• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

A Link to the Past - My Legend of Zelda Fan Film

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's finally here...

Below was the original post asking for feedback for a specific scene at the end:

I want the opinion of you guys about several things. Does this look good? How is the editing so far? And, more importantly, I have two different versions of the fight. I ripped my 25th Anniversary Concert CD from my Skyward Sword game box, and I can't decide whether the clip with Twilight Princess music works better or the one with Wind Waker music. See below:

Which one works better?

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It looks fantastic, the costumes, the fight choreography, it looks good and I'm super excited. I watched without sound so I can't report on which music works better, but I'll get back to you on that later.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
It looks fantastic, the costumes, the fight choreography, it looks good and I'm super excited. I watched without sound so I can't report on which music works better, but I'll get back to you on that later.

Wow thanks for the high praise :)

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's a weird cut 19 seconds in. I'm watching without sound and can't watch the whole thing right now, I'll give proper feedback later.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
There's a weird cut 19 seconds in. I'm watching without sound and can't watch the whole thing right now, I'll give proper feedback later.

I don't see it. Could you elaborate?

EDIT: Are you talking about the cut from wide to close? I can easily fix that.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
jrWHAG42 said:

I don't see it. Could you elaborate?

EDIT: Are you talking about the cut from wide to close? I can easily fix that.

Yes, that's what I mean. I can't explain what exactly is weird about it, it just doesn't look right.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Action scenes are pretty telegraphed. I watched the first video at 1.25x speed and it helped the sword choreography.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Action scenes are pretty telegraphed. I watched the first video at 1.25x speed and it helped the sword choreography.

Hmm I’ll look into it but could you check the last video I shared as well? Not for the speed but for the other things, it is quite different now.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some notes:

Visual
The Ganon makeup noticeably disappeared for part of the fight. You may be able to correct this digitally by masking and tracking his face.

The makeup itself does appear pretty similar to blackface makeup, which is a different kind of problem, but maybe not that big of a deal on this case because that's obviously not the intent and it is based on the game character who does pretty much look like that.

When Link falls to the ground, he fumbles around trying to stand, and it looks like he's going to grab his shield because of the framing. But instead, he walks toward camera and exits the shot that direction, where Ganon is (or at least where he was when we saw him last), and is able to walk slowly to his sword and pick it up. I think you should add an insert of Ganon doing something or somehow being preoccupied or distracted, to geographically establish that he's no longer close to Link. Otherwise why did he stop attacking, walk so far away, and just stand there to allow Link to recover? He was winning and then just stopped participating. Breaking up that shot will also eliminate the confusion of Link not going for the shield that was visible in frame.

The effect you're using to make him disappear doesn't work, I've tried that same effect in After Effects, a morph transition, takes forever to render and the results always look like that, you have no control over it. What you should do instead is stabilize the first shot and use a regular cross-fade. Then use a combination of zoom and rotation to match up the second shot's angle as close as possible to the first. Then duplicate the second shot and set the duplicate to freeze on the first frame, before the sword is visible, so you have a clean plate. Line the frozen shot up underneath the entire first shot on the timeline so the fade works smoothly, and allow the second shot to start to play sometime during or after the cross-fade. If you can match the angles well enough, you might not need the clean plate.

Sound
The beginning has no effects, needs to have some leaf rustling sounds for getting up and walking.
The weapons and shield clack together like plastic. They'll seem much more realistic with some metal sounds replacing what's there.
When the music starts, then Ganon talks, his voice is very low in comparison to the music, the music should dip lower while he talks, or the voice can just be raised.

Overall
I like the costumes, the filming is competent, the performances and choreography aren't boring or noticeably awkward (though I don't speak Turkish so I can't tell whether the line delivery is any good), and the editing isn't bad. Good work in progress, just needs some polishing.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched with sound. The music makes it 10x better.

I agree mostly with Addiesin, except I saw no problem with the part when Link falls.

The part where Ganondorf's makeup is missing, it doesn't take me out of it at all, and I don't mind it. You never see his face clearly during this portion, and it's totally something that'd be done in a show or movie to save time during reshoots. I think there's a certain charm to it. Mayi have no idea what I'm talking about.

The makeup being reminiscent to blackface, might be fixable with some color corrections, maybe there's a way to at a hint of green to his face.

Blackface is mostly an American concept, so I understand that it doesn't immidiatly come to mind during production of films outside the US, King Kong vs Godzilla comes to mind.

All in all, I really like this.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Some notes:

Visual
The Ganon makeup noticeably disappeared for part of the fight. You may be able to correct this digitally by masking and tracking his face.

The makeup itself does appear pretty similar to blackface makeup, which is a different kind of problem, but maybe not that big of a deal on this case because that's obviously not the intent and it is based on the game character who does pretty much look like that.

When Link falls to the ground, he fumbles around trying to stand, and it looks like he's going to grab his shield because of the framing. But instead, he walks toward camera and exits the shot that direction, where Ganon is (or at least where he was when we saw him last), and is able to walk slowly to his sword and pick it up. I think you should add an insert of Ganon doing something or somehow being preoccupied or distracted, to geographically establish that he's no longer close to Link. Otherwise why did he stop attacking, walk so far away, and just stand there to allow Link to recover? He was winning and then just stopped participating. Breaking up that shot will also eliminate the confusion of Link not going for the shield that was visible in frame.

