• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Lighthouse

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"The Lighthouse" is a 2019 movie starring Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson, directed by Robert Eggers, and shot on black and white 35mm film. It's apparently a horror movie (although I've also heard it described as a dark comedy), and the trailers remind me of H. P. Lovecraft.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I want to see this, though I suppose I should watch the trailer before saying that.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I should do that too.
Is it getting a proper wide release, does anyone know?

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It had better receive a wide release. I've literally never been to the movies, and I want this one to be the first I watch on the big screen.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This movie's playing at a theatre near me, so I plan on going to an early showing tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it, for many reasons.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
It had better receive a wide release. I've literally never been to the movies, and I want this one to be the first I watch on the big screen.

You have never been to the movies??? That is weird but so emotional! Happy for you. You’ll have lots of fun. Enjoy and let us know!

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I will be seeing this tommorow, I'm very excited.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just got back from watching it. It's an excellent, excellent film. No spoilers, but to anyone expecting this to be a Lovecraftian picture, dispell that notion; iit isn't in the least.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
Just got back from watching it. It's an excellent, excellent film. No spoilers, but to anyone expecting this to be a Lovecraftian picture, dispell that notion; iit isn't in the least.

Robert Eggers has cited Lovecraft as an influence, but said that he didn't want to go full Lovecraftian.

Here's his quote on the subject (in tags to hide a very minor spoiler):

I knew there was a mystery in the lights, and that that could not be disclosed. There are Lovecraftian influences to this movie, but if this were properly Lovecraftian, when Rob finds Willem’s journal, it would have been filled with occult Dagon stuff that would explain that Dafoe is part of a Dagon cult and that there’s a slimy god that lives inside the tentacles and so on, you know what I mean? [laughs] That’s definitely what we did not want to do.

The Lighthouse Director Wades Through the Mysterious Ending of His Nautical Nightmare - Esquire

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I suppose how Lovecraftian the film feels depends on how supernatural/psychological one views the events of the film. I got more of a psychological vibe, myself.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know what to think about what I just watched.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
I don't know what to think about what I just watched.

Meditate on Dafoe's teeth and the answers will come.

Top Bottom