• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

BBC's The Musketeers

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Found this one at the library and unfortunately I had to start on season 3 to check it out. I've always loved the musketeer stories and sans 2001's Musketeer, most of the cinematic outings have been great. The opening episode of season 3 has a huge battle that was filmed well and wasn't too over the top. I'm usually not a BBC fan, but this one seemed like I might have found a gem. I did a quick imdb check and it had a rating of 7.8/10. Based on the high score, my initial favorable reaction to the season 3 opener, I very uncharacteristically bought the first two seasons for a decent price on blu ray. Kind of kicking myself for this now. Here's why:

Narrative: 5/10
While the look and presentation is great and pretty spot on, the characters and story are very much diminished. What we know as the Musketeers story is spread out over multiple episodes in a disjointed fashion as to kill any narrative continuity. Each episode is a stand alone fragment, but never really connects in a coherent way.

Characters: 7/10
The casting choices are pretty spectacular. Athos is great, Aramis is great, Porthos is probably my favorite and D'Artagnan fits the mold well. Where the real issues are for me are in the portrayal of D'Artagnan and Constance. In this presentation, noble D'Artagnan is reduced to an adulterous entitled tag along for the musketeers. Constance, who repeatedly informs D'Artagnan that she is married, houses him and their love affair grows from there. This isn't even mentioned or implied in the third season or even in the trailer for the show so I wish I would have held off and caught the first season first. It's hard to care about a character who's integrity is shot, especially when they talk about his loyalty and goodness as defining characteristic. The actress playing Constance is less than stellar as well and I'm not sure why she was cast to be honest. Most everyone else does a good job and is convincing in their roles.

Enjoyment: 5/10
This one gets old really fast, and I mean really fast. I put it on and found myself gravitating to other things and not paying attention. It's painfully formulaic and once you've seen one episode you know what to expect. Character enters, some dialogue to establish some sort of plot, bad guys show up and the musketeers fight them. What's worse, the entire show is riddled with a constant synthesized score that's presented in 2.0 stereo and repeats itself throughout. It becomes audio diarrhea after awhile. This pretty much kills any hope of re purposing this show to create a cohesive feature film edit. Again, D'Artagnan's character is so tarnished in this one that it's hard to want to invest anymore time into the story episodes.

Take away:
The show looks great and it's good for an infrequent viewing, but this certainly won't be replacing any of its predecessors as the go to version of the musketeers.

If there are any lovers of this show that have ideas for how it could be edited to create a flowing narrative feel free to share those thoughts.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, that sounds pretty rough, especially that D'Artangan storyline. Sorry that the viewing experience wasn't better.

I never saw the show, but I felt bad for the producers when Peter Capaldi, who played Richelieu, got cast as the Doctor in Doctor Who, effectively killing any plans they had to continue that character later on. Of course, having read your review, it sounds like there wasn't much salvageable about it in the first place.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think I only watched the Capaldi series in it's entirety and dropped off after he left.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well I bought season 3..... why do I feel like a foolish youngman picking fights with three seasons of a show I don't especially care for.....well I better prepare for my duel at noon ;)

With vocal remover this just might have a chance.

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the first 3 seasons, but it landed badly as it headed towards to the end.

Top Bottom