• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Trouble in Vegas - Pan/Crop Aspect Ratio Issue

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hello all. I was watching my final version of my edit for errors and came across a major one - there is a scene where I cropped the shot to sidestep a potential jump cut and all the cropped scenes are a different aspect ratio and do not have black bars like the rest of the film.

here is the ratio of the film:
1.jpg

here is the cropped scenes:
2.jpg

Is there any way I can force bars on these?
I am at a loss as to how I can fix this. any ideas?
thanks.

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well... what you've actually done so far is to zoom in on the frame....
now what you need to do is to actually "crop" the image... you do that
in the same box that you used to zoom in with... you need to "unlock" the aspect
ratio, (there's a button for that on the left hand side)... and use the adjustment
buttons on the top and/or bottom of the frame to adjust the height of the frame...

sorry, i'm not at home, or i'd get you a screenshot.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
can you tell where the adjustments get made using this screen?-
pancrop.jpg

thanks

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
sure... here you go...
i circled 2 buttons on the left hand side.... you have to unlock the aspect ratio and i believe it's the bottom button of those two... but mouse over it to be sure...

once you have unlocked the aspect ratio... use those edit buttons on the frame itself to change the size and shape of the frame... make sure the width is the same as the old one... and then reduce the size of the height of the frame to match what you want.

pancrop.jpg

i'd suggest overlapping this with another clip on another track... and lowering the level of this clip so you can see the correct aspect ratio on the clip underneath it... will be much easier to line up the frame that way.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
no matter what I adjust I cant get an exact match?
if i use the frame to drag the adjustments the results are too drastic. if i manually adjust the numbers on the left I notice no changes?

nevermind I got it. i had to select "match source aspect" before I started the adjustments.
thanks a million lewis

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hmm... i don't even think my version of vegas has "match source aspect"... i'm jealous... lol
well.. not sure i did much.. but you're welcome... glad i could help :)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would have used additional black bars for that.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lewis886 said:
hmm... i don't even think my version of vegas has "match source aspect"... i'm jealous... lol
well.. not sure i did much.. but you're welcome... glad i could help :)

you have to right click on the frame. (inside the rectangle w/ the F)
whether you admit it or not, that was a big help. thanks again!

boon23 said:
I would have used additional black bars for that.

care to elaborate on how that is accomplished good sir? :)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
2 possibilities:
1. (best) If you work with lagarith avi and render as lagarith avi, you can run the fanedit through virtualdub, do a crop with null transform and reinsert the black bars with resize before frameserving to your encoder. This will grant the correct black levels for all the bars and also avoid fuzzy edges.
2. create a black image in the size 800x800. Put it in your vegas project and use the event pan/crop to move the back image exactly where the black bar is supposed to be. You need one image for the top and one image for the bottom.

(also I have heard that vegas has a black bar feature, but I don't know where that is)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thanks boon. lewis' method worked well but its always nice to know other possible methods.
cheers!

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
good to know AvP, thanks!

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok I have everything sorted out with this edit except one nagging issue.
the same area I was having trouble with the aspect ratio previously in this topic has really ugly jaggies/interlace issues.
2.jpg

Is there anything I can do to minimize this? or is it an unavoidable side effect of zooming in?
On one hand its only a 5 second area but its really bothersome and I have already put so much effort into this edit I'd rather take the time to fix it if possible.
Thanks

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
my suggestion:
first work with this scene. Simple zooming in vegas might not be enough as it can degrade the image quality too much. Extract this scene, put it in virtualdub, crop and resize it there, use some filters (deinterlacing, deblocking) to increase the image quality, insert the black bars and reinsert it into the project.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i'll give that a try but am rather unfamiliar w/ v-dub

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
is that a screencap taken out of vegas... or is that taken from something that has already been rendered out? just asking because i've found the preview window to show different things than the final render does.... obviously you're going to lose some quality... but you might lose some of the interlacing effect on your render (supposing the render de-interlacing settings are correct)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
that image is taken from vegas but the final product still looks crummy.

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
and you have it set to de-interlace in the render settings?

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No, not in Vegas. I dealt with the interlacing in TMPGEnc because the film had a weird stutter to it otherwise.

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ah... ok... well... then i guess you'll need to try what boon suggested.... good luck

Top Bottom