• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek: The Eden Incident

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
64650527_10156559564600910_7307635091751043072_n.jpg

An edit combining Star Trek TOS episodes 'The Way To Eden' and 'Requiem For Methuselah' into one extended episode, with the connective tissue being that the Synthococcusnovae disease and 'Eden' planet in the former, are now both represented in the latter, with 'Eden' being Flint's planet.

Although not one of the most popular episodes of the series, Requiem for Methuselah is my favourite episode. Maybe because it’s one of the first I remember watching during the 1990s repeats on the BBC, maybe because of the complexity of the character of Flint.

Flint’s planet is now the Eden planet, which compliments the dialogue. In 'The Way To Eden', Spock detects no life other than that aboard the stolen shuttlecraft containing the hippies. Flint’s planet is surrounded by screens, which he says “create the impression of lifelessness”.

CUTS

Replacement of the original Act I opening music (used several times throughout The Way To Eden) and Captain’s Log, with the bold 'Ship In Orbit' season two library cue.

The portion of the Kirk/Spock bridge scene in which Spock tells Kirk what 'Herbert' is. I like that we don't know!

The first Chekhov/Irina scene has been truncated.

After McCoy informs Kirk that the disease is a virulent strain, I cut to a close up of Kirk from 'Day of the Dove', with the dramatic 'boom' sting, before dissolving into the following bridge scene, completely removing the scene of Sulu being seduced to become a 'follower'.

The majority of the hippies' songs. The only major piece I've kept in is Spock playing his Vulcan harp with a hippie who looks like she's playing a bicycle wheel! I had to keep this in as it was the distraction that allowed the hippies to take over the ship.

I've also cut all references in the plot of The Way To Eden in which Spock and Chekhov help locate Eden. If the crew is endangered by an infection, surely the priority is to head to the nearest Starbase for additional medical assistance? In my edit, the hippies simply take over the auxillary control room because Irina had found Chekhov working in there and sussed out what its purpose was.

All references to Romulans and Romulan space are cut. Eden/Flint's planet is remote still, but remains in Federation space.

When the hippies steal a shuttle and head for Eden, there was originally just an orbit shot of the Enterprise. This edit uses a shot of a shuttle exit the hangar deck from The Doomsday Machine.

Prior to the M4 robot appearing for the first time, a cutaway exterior shot of the shuttlecraft returning to the Enterprise is shown with Chekhov returning with the four surviving hippies.

A shot of the M4 robot moving away from Kirk and the landing party after being ordered to by Flint, has been truncated. The original shot clearly showed the robot attached to the camera.

Kirk's reference to Flint's planet being 'Holberg 917G' has been cut.

Several trims are made to the 'Requiem For Methuselah' segment, to balance out the proportion of both episodes. Amongst others, the following cuts are based on the original syndication edits:

After a commercial break, the newly introduced Rayna and Flint approach the landing party.

McCoy wonders what else interests Rayna besides gravity phenomena, and Rayna responds that everything does.

Kirk entering Flint's lab.

Rayna indicates that Flint has ordered her never to go into a specific room in the lab. In the original episode, Rayna answers "I do not know" to two of Kirk’s questions. Here, I drop the first "I do not know" and all dialogue until the second.

Following a commercial break, M4 approaches Kirk and Rayna, followed by Kirk pushing her away before trying to hide behind the screen.

Flint and Rayna discuss why M4 attacked Kirk. Here, I simply cut back to Kirk and Spock when Flint turns off the monitor.

A pair of reaction shots after Spock reminds Kirk that the rytelayn should be their immediate concern.

During the playing of the Waltz, I add in an exterior shot of Flint’s castle, and I 'echo' the music, giving the impression we are hearing the music from a distance outside. It’s one of the few touches I think enhances and differs the edit from the original episode.

I much prefer the original title music, so this will underscore the remastered opening titles.

I cut McCoy's dialogue concerning Flint dying. This is because a) he's supposed to be immortal and it kinda ruins the entire story for me, and b) it spoils the idea of an immortal man creating an immortal android to keep him company. If he were dying why worry about creating a lifelong android? I always felt it was done to 'finish off' the Flint storyline.

The starbase at the end of 'The Way To Eden' is in space rather than planet-side, using Space Station K7 from 'The Trouble With Tribbles'. I would have preferred to use the starbase from 'The Ultimate Computer', but there is less useable footage to play with.

Newly sequenced end credits, with the alternate variant of the Season Three end theme.

