• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

2020 Movies

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
and the first box office bomb of 2020 will be...

It was going by the more adventurous sounding 'The Voyage of Doctor Dolittle'.  They've gone with the proven "Quick make the title more bland, vague and less memorable" approach from 'John Carter of Mars' :D . It's "undergone 21 days of reshoots following poor test screenings", was moved forward from May to April to avoid Marvel and now moved back to January 2020 to avoid Star Wars, which all speaks to the confidence the studio has in it. Luckily they've only spent in excess of $175 million on the film ;) .

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My two favorite moments from The Rise of Skywalker ;)

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is it just me, or does the year ahead look strikingly light on major films? Bond is a maybe at best, Black Widow seems like an unnecessary prequel for a character who's never been that interesting, The Eternals is a complete question mark, and Wonder Woman 1984 is a weird-looking follow-up to a mediocre origin story. This leaves us with no major Avenger-related flicks, no Star Trek or Wars, Spielberg offering a West Side Story remake for some reason, Avatar 2 still a year away... Kenneth Branagh's Orient Express/Poirot sequel Death on the Nile sounds like one of the year's more exciting offerings, for Pete's sake! At least I've got the US streaming release of the Shaun the Sheep sequel to look forward to... :p

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Is it just me, or does the year ahead look strikingly light on major films? Bond is a maybe at best, Black Widow seems like an unnecessary prequel for a character who's never been that interesting, The Eternals is a complete question mark, and Wonder Woman 1984 is a weird-looking follow-up to a mediocre origin story. This leaves us with no major Avenger-related flicks, no Star Trek or Wars, Spielberg offering a West Side Story remake for some reason, Avatar 2 still a year away... Kenneth Branagh's Orient Express/Poirot sequel Death on the Nile sounds like one of the year's more exciting offerings, for Pete's sake! At least I've got the US streaming release of the Shaun the Sheep sequel to look forward to... :p

I’m not a huge Nolan fan as I feel his stories progress more like a Rube Goldberg machine than any organic story and character development but I admit to looking forward to Tenet, though I’ve yet to see a trailer or any plot information. I’m also looking forward to Villeneuve’s Dune, though cautiously. I did like his Blade Runner much more than I was expecting to. Beyond that, I feel like the majority of my favorite movies every year are the ones I only heard about right before release. I can’t remember the last tent pole that cracked my top five.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The movies I'm looking forward to seeing this year are
Feb 7    Birds of Prey
Apr 3    New Mutants (maybe?)
Apr 8    No Time to Die
May 1    Black Widow
May 15  A Quiet Place 2
Jun 5    Wonder Woman 1984
Jul 10   Ghostbusters: Afterlife
Jul 17   Tenet & Bob's Burgers
Jul 31    Morbius
Nov 6    Eternals

I'm not convinced any of these are actually going to be good, but they should all be fun.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If Snyder's Army of the Dead ends up coming out next year, then I'm super excited for that. Last I checked, it doesn't have a confirmed release date yet though.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
oqlCVss.gif

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The trailer for this new Daniel Radcliffe film looks mad and funny (NSFW):

I saw a trailer for Disney's live-action Mulan on the big screen. It looks like the first of these films that could actually be interesting. It's by the Director of the Oscar nominated film 'Whale Rider' and she has confirmed it will not be a musical. Disney have spent $300 million on it due to the massive sets apparently. Jet Li and Donnie Yen are in supporting roles, plus Keiko from Star Trek.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mark Cousins (Director/Documentarian/Writer/Critic/Film-Historian) is following up his epic 2011 15-hour cinema Doc 'The Story of Film: An Odyssey', with 'Women Make Film: A New Road Movie Through Cinema', a 14-hour doc about the more overlooked history of female filmmakers. Given the subject I can understand why he has chosen to have actors like Tilda Swinton, Jane Fonda and Thandie Newton speak his words but I think I'll miss his trademark hypnotic Belfast voice. This is gonna be good!

A few of extracts and a trailer are on youtube:

It's out on blu-ray in May: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Women-Make-Film-Through-Blu-ray/dp/B084DG1BN2/

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A surprising update regarding New Mutants:
[url=https://ew.com/movies/the-new-mutants-reshoots-josh-boone-maisie-williams]Entertainment Weekly[/url] said:
A lot has been said about The New Mutants, director Josh Boone’s X-Men spin-off, since it began filming in 2017. The movie, described as a “rubber reality” YA horror film, was once planned for a release in April 2018 back in the franchise’s heyday but was delayed multiple times when Disney purchased 21st Century Fox — and, therefore, the X-Men. Along the way, reports about the movie planning for reshoots became routine. Even veteran franchise producer Simon Kinberg, who’s now working on a sci-fi film for Netflix, mentioned them last year in an interview. But, for all this talk, Boone confirms they never happened.

“Everybody said we did reshoots! We’ve never done reshoots,” he tells EW over the phone in late February. “And I’ll tell you this: if there hadn’t been a merger, I’m sure we would’ve done reshoots the same way every movie does pickups. We didn’t even do that because by the time the merger was done and everything was settled, everybody’s older.”

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Arguably the biggest forgotten victim of the current global situation is this '2020 Movies' thread. 2019's thread got to 26-pages, 2018 to 29-pages and so on. 2020 is only on 2-pages and it's already all over ;) .

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've seen Sonic the Hedgehog and The Hunt, both were enjoyable 2020 movies, I guess

Yeah, 2020 movies is a hard topic now.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Apparently SCOOB! releases on Friday, I'm really excited for some reason!

I'm not the biggest fan of any particular Sccoby Doo show, but I do have a fondness for the characters, and enjoy watching the movies from time to time. Recently I revisited Scooby Doo on Zombie Island, which is still excellent. I've been meaning to revisit Scooby Doo and the Witch's Ghost, looking back I think it was a bit too complicated for me as a child. When I was younger I watched plenty of the movies and shows, particularly Scooby Doo Where Are You?, What's New Scooby Doo?, and A Pup Named Scooby Doo, though I also vaguely remember Shaggy and Scooby Doo get a Clue. I was especially obsessed with Sccoby Doo and the Legend of the Vampire around age 3.

Anyways, my life has always had Scooby Doo. I've only really thought much of this recently.

The new movie has nice animation, and the usage of other Hannah Barbara properties that I'm not as familiar with has me excited. Sure the movie messes with canon, no more Scoobert Doo, Scooby is named after the snacks, I'm pretty sure something contradicts A Pup Named Scooby Doo....but it is what it is. I remain optimistic.
I recall hearing about this movie years ago on an animation podcast, seeing it actually come to fruition is really exciting.

Is anyone else looking forward to SCOOB!?

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
Is anyone else looking forward to SCOOB!?

I’m certainly curious how it turns out. I might take a look sometime

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm unashamed to say I listened to this multiple times.

It reminds me of this AI produced Eurovision entry...

Top Bottom