• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Dune (2021) Denis Villeneuve's Film

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’ve been underwhelmed by everything I’ve seen so far but I’m still really excited for the actual movie. I thought 2049 looked amazing, personally. Though the look of Dune will always be Lynch’s for me since I saw that movie before reading any of the books. For me the Jadorowsky doc was super interesting, but I think the actual movie would’ve been a spectacular train wreck, albeit one that would’ve been hard to look away from. I haven’t seen a Denis Villeneuve movie I thought was bad yet.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm thinking Dune's going to need re-colouring to better match Lynch's version.  :) Please bear in mind i have only mucked around with this for a couple of minutes

dcDawvg.jpg

heavily saturated (below)

NF0VhKJ.png

Vegas colour matched (below)

LB0JRbe.png

I think a combination of the above two frames will do the trick 

Original (below)
DBwoe1r.png

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw that and he took it further:

I had a quick go:

50341441748_d19999573c_o.jpg

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I saw that and he took it further:

2000 version faithful to the books but looks like 1980's Flash Gordon   :)
I had a quick go:

50341441748_d19999573c_o.jpg

I take it you like the original colour palette - i personally feel it looks a little washed out but i'll reserve judgement for the final product.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think it looks great. I wish the daytime desert scenes were a little more bright and blown out, though.

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I never saw the original film, so hopefully this one reviews well so I can finally see what all the hype has been about over the years.

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Loved the books but avoided the Lynch movie due to hearing how inaccurate it was. Very much looking forward to this one.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Siliconmaster said:
Loved the books but avoided the Lynch movie due to hearing how inaccurate it was. Very much looking forward to this one.

Honestly from what I’ve seen so far, it looks more like a movie remake than a separate adaptation of the book.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't see how one could get that impression. Everything in the trailer is a scene in the book, it just so happens that Lynch also adapted most of those scenes directly as well.

Lynch's movie is more faithful to the book than most assume in the first half, which is the half this new movie is also adapting. The only major differences I can recall in this portion of the story in Lynch's film are the addition of the opening scene with the Emperor and the Guild Navigator (Navigators don't appear in the first book); the addition of the "weirding modules," which don't exist in the book (or this movie, it appears); and the extra-cartoonish villainy of the Harkonnens (the Baron flying around and generally acting like a lunatic instead of a cold strategist, the heart plugs, the skin boils), which also appears to not be a thing in this adaptation.

I also don't expect Villeneuve to keep the characters' internal monologues as voiceover the way Lynch did.

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, every single scene seems straight from the book. And seeing the comparisons with Lynch's movie I'm just happy I get to see a version that feels closer to the book than the scenes from Lynch's.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fair enough. I read the book 33 years ago while backpacking in the Utah desert. I liked the book but didn’t obsess over it. The scenes that they’ve shown so far in images and trailers look remarkably like the Lynch movie to me. But perhaps both are just very faithful to descriptions of looks and scenes from the book.

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, it's like seeing a story with a different translation. The main points might be there, but what I'm seeing in that trailer is almost scarily accurate. That shot of the worm eating the mining rig from underneath, for instance, feels right out of my mind's eye, while the Lynch version seems rather stilted. It will be nice to have such a high-budget production led by people at the top of their cinematic class. No offense to Lynch (I quite admire the fellow), but I don't think even he was happy with the result of his project. I'm also fairly certain there are some homages to Lynch's ideas for sure, just reinterpreted.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love the look of Lynch’s Dune. This one looks drab in comparison to me. It’s like Chronicles of Riddick; not a good movie but the look just pulls me in.

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
This one looks drab in comparison to me. 

That's fair, Lynch's certainly seems to have a more vivid color palette for sure. I'll be very interested to see how this one turns out. It's funny though, when reading the book I always imagined that the only vivid color was in the rare plants, or people's eyes. Sure, I imagined golden dunes as well, but the barren wasteland-type look Villeneuve is going for in this version matches closely enough for it not to feel jarring. Plus there was a lot of color in Blade Runner 2049, and I expect that if there's a way to use that effectively here he will. Hopefully the whole thing won't be nearly colorless.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It’s not just the color. The design of the still suits and other costumes and sets, let alone characters just isn’t nearly as interesting looking. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m still very excited for this movie. And I’ll take a relatively drab look with great story execution any day... like Arrival. But we don’t have anything to really comment on yet but the look.

skyled

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I recommend Spicediver's Dune fanedit. The theatrical cut has serious pacing issues which Spicediver fixed, making his 3 hour cut feel shorter than the theatrical's 136 minutes. Lynch's visuals are really impressive. There's so much detail in every shot, where this new one seems pretty bland in comparison.

