If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Help with Masking Out a Moving Object
What program are you editing with? If it was Vegas and it's only two shots it's simple and easy to do at least a half decent job. It just takes time and care.
(09-19-2019, 05:56 PM)TM2YC Wrote: What program are you editing with? If it was Vegas and it's only two shots it's simple and easy to do at least a half decent job. It just takes time and care.

Vegas movie studio HD platinum 11.
Glad I didn't watch that at work....as TM2YC said, this isn't too hard of a job, it just takes a while. I'd recommend building the skill.
(09-19-2019, 06:34 PM)wilhelm scream Wrote:
(09-19-2019, 05:56 PM)TM2YC Wrote: What program are you editing with? If it was Vegas and it's only two shots it's simple and easy to do at least a half decent job. It just takes time and care.

Assuming your version has the mask tool, watch this video:

From about 3-mins in it tells you how to carefully draw around an object for 1 frame, then repeat for other frames. A good tip is to draw around frame 1, then draw round frame 3. Vegas will then guess at what frame 2's mask looks like but follow it up with your own adjustments. This principle saves a lot of time, especially if movement within the frame is small e.g. do frame 1, then frame 60, then frame 30, then frames 15 and 45 etc until the mask accurately follows your chosen object.

It'll take you ages but you'll end up with the 1st guy masked from the background. Then drop in a blank background behind him without guy 2.
[+] 3 users Like TM2YC's post
(09-20-2019, 01:16 AM)TM2YC Wrote:
(09-19-2019, 06:34 PM)wilhelm scream Wrote:

Assuming your version has the mask tool, watch this video:

From about 3-mins in it tells you how to carefully draw around an object for 1 frame, then repeat for other frames. A good tip is to draw around frame 1, then draw round frame 3. Vegas will then guess at what frame 2's mask looks like but follow it up with your own adjustments. This principle saves a lot of time, especially if movement within the frame is small e.g. do frame 1, then frame 60, then frame 30, then frames 15 and 45 etc until the mask accurately follows your chosen object.

It'll take you ages but you'll end up with the 1st guy masked from the background. Then drop in a blank background behind him without guy 2.

My version does not have the mask button.
I use VSDC and I don't know how to make this work because of the movement. I cant get it to line up from frame to frame:

Matching the movement of that scar was probably never going to work.

A good technique for matching the movement in that shot would be to add the bandage thing to a single frame from that shot in photoshop (or similar program). Get it looking seamlessly integrated to that one still frame. Then "motion track" the whole new face in that frame to the old face in every other frame. Then mask off just the bandage with some feathering and it should hopefully look synced okay.
[+] 1 user Likes TM2YC's post
(10-07-2019, 12:59 AM)TM2YC Wrote: Matching the movement of that scar was probably never going to work.

A good technique for matching the movement in that shot would be to add the bandage thing to a single frame from that shot in photoshop (or similar program). Get it looking seamlessly integrated to that one still frame. Then "motion track" the whole new face in that frame to the old face in every other frame. Then mask off just the bandage with some feathering and it should hopefully look synced okay.

Thanks! So glad that you and others have been her to help advise me. This level of editing is VERY new to me. I haven't been doing any of it very long to be honest. So I will have to play with this and see if I have the skills and or the software to to do what I want to accomplish lol.