The effect you're using to make him disappear doesn't work, I've tried that same effect in After Effects, a morph transition, takes forever to render and the results always look like that, you have no control over it. What you should do instead is stabilize the first shot and use a regular cross-fade. Then use a combination of zoom and rotation to match up the second shot's angle as close as possible to the first. Then duplicate the second shot and set the duplicate to freeze on the first frame, before the sword is visible, so you have a clean plate. Line the frozen shot up underneath the entire first shot on the timeline so the fade works smoothly, and allow the second shot to start to play sometime during or after the cross-fade. If you can match the angles well enough, you might not need the clean plate.

Sound
The beginning has no effects, needs to have some leaf rustling sounds for getting up and walking.
The weapons and shield clack together like plastic. They'll seem much more realistic with some metal sounds replacing what's there.
When the music starts, then Ganon talks, his voice is very low in comparison to the music, the music should dip lower while he talks, or the voice can just be raised.

Overall
I like the costumes, the filming is competent, the performances and choreography aren't boring or noticeably awkward (though I don't speak Turkish so I can't tell whether the line delivery is any good), and the editing isn't bad. Good work in progress, just needs some polishing.

Thank you so much for the detailed feedback @"addiesin" I really appreciate it. This scene is far from finished, I only hoped to lock the basic editing before I moved on to the visual and sound editing. This scene takes place in the Dark World so it will look a lot darker, brown-ish and more twisted. This will also ensure that the doubles when it gets to the fight will be much less noticable, pretty much hiding the difference in actors and the lack of makeup. And yes I don't think the makeup will cause any issue because he is a Gerudo and Gerudo skin is very dark green like it is in the scene. And the sound effects will definitely get an overhaul.

When it comes to Ganon suddenly stopping attacking Link, I wanted to show that Ganon is toying with Link, and after Link punches him with his shield, he shows that he can easily demolish him if he intends to. Earlier he says "When my dark magic finishes destroying the seal, Zelda will be killed." So all he is doing is taunting Link until the deed is done.

As for showing how Ganon moved away from Link, do you think moving up the shot at 2:17 to after Link tries to get up would work?

I only used the morph effect as a placeholder until I move on to the film's visual effects; I never intended to use it in the final cut. I'm hoping to have a very unique effect to his disappearance, as if the realm is cleansing itself of his dark corruption and restoring itself to its original, sacred form.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Revised version listening to @"DigModiFicaTion" and @"addiesin"'s feedback. Please ignore the sync issue I missed at the beginning, I fixed that immediately but didn't want to reupload the whole thing again.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
Thank you so much for the detailed feedback @"addiesin" I really appreciate it. This scene is far from finished, I only hoped to lock the basic editing before I moved on to the visual and sound editing. This scene takes place in the Dark World so it will look a lot darker, brown-ish and more twisted. This will also ensure that the doubles when it gets to the fight will be much less noticable, pretty much hiding the difference in actors and the lack of makeup. And yes I don't think the makeup will cause any issue because he is a Gerudo and Gerudo skin is very dark green like it is in the scene. And the sound effects will definitely get an overhaul.
I only used the morph effect as a placeholder until I move on to the film's visual effects; I never intended to use it in the final cut. I'm hoping to have a very unique effect to his disappearance, as if the realm is cleansing itself of his dark corruption and restoring itself to its original, sacred form.
Sounds like you have all that under control.

When it comes to Ganon suddenly stopping attacking Link, I wanted to show that Ganon is toying with Link, and after Link punches him with his shield, he shows that he can easily demolish him if he intends to. Earlier he says "When my dark magic finishes destroying the seal, Zelda will be killed." So all he is doing is taunting Link until the deed is done.

As for showing how Ganon moved away from Link, do you think moving up the shot at 2:17 to after Link tries to get up would work?

When it's finished, it'd be cool to see it with English subtitles if you have time (not baked into the render, but on YouTube or as an srt file or something). I know doing that can be really tedious so I understand if you choose not to. That dialogue does clear things up some.

But, also, in the new version you just posted, moving that Gannon shot helped a lot all on its own, IMO.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
When it's finished, it'd be cool to see it with English subtitles if you have time (not baked into the render, but on YouTube or as an srt file or something). I know doing that can be really tedious so I understand if you choose not to. That dialogue does clear things up some.

But, also, in the new version you just posted, moving that Gannon shot helped a lot all on its own, IMO.

Oh English subtitles will definitely be done, no question about it!

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
New clip:

Again, the sound effects and visual effects are definitely not done yet. But I'm looking for feedback for the editing, hoping to lock it in. Thoughts?

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points

After months and months of editing, I can finally see the finish line on my Legend of Zelda project! All that's left to be done is Visual Effects, but after that the film will be ready for release. I'm very excited so I started "marketing" my movie with a teaser above!

I'm so excited to share this with all of you!

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:

After months and months of editing, I can finally see the finish line on my Legend of Zelda project! All that's left to be done is Visual Effects, but after that the film will be ready for release. I'm very excited so I started "marketing" my movie with a teaser above!

I'm so excited to share this with all of you!

I'm really looking forwards to this! I've also started working on my first ever feature film!

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'M SO EXCITED
I was just thinking about this the other day!

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This looks like a great project... I cannot wait to see the finished product!

Top Bottom