well of course I know him. He's me! (beat) I haven't gone by the name Obi-Wan since, oh, before you were born.

LUKE

Then the 'droid does belong to you.

BEN

I don't seem to remember ever owning a 'droid. Very interesting….​

He suddenly looks up at the overhanging cliffs.

BEN

I think we better get indoors. The Tuskens are easily startled, but they'll soon be back and in greater numbers.​

Artoo lets out a pathetic beep, causing Luke to remember something. He looks around.

LUKE

Threepio!​

EXT. SAND PIT — DAY

Little Artoo stands at the edge of a large sand pit, chattering away in electronic whistles and beeps. Luke and Ben stand over a very dented and tangled Threepio lying in the sand. One of his arms has broken off.

Luke tries reviving the inert robot by shaking him, then flips a switch on his back several times. Finally the mechanical man's systems reboot.

C-3PO

Where am I? I must've taken a bad step….

LUKE

Can you stand? We've got to get out of here before the Tuskens return.

C-3PO

I don't think I can make it. You go on, Master Luke. There's no sense in you risking yourself on my account. I'm done for.

LUKE

No, you're not. What kind of talk is that?

C-3PO

Logical.

LUKE

Defeatist.

BEN

Quickly. They're on the move.​

Luke and Ben help the battered robot to his feet.

INT. BEN'S CAVE/MAIN LIVING AREA — DAY

The small, spartan room is cluttered with desert junk, but still manages to radiate an air of time-worn comfort and security. Luke's in one corner repairing Threepio's arm as old Ben fiddles with Artoo.

BEN

Now, let's see if we can't figure out what you are, my little friend. And where you come from.

LUKE

I saw part of the message, and I —​

Luke's cut short as the recorded image of the beautiful young Rebel princess is projected from Artoo's face.

BEN

I seem to have found it.​

Luke stops his work as the lovely girl's image flickers before his eyes.

LEIA

General Obi-Wan Kenobi, I present myself in the name of the royal family of Alderaan and of the Alliance to Restore the Republic. I break your solitude at the bidding of my father, Bail Organa, Viceroy and First Chairman of the Alderaan system. (beat) Years ago, General, you served the Old Republic in the Clone Wars. Now my father begs you to aid us again in our struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person, but my ship has fallen under attack and I'm afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed. I have placed information vital to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this 'droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.​

There's a little static and the transmission is cut short. Old Ben leans back, silently puffing on a tarnished water pipe. Luke has stars in his eyes.

LUKE

You fought in the Clone Wars?

BEN

Yes.

LUKE

But … that was so long ago.

BEN

I guess it was a while back. I was once a Jedi Knight, the same as your father.

LUKE

Jedi Knight‽ My father didn't fight in the wars. He was a navigator on a spice freighter.

BEN

That's what your uncle told you. Owen Lars didn't hold with your father's ideals. Thought he should have stayed here and not gotten involved. (beat) Owen was always afraid that your father's adventurous life might influence you, might pull you away from Anchorhead. (shaking head) I'm afraid there wasn't much of the farmer in Anakin Skywalker.

LUKE

Skywalker?

BEN

The Lars' gave you their name when they adopted you, but you were your father's son.

LUKE

(solemn) I wish I'd known him.

BEN

He was the best pilot I ever knew, and a cunning warrior. I understand you've become quite a good pilot yourself. (wistful) And he was a good friend. (beat) Which reminds me….​

Ben gets up and goes to a chest, which he begins rummaging through. As Luke finishes repairing Threepio and starts to fit the restraining bolt back on, Threepio looks at him nervously. Luke thinks about the bolt for a moment, then puts it on the table. Ben shuffles up and presents Luke with a peculiar item.

BEN

I have something here for you. Anakin wanted you to have this when you were old enough. I tried to give it to you once before, but your uncle wouldn't allow it. He feared you might follow old Obi-Wan on some damned-fool idealistic crusade like your father did.

C-3PO

Sir, if you'll not be needing me, I'll close down for awhile.

LUKE

Sure, go ahead.​

In Ben's hand is a chrome cylinder, 606 mm in length, with a black handgrip.

LUKE

What is it?

BEN

Your father's lightsaber. This is the formal weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or as random as a blaster.​

With a sharp snap-hiss, a laser beam shoots out, freezing to form a flickering metre-long blade. Yellow light plays across the surroundings as Ben manipulates the saber.

BEN

(cont'd) More skill than simple sight was required for its use. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age. (beat) For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times, before the Empire.​

Extinguishing the blade, Ben hands the lightsaber to Luke. Luke examines the hilt; there're no buttons or switches or dials visible — no controls whatsoever.

LUKE

How did my father die?

BEN

A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights. He betrayed and murdered your father. Now the Jedi are all but extinct. (solemn) Vader was seduced by the dark side of the Force.

LUKE

The Force?

BEN

The Force is what gives the Jedi their power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the universe together. (beat) You must learn the ways of the Force if you're to come with me to Alderaan.

LUKE

Alderaan? (scoffing) I'm not going to Alderaan. I've got to get home. It's late. I'm in for it as it is.

BEN

I need your help, Luke. She needs your help. I'm getting too old for this sort of thing.

LUKE

I can't get involved! I've got work to do! It's not that I like the Empire. I hate it! But there's nothing I can do about it right now. It's all such a long way from here.

BEN

That's your uncle talking.

LUKE

(sighing) Oh, God, my uncle. How am I ever going to explain this?

BEN

Remember, Luke, the suffering of one man is the suffering of all. Distances are irrelevant to injustice. If not stopped soon enough, evil eventually reaches out to engulf all men, whether they've opposed it or ignored it.

LUKE

Look, I can take you as far as Anchorhead. You can get a transport there to Mos Eisley or wherever you're going.

BEN

Very well. That will do for a beginning. Then you must do what you feel is right.

Last edited:

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm gonna put this script on the back burner for awhile. Right now, what I've written is just the movie as-is with superficial alterations. I feel there's more I can do with a SW '77 rewrite than I have done, but I need time to ponder the possibilities.

In lieu of an OT rewrite, I believe I'm going to go back to my abandoned PT rewrite, dust off those scripts, and refurbish them. I went too far into postmodern grimdarkness while writing them, but underneath the mire I believe I had a solid story with solid characters; it shouldn't take too much effort to polish them into prequels more in keeping with the spirit of Star Wars.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
After a two-year hiatus, I'm back to work on this script. The state of the franchise and fandom had engendered a lot of negativity inside me, and I needed the time away from everything Star Wars to purge it from my system.

Everything I've posted has been revised. I was originally going in a semi-hard sci-fi direction, making the SW galaxy our galaxy in the far future, with 3D space battles and an absence of strong AI. I've since decided to forgo all that and go gung ho with the space fantasy. Luminiferous aether, anyone?

Last edited:
Top Bottom