• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Dune (2021) Denis Villeneuve's Film

skyled

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I found this today. I think it's just a one setting for the whole trailer recolor, but it doesn't look half bad.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Not perfect but far, far better. I didn't even realise Paul's uniform was green and not grey ;) .

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not very successful because the creator is unable to separate the dialogue from the music..but  it does give the trailer an alternative feel using the 1984 Toto score.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Love that score. Bought the original soundtrack CD when I was in college. I notice there has been an expanded/remastered/improved CD released since then but it's out of print and going for anything between 50-250 euros. It includes 14 previously unreleased tracks (plus some bonus stuff) but it doesn't appear to include the Brian Eno track though. The cover art is terrible:

417DM4P6N8L.jpg

DUNE_Traycard_1024x1024.jpg

There was a 1979 concept album called 'Visions of Dune' by Z, based on the books. It's not my cup of tea:

These guys have rescored the trailer in a Hans Zimmer style. It's not bad:

By the way, if I haven't said it already, the logo for the new Dune film is incredible.

DuneSG_Logo_Vector_B_W.png

Creating it from 4 identical shapes, plus Arrakis is a stroke of genius.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last Impressions said:
Not very successful because the creator is unable to separate the dialogue from the music..but  it does give the trailer an alternative feel using the 1984 Toto score.

[video]

If someone else wants to try this...

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Last Impressions said:

[video]

If someone else wants to try this...

Challenge accepted!

I've used that to rescore the trailer with the epic main titles theme from the 1984 film:

I mixed it pretty quickly so don't expect perfection but I think it's fun.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Much better! I'm expecting the movie itself will have an orchestral score like this and not pop covers.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's how it's done! Really worked well, the last third working so well was really impressive.

Noticed you touched up the trailer dialogue levels too, like toning down the weirdly timed Jason Momoa line that breaks the flow of the iconic Dune mantra. Good call.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fantastic TM2YC - the 84 music worked so well. I'm intrigued to find out what Zimmer comes up with and listen to his contribution to the overall tone and feel of the final movie.

You are right the Dune title is a stroke of genius, the most simple concepts usually are. Is there an Oscar for title sequence ? :)

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now we just need skyled’s recolored version with TM2YC’s rescore and we’ll have an impressive trailer. :p

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As mentioned here, it's been delayed to 2021. Thread title updated accordingly.

This could be a blessing in disguise. Since WB still haven't confirmed part 2, an extra year to wait for part 1 to release could mean they are forced to start production on p2, before p1 bombs at the boxoffice (as I suspect it will) but by then it will be too late for them to back out and we get the whole book on film :D .

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
As mentioned here, it's been delayed to 2021. Thread title updated accordingly.

This could be a blessing in disguise. Since WB still haven't confirmed part 2, an extra year to wait for part 1 to release could mean they are forced to start production on p2, before p1 bombs at the boxoffice (as I suspect it will) but by then it will be too late for them to back out and we get the whole book on film :D .

Well, if wishful thinking can make it so: I hope they make parts 1 and 2, then release them on blu-ray with a clean center channel AND a music only channel. That way we can split voice, SFX, and music for the greatest flexibility in fanediting. Oh, and of course they should add every unused shot in the deleted scenes (in 1080p).
That's not wishing for too much, is it? ;)

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Really @"TM2YC" you think it'll bomb?  Why's that? I was suspecting based off the early trailer buzz and the cast alone, it'll at least be profitable, if not a hit... (Not to say it'll actually be a great movie...)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
Really @"TM2YC" you think it'll bomb?  Why's that? I was suspecting based off the early trailer buzz and the cast alone, it'll at least be profitable, if not a hit... (Not to say it'll actually be a great movie...)

I'm just applying the same logic from Villeneuve's last film, because it was also a remake/sequel of a 1980s cult film that already bombed once, and again based on a 1960s cult sci-fi novel which few people have actually read. If he approaches it the same way as BR2049 by deliberately making it very long, very slow and completely unable to appeal to a mass audience but at the same time spending the amount that Marvel spends on their crowd pleasing blockbusters, thus requiring it to have mass appeal, it seems doomed to failure as well. BR2049 is estimated to have lost at least $80million. Dune will probably cost even more due to it's intergalactic canvas (according to Wikipedia, as much as $50million more) and has less cultural presence than Blade Runner (I might be wrong about that?), plus these are hard times for theatrical movies. I'd be frankly amazed if it made a profit... I hope I'm wrong because I want that sequel! :) 

That he's splitting what is actually quite a fast-paced exciting novel into two films, which might be as much as 5-hours-total suggests Villeneuve has no intention of making a fast-paced film that mass audiences and Dune fans will both love but I could be entirely wrong, maybe he's learned his lesson from BR2049 and maybe WB will push him a bit harder for something profitable. Plus the difference between BR2049 and Dune is this time he's working from a novel, which he can whittle down, rather than a screenplay which he could expand upon.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
While I do think BR2049 was too slow, I think he was going for a kind of Stalker-ish meditative effect (which I appreciate btw, but agree that it’s not for mass audiences). With Dune, it’s more about world building so I’m hopeful it’s long in a Fellowship of the Ring-ish sort of way. But I, too, am not confident it will be profitable, even without COVID. It’s too bad they didn’t adopt the LotR shooting strategy.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Hmm...interesting points. There are a lot of potential similarities. The trailers are quite different though, so they are at least marketing BR2049 and Dune in very different ways. BR was also a much smaller, more intimate and meditative story than Dune seems to be. Just from the trailer, it appears to offer a huge cast and many locations in the first film alone. I think it'll be hard to turn that into a very slow, quiet movie where "nothing happens", which seemed to be the big complaint against BR.
I guess time will tell.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just finished listening the Dune audiobook; it is without doubt a classic. I certainly didn't fully appreciate it when I read it as a child. Frank Herbert's restraint in writing is superb. Less is definitely more with Dune. I adore how events other authors would describe ad nauseam, such as the space travel to Arrakis or the assault on Giedi Prime, are skipped entirely by Herbert only for him to discuss their aftermath at length later. The book itself builds both the narrative and its elaborate mythos to a feverish crescendo. There subtleties layered upon subtleties, it's pure Shakespeare. It, like the spice melange, has left me craving more.

If, like me, you need a Dune fix I recommend this YouTube commentator who has put out loads of great content from deep explorations of the Dune Universe timeline to honest reviews of the NuDune novels and thoughts on the forthcoming film. According to them the Children of Dune miniseries is really rather good. I plan on watching it after I'm done with Dune Messiah. I'm very much looking forward to revisiting David Lynch's Dune which was a childhood favourite of mine and, in terms of visual world building, is a seriously high watermark for cinema. I'm just torn whether to watch the original tonight or wait a few days for @"15MaF"'s new edit...

Regarding the new film I read an article today that suggests the delayed release may well be a blessing on disguise. I was not aware of this but apparently Denis Villeneuve was feeling rushed to edit the film for its release and was hoping to do reshoots etc but the pandemic prohibited him doing so. So having an extra year may well allow the film to be closer to his intended vision.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
FYI, only episode 1 of the "Children of Dune" miniseries is a "Messiah" adaptation. Episodes 2 and 3 are the third book ("Children").

flipflops

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I liked Bladerunner 2049 but felt it was a bit under-edited. I expect I'll appreciate a fanedit of the new Dune more than the actual thing. Villeneuve certainly knows how to give movies depth and bring out amazing actor performances so there will no doubt be a tonne of usable material he should have left on the cutting room floor.

Top Bottom