CONTINUITY:

I’ve adjusted the planet-side scenes so that only the fruit are deadly to human life. I had to keep this in to kill off Sevrin and ‘finish’ the hippie segment of the narrative. Keeping the planet as acidic wouldn’t have worked, else Flint would not be here. Of course, this means that Flint can’t eat any native fruit, but he says his M4 robot is his ‘butler’, so he probably eats replicated food.

The crew begins to feel the effects of the illness during The Way To Eden segment. I’ve used footage from The Tholian Web to show an engineer beginning to feel the disease’s effects.

After the hippies take over the ship, I use McCoy’s dialogue from The Immunity Syndrome in which he says the crew are all dying, before a reaction shot of Kirk on the bridge from 'The Lights of Zetar' leading into a newly-compiled Captain’s Log with footage overlaid of the hippies in the auxiliary control room, a hectic sickbay from 'The Immunity Syndrome', and a bridge viewscreen shot of approaching the planet from 'The Omega Glory'.

Kirk’s opening Captain’s Log from 'Requiem For Methuselah' is used over a shot of the Enterprise orbiting Eden prior to the landing party beaming down. Slightly edited, it informs us that the ship is now in a raging epidemic, and that rytelayn is needed to cure the disease.

I've included a few clips of Flint watching the landing party on Eden on his monitor screen. In Requiem for Methuselah he does indicate he has watched the Enterprise "since it entered this system". It also helps bridge both segments.

After Dr Sevrin dies, McCoy locates some rytelayn on his tricorder, and I include a close-up of the tricorder from 'Plato's Stepchildren', and the trio set off, whilst Chekhov returns to the ship.

I've added audio from 'The Way To Eden' in which McCoy refers to Synthococcusnovae, when he talks to Flint about the disease's effects resembling the buponic plague.

After Spock removes Kirk’s memories of Rayna, we return to the end of The Way To Eden in which the surviving hippies head to the starbase.
Kirk is himself again, thanks to Spock’s mind meld.

The final exterior shot of the Enterprise leaving the Starbase now has the final end music from Plato's Stepchildren replacing the original.

One snag is that the Eden planet and Flint’s planet have different coloured atmospheres – the former is blue, the latter is pink! Exterior shots aren’t a problem – I simply kept all orbital shots as Flint’s planet. For the planet-side shots, I came up with the idea that the crew beams down just before sunset. I will tint the shots a slight orange/pink, and then during the transition between both episodes use a sunset clip, which bridges both episodes. Thereafter, the pink of Flint’s planet makes sense – for it is now dusk. Later, each of the establishing shots of Flint’s castle is minutely darker than the subsequent one to create the impression that the events of the episode take place during early to mid evening. This follows through in the episode when Flint refers to both 'dinner' and 'tonight'.

To ensure both episodes' planet atmospheres are the same, I use a planet sound effect during all the outdoor footage, except the grounds of Flint's Castle. This is necessary because originally Flint's planet surface had a background sound effect whereas Eden did not.

SHOT CORRECTIONS

I’ve removed two poor pieces of editing from The Way To Eden. Originally, two reaction shots of Kirk were flipped – the first has been removed as said scene has been cut.

The second is two awful flip shots as Kirk watches Sevrin climb an apple tree on Eden. I simply re-structure and trim the scene.

NEWLY FILMED FOOTAGE

I have filmed new footage of the Eden planet after the landing party has beamed down, with myself as Kirk. These take place before the hippies are found, and prior to encountering Flint when the trio search for the Ryetalyn, and include cutaway scenic shots of Eden's surface.

Also, a sunset shot to enunciate the passage of time passing.

Myself as Kirk, entering the grounds of Flint's Castle, including new footage accompanying Kirk’s line that Flint's home is 'impressive'.

Two shots of Kirk wondering around Flint's castle, prior to encountering Rayna in the lab.

Kirk walking up some steps to meet Spock and McCoy in the lab.

Running time: 1hr 23 mins.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Warlord said:
I have filmed new footage of the Eden planet after the landing party has beamed down, with myself as Kirk. These take place before the hippies are found, and prior to encountering Flint when the trio search for the Ryetalyn, and include cutaway scenic shots of Eden's surface.

Myself as Kirk, entering the grounds of Flint's Castle, including new footage accompanying Kirk’s line that Flint's home is 'impressive'.

Interesting. I'm curious to see what these look like. Could you post examples of your filmed sections?

