• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Sony Vegas - no audio on Dolby 5.1 rips

superman4thefinalcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi guys...

I just can't figure this out.

I made a nice fan edit of a movie using Sony Vegas and had no trouble with sound. It was Dolby 2 channel.

However, now I'm trying to make a fan edit of another movie that is in 5.1 Dolby. I'm using Sony DVD Vegas 9. I use DVD Dcrypter to get my VOB file if I do Direct Stream, or M2V/VOB files if I select DEMUX.

If I select the first option, a VOB file with both video + sound included, I have to convert it to MPEG for Sony Vegas to understand it. That's fine as long as the sound is not 5.1. If it is, the MPEG file will not work in Sony Vegas and it will crash. If I go with option #2 demux, then I get an M2V file which is unusable in Sony Vegas and a VOB file with the sound, again unusable in Sony Vegas. I used TPMGEnc to convert the M2V to an MPEG without the sound, and then the MPEG finally works in Sony Vegas. Problem is... no sound.

What is this VOB file that contains the sound when I select DEMUX in DVD Dcrypter? Is that an AC3 file? If so, can I just rename it ac3? I tried that, and then tried to load it in Vegas... it crashed. Then I tried to convert the ac3 to a WAV or something else to get it to work in Vegas, but no luck. I don't understand what to do with this VOB file that has the sound to make it work in Vegas, or how to just convert it to stereo so it's so much easier. Or how to get both the video + sound to work in Vegas without separating it. I'm really lost.

Can someone help? I've downloaded a billion programs and nothing really works.

well... you weren't every clear on exactly which version of vegas you have... i assume you are on vegas "movie studio", instead of vegas pro... as pro is only up to version 8 so far...
and if you have the lowest version of "movie studio" you can't do 5.1 at all...
figure out which version you have... and use this comparison chart to find out what 5.1 resources your version has.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiope/compare

as you can see... Vegas Pro is the only thing that you can do a true 5.1 mix in...
you can do 5.1 encoding in the 2 "platinum" versions...
and there are no 5.1 capabilities on the regular "movie studio" version...

lewis886 said:
well... you weren't every clear on exactly which version of vegas you have... i assume you are on vegas "movie studio", instead of vegas pro... as pro is only up to version 8 so far...
and if you have the lowest version of "movie studio" you can't do 5.1 at all...
figure out which version you have... and use this comparison chart to find out what 5.1 resources your version has.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiope/compare

as you can see... Vegas Pro is the only thing that you can do a true 5.1 mix in...
you can do 5.1 encoding in the 2 "platinum" versions...
and there are no 5.1 capabilities on the regular "movie studio" version...

I am using Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.0.

hmm... well... i'm sure throw or JasonN can tell you what would be the best thing to do better than me... but here's my suggestion...

use dvd decryptor to get the movie off... and just go ahead and get the 2.0 mix with it... and mux them back together... insert the mpeg in to vegas, and then simply delete the audio track. THEN go back into dvd decryptor... and this time, only get the audio.. and only get the 5.1 mix.... once you do that... i'd go get the "besweet" audio tool to render out 6 separate wav files... then insert each of those into vegas on their on track... i'm not completely sure if this will work, since you can't pan in 5.1 with that version... but it's worth a try... OR maybe besweet can put it in a native 5.1 format that will be accepted by movie studio platinum.... dunno... i've never worked with 5.1 personally.

those are my suggestions anyway.... as i said... JasonN might be able to help you better.... ask him.

I use BeSweet to split the 5.1 AC3 into individual WAV files.

lewis886 said:
hmm... well... i'm sure throw or JasonN can tell you what would be the best thing to do better than me... but here's my suggestion...

use dvd decryptor to get the movie off... and just go ahead and get the 2.0 mix with it... and mux them back together... insert the mpeg in to vegas, and then simply delete the audio track. THEN go back into dvd decryptor... and this time, only get the audio.. and only get the 5.1 mix.... once you do that... i'd go get the "besweet" audio tool to render out 6 separate wav files... then insert each of those into vegas on their on track... i'm not completely sure if this will work, since you can't pan in 5.1 with that version... but it's worth a try... OR maybe besweet can put it in a native 5.1 format that will be accepted by movie studio platinum.... dunno... i've never worked with 5.1 personally.

those are my suggestions anyway.... as i said... JasonN might be able to help you better.... ask him.

I'm confused... I don't see any 2.0 mix other than the director's commentary. What do I do if I want to just edit in stereo instead of Dolby?

BTW- this is Superman II: The Donner Cut that I'm trying to work on. The 6 channel audio is giving me tons of trouble.

#1 i can't grab the video and audio as a VOB file, then convert that VOB to MPEG, because Vegas won't accept it.

#2 if I demux it from the start, Vegas can't take the m2v video file or the VOB sound file.

#3 If I only rip the video into a VOB, then change it to an MPEG, Vegas takes it, no problem.

#4 But then, what about the audio? Is the VOB sound file an ac3 file? Why won't it work in Vegas? Is there a way to change it to 2 channel audio? Is there a way to use the ac3 file in Vegas?

well... as i said... you are going to delete the 2.0 track anyway... so just go ahead and rip the 2.0 track with it... and if option 3 is the option that works... then use option 3.... just do whatever you need to to get the video into vegas...

and for the audio... as i said... after you've got the video into vegas and working... then go back and use dvd decrypter to rip only the audio... only the 6 channel audio.. and use "besweet" to transform it into something useable.... no, vegas doesn't accept .ac3 files..

and as ghostcut said... "use BeSweet to split the 5.1 AC3 into individual WAV files."

lewis886 said:
well... as i said... you are going to delete the 2.0 track anyway... so just go ahead and rip the 2.0 track with it... and if option 3 is the option that works... then use option 3.... just do whatever you need to to get the video into vegas...

and for the audio... as i said... after you've got the video into vegas and working... then go back and use dvd decrypter to rip only the audio... only the 6 channel audio.. and use "besweet" to transform it into something useable.... no, vegas doesn't accept .ac3 files..

and as ghostcut said... "use BeSweet to split the 5.1 AC3 into individual WAV files."

Thank you for your time, I will try the steps you mentioned. At least I finally know it was the dolby 5.1 causing the problem. I was sitting there last night thinking something was wrong with the MPEG file itself and never considered the sound issue.

I will let you know if I am successful.

I wanted to thank you again for helping me out. I used ImToo DVD ripper to rip the audio separately to an mp3 file and it works great.

no problem... glad you found a way to get what you needed :)

Back
Top Bottom