• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Hobbit - Matching Voice Eq at an Edit

Saitac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm trying to shorten an early scene from the Hobbit.  They're talking strategy and it just feels like it drags on.  I tried Eq'ing the voices but can't seem to match them.  I'd like some help.

Transition around second 0:19 ...

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think the voice transition sounds fine. The only noticeable things is the music as the previous scene doesn't have any and there wasn't any major revelation dialogue wise that would warrant sudden music. I think if you bring the music in earlier using the surround tracks (FL/FR & RL/RR) it would remove the feeling that an edit was made.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Balin’s voice does sound admittedly different though, for some reason. I’m not sure what can be done about it. Not sure how that happened in the first place either

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
Balin’s voice does sound admittedly different though, for some reason. I’m not sure what can be done about it. Not sure how that happened in the first place either

It's due to inflection and the fact that he didn't naturally flow into that line at 0:19. If Saitic didn't explicitly say so, I doubt anyone would have noticed.

Here's the original version for comparison. Start it around 2:40.

The voice work would pass a review. Again, I'd look more at the music part to help smooth over the transition.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Many audio editing tools have a spectrogram, something that will allow you to see which frequencies are present in a piece of audio while it's playing or paused. I'm no expert but I think something like this will help you see which frequencies need to be increased or decreased with EQ to match better. Here's a link describing how to see and use it in Audacity, which is free.

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/spectrogram_view.html

Definitely smooth the music out first to see if it's even necessary, like Dig suggested.

Saitac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for all the feedback.  I grabbed the OST soundtrack.  I wanted to bring the music in early even before asking (great suggestion DigModiFicaTion) but there was background chatter in all channels that prevented it.  I did a lowpass to cut out the higher pitch background chatter but there was one freaken voice in a low register that I couldn't strip out completely.  Drove me nuts.

DigModiFicaTion motived me to get the OST and use the relevant track.

I aligned the OST song and brought it in early as suggested.  Pain in the glutes but really turned out well IMHO.

Touched up the EQ very slightly to make it less jarring but not much.  I think it flows nicely now.

Thanks again all.

-Saitac

Top Bottom