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well here's me as a Kirk for a mock-up 'promotional shot'.
67408931_10156629095805910_8848264501053620224_o.jpg

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Do you have a video? I'm curious to see how the new content fits along side the show.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Edit is up on IFDB. I've left a short review.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't meet the Own the Source requirements to download this edit, but I salute you for the audacity of quite literally inserting yourself as Kirk! And I, too, would be interested in seeing a clip of this bit on the YouTubes or such. :)

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
I don't meet the Own the Source requirements to download this edit, but I salute you for the audacity of quite literally inserting yourself as Kirk! And I, too, would be interested in seeing a clip of this bit on the YouTubes or such. :)
Thank you Sir! I shall look into it! :)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Warlord said:
Thank you Sir! I shall look into it! :)

I think i can help: highlight short segment, render short segment, upload short segment to youtube, share segment in the forum ;)

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So is it OK to share the YouTube link here?

(It may possibly have to be Vimeo, as YouTube sometimes picks up copyright on music, but we'll see...)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Warlord said:
So is it OK to share the YouTube link here?

(It may possibly have to be Vimeo, as YouTube sometimes picks up copyright on music, but we'll see...)

Yeah that's fine, if it's fine with youtube's copyright management. You can lock your videos with passwords and disable downloads on Vimeo.

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has everyone who wanted to, had a chance to look at the new footage yet?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is the same footage I watched in the preview, or has it been edited or trimmed?

Looks the same to me.

To be honest, for me, it does not work.  I appreciate why you did it (I mean who hasn't dreamed on being the Star Trek Universe and having adventures with the Trinity!!!  :D ) and I love your passion for it.

But on a narrative and suspension of disbelief level, for me, it is a story breaker.

The home shot footage goes on too long.  It does not match the soundstage look of either episode.  And frankly, you are clearly not the Shat-man lol. :p  No amount of Trek music or voice overs will sell this for me.

So when the fan edit reaches this moment, and then again during the castle shots, it completely takes me out of the story and I never truly get back into it again.

Again, I understand why wanted to do it, and love you all the more for it, but for me, it shatters the reality of narrative.

Sorry.  :(

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fair enough Bob :) Zarius seemed to like it.

I did trim the footage a bit, and added a few voice overs to avoid a music-only section.

Of course I didn't film on a soundstage - but even then some episodes like Friday's Child switch between stage and exterior.

I'm not the Shat - never claimed to be. But I do think my hair and build in those scenes is a worthy attempt to add a bit extra. I'm not a lookalike, but then neither were any of the fan film guys. The Star Trek Continues Kirk does a great acting job, but he doesn't resemble Shatner any more than I do. I think my hair is the closest out of all the fanfilm attempts, I will be honest. It's my natural style.

I get what you're saying, and tbh it may only be a one-off, I just really wanted to do it, as Requiem is my favourite story, and the edit has been in my head a long time! :)

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Having neither seen the original episodes nor this edit, I can't judge how your footage fits in context, which is really the only aspect that matters. But I found it an interesting watch on its own, so, thanks for that. :)

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Warlord said:
Fair enough Bob :) Zarius seemed to like it.

I did trim the footage a bit, and added a few voice overs to avoid a music-only section.

Of course I didn't film on a soundstage - but even then some episodes like Friday's Child switch between stage and exterior.

I'm not the Shat - never claimed to be. But I do think my hair and build in those scenes is a worthy attempt to add a bit extra. I'm not a lookalike, but then neither were any of the fan film guys. The Star Trek Continues Kirk does a great acting job, but he doesn't resemble Shatner any more than I do. I think my hair is the closest out of all the fanfilm attempts, I will be honest. It's my natural style.

I get what you're saying, and tbh it may only be a one-off, I just really wanted to do it, as Requiem is my favourite story, and the edit has been in my head a long time! :)

The thing about Star Trek Continues is that it does not include footage of Shater, so it's not a problem. But since your inserting footage which shows your face in something that also includes Shatner's, it is very distracting. If you just shot yourself from behind, it would be fine.

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hope I'm not coming across as egotistical, I really just wanted a bit of fun and to 'fulfill' a dream...

If it really isn't everyone's cup of tea, I can always release a second me-less version...

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Warlord said:
I hope I'm not coming across as egotistical, I really just wanted a bit of fun and to 'fulfill' a dream...

If it really isn't everyone's cup of tea, I can always release a second me-less version...

This is your project, it should be for you first and foremost.

I for one like the idea. I haven't watched the full clip, I just skipped around, but I think it works well enough.

I think it's usually crucial when replacing an actor to never show your face clearly, and cut back to shots of the actor whenever possible. But I really don't mind it. I suppose no matter how it's edited, if someone knows there's new footage it'll still stick out to them, even if it's mostly seamless.

I guess the only way to truly fix people's disinterest would be to make a version without the new scene.
But only if you're comfortable with that.

Top Bottom