I hope there's more color in the full movie. The shots in the trailer all seem very muted, like they were all shot on an extremely overcast day. Compare it to the vibrancy of Lawrence of Arabia, or just look at pictures of the deserts where Denis shot.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didn't love the version of Eclipse by Pink Floyd in the Trailer and hope it gets no where near the final project...but its a good homage to Jodorowsky who enticed the hamburger munching  ensemble to furnish his unmade version of Dune with the music

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Dune (1984)
You could watch David Lynch's 'Dune' 50 times (and I certainly have) and still be spotting new details in the sets, the costumes and the props. I love the clearly defined look of the worlds. The Atreides' seem to live inside ornate wooden carved Egyptian tombs, the Harkonnen's planet is a dank green industrial nightmare, the Emperor's palace looks like a golden beehive/clockwork-interior and the halls of Arrakeen are decorated with ancient Mosque-type mosaics. The art-direction is on a par with 'Blade Runner' and some of the FX are the greatest practical shots ever achieved... but then again other FX shots are on a par with 'Superman IV: The Quest for Peace' ;) . The black Stillsuit designs are iconic and fairly believable. Toto and Brian Eno's score is one of my favourites, I would kill to hear the 'Main Title' thundering out of a cinema setup... which is unlikely to ever happen, given the film's unpopularity.

I was under the impression that the film was not faithful to the book (which I've only just read) but in most respects it is, slavishly so in places. Whole scenes and all their dialogue are lifted near-verbatim from the pages of the novel (something Herbert was pleased about). If I recall correctly the film omits the greenhouse scenes, Kynes' death, the Fenring political intrigues back on Geidi Prime, some of the pursuit by the Harkonnens and doesn't go into culture of the Fremen with as much depth but that's about it. Lynch's script also adds elements that I'd argue improve the story and make it more filmic. The sadistic Harkonnen heart-plugs, the Baron's hideous diseases and Thufir's antidote-milk cat are twisted Lynch inventions. Plus of course the Weirding Modules were his idea. These Atreides sound weapons are not only one of the coolest things in sci-fi cinema but also improve the narrative. In the book, Paul and Jessica basically just teach martial arts to the Fremen, who were already the greatest warriors in the universe, making them "greaterer"? The formidable new Atreides sound weapons add extra believability to their successes in battle and to Leto's decision to walk knowingly into the Emperor's trap. One of the more contentious changes from the book seems to be Lynch adding a part where Paul makes it rain (for a minute or two) using his godlike powers because it would illogically harm the sandworms. Fine, except that's ignoring that in the novel, the Fremen are working towards the ultimate goal of making it rain on Arrakis.

Like Stanley Kubrick's 'Spartacus', 'Dune' was/is more or less disowned by it's Director because they didn't have complete creative control. Like 'Spartacus' they've perhaps missed that the film is still a masterpiece but unlike Kubrick's film, 'Dune' is unmistakably the work of David Lynch. Not just because it's filled with all his favourite actors. The slipping in and out of cryptic visions and the constant internal monologues gives the whole piece the feeling of an 'Eraserhead' waking dream/nightmare. I find it refreshing the way Lynch has little patience for explaining, simplifying, or sanitizing the bizarre archaic cultures of Herbert's universe. Despite pressure to deliver a 2-hour version, Lynch was involved in the making of the Theatrical Cut, as far as I'm aware. Apparently Universal have offered Lynch the chance to go back and do a much longer cut but he has refused. It's a shame he can't see what a great job he did.

Just wanted to thank you for your thoughts on the first Dune... I couldn't have said it better.  Literally agree with every word you wrote 1000%. 
...Not that the new film doesn't look engaging on its own... but it does very much seem to just be making Lynch's film again with a new, more diverse cast.  You would've thought they'd try for something much much different given how few people were happy with the final product...

Top Bottom