• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Software to clean up VHS 'hissing'

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi guys,

I'm using audio from a ropey old VHS for two small lines of dialogue for my Star Trek: The Menagerie Extended Edition edit. These are from Roddenberry's black and white workprint which has only been released in its entirety on a Portugese video.

Is there any free and easy to use software that may at least filter out the worst of the typical VHS hissing? I have audacity, but that appears to be pretty basic.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jon

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not free, but I think there is a free trial for Goldwave that has a hiss removal feature.

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Warlord said:
Hi guys,

I'm using audio from a ropey old VHS for two small lines of dialogue for my Star Trek: The Menagerie Extended Edition edit. These are from Roddenberry's black and white workprint which has only been released in its entirety on a Portugese video.

Is there any free and easy to use software that may at least filter out the worst of the typical VHS hissing? I have audacity, but that appears to be pretty basic.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jon

musiced921 said:
Not free, but I think there is a free trial for Goldwave that has a hiss removal feature.

Thanks!

o_ciz

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I mainly use Izotope RX. It is not free, but you can get the basic version pretty cheap if you watch the sales. It can be used both as a standalone app and as a plugin in DAW or audio editor.

I would say the best free denoiser is Bertom Denoiser. It can sometimes achieve even better sounding results than Izotope RX. I usually use them both. Bertom Denoiser is not available as a standalone application and can only be used as a plugin.

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I mainly use Izotope RX. It is not free, but you can get the basic version pretty cheap if you watch the sales. It can be used both as a standalone app and as a plugin in DAW or audio editor.

I would say the best free denoiser is Bertom Denoiser. It can sometimes achieve even better sounding results than Izotope RX. I usually use them both. Bertom Denoiser is not available as a standalone application and can only be used as a plugin.
Thank you for taking the time to reply! šŸ˜ƒ

Top Bottom