• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Help with Masking Out a Moving Object

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I need elements removed from a video and I am not very good at doing those kind of things, so some help would be appreciated.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can you elaborate? What kind of elements do you need removed?

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In that case, you need help with masking.  A program such as After Effects can accomplish this.  Have a look here.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
In that case, you need help with masking.  A program such as After Effects can accomplish this.  Have a look here.

I'm too poor to get it.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think your options are to
1) save up your pennies
2) do some research into free options and grow a new skill in masking
3) be more informative as we still have no clue other than masking

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
I'm too poor to get it.

I wrote: "such as After Effects".  Try Blender, DaVinci Resolve, and Kdenlive.  Most decent NLEs have some kind of masking capability, and there are quite a few free ones around these days.  You should be able to find one that will do what you want.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thread title changed to something that actually says what the thread is :D .

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Thread title changed to something that actually says what the thread is :D .

That will be pretty hard to do, considering that I need the man on the left in the first shot to be removed, and the man in the background to be removed in the second shot. 

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What program are you editing with? If it was Vegas and it's only two shots it's simple and easy to do at least a half decent job. It just takes time and care.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
What program are you editing with? If it was Vegas and it's only two shots it's simple and easy to do at least a half decent job. It just takes time and care.

Vegas movie studio HD platinum 11.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Glad I didn't watch that at work....as TM2YC said, this isn't too hard of a job, it just takes a while. I'd recommend building the skill.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
TM2YC said:

Assuming your version has the mask tool, watch this video:

From about 3-mins in it tells you how to carefully draw around an object for 1 frame, then repeat for other frames. A good tip is to draw around frame 1, then draw round frame 3. Vegas will then guess at what frame 2's mask looks like but follow it up with your own adjustments. This principle saves a lot of time, especially if movement within the frame is small e.g. do frame 1, then frame 60, then frame 30, then frames 15 and 45 etc until the mask accurately follows your chosen object.

It'll take you ages but you'll end up with the 1st guy masked from the background. Then drop in a blank background behind him without guy 2.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
wilhelm scream said:
TM2YC said:

Assuming your version has the mask tool, watch this video:

From about 3-mins in it tells you how to carefully draw around an object for 1 frame, then repeat for other frames. A good tip is to draw around frame 1, then draw round frame 3. Vegas will then guess at what frame 2's mask looks like but follow it up with your own adjustments. This principle saves a lot of time, especially if movement within the frame is small e.g. do frame 1, then frame 60, then frame 30, then frames 15 and 45 etc until the mask accurately follows your chosen object.

It'll take you ages but you'll end up with the 1st guy masked from the background. Then drop in a blank background behind him without guy 2.

My version does not have the mask button.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use VSDC and I don't know how to make this work because of the movement. I cant get it to line up from frame to frame:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Matching the movement of that scar was probably never going to work.

A good technique for matching the movement in that shot would be to add the bandage thing to a single frame from that shot in photoshop (or similar program). Get it looking seamlessly integrated to that one still frame. Then "motion track" the whole new face in that frame to the old face in every other frame. Then mask off just the bandage with some feathering and it should hopefully look synced okay.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Matching the movement of that scar was probably never going to work.

A good technique for matching the movement in that shot would be to add the bandage thing to a single frame from that shot in photoshop (or similar program). Get it looking seamlessly integrated to that one still frame. Then "motion track" the whole new face in that frame to the old face in every other frame. Then mask off just the bandage with some feathering and it should hopefully look synced okay.

Thanks! So glad that you and others have been her to help advise me. This level of editing is VERY new to me. I haven't been doing any of it very long to be honest. So I will have to play with this and see if I have the skills and or the software to to do what I want to accomplish lol.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After months of trying to find an alternate solution, I think I found one. I'll let you know if it works.

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
moneygroup said:
very informative. Thanks you.

@"moneygroup", are you using photoshop to make a single frame overlay, and working from there? Or do you find it easier to do everything in Vegas? I'm more familiar with photoshop, so I tend to use that.

Top Bottom