• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Fanediting in 3D

Menbailee

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is it possible to rip and edit 3D blu rays in the usual way?  The technology works by mixing or alternating frames, but I have no idea how that video is encoded.  If it's just a regular video stream with alternating frames that the player then interprets, then easy-peasy, and if not, then I'm not sure if the community ever worked out how to deal with the technology.

Yes, home 3D TVs are basically extinct in the US, but I just recently got one secondhand and watched Amazing Spider-Man 2 for the first time.  It's such an easy fix, relative to other projects I've taken on (and then never posted here when finished, but I digress).  I'd be making something similar to Expoed's recent Reworked cut, judging from its changelist, though not quite identical and with the 3D option.

3D Blu-ray is encoded a little strange. There's a 2D h.264 video stream that's interpreted as the left eye view. In addition to that, there's an additional stream that's just what's different from the left eye view. It can't be extracted and viewed on it's own as the left eye view can, because the compression algorithm is dependent on it.

It is possible to re-encode to a 1920x1080 (or whatever resolution) side-by-side view, and then edit using that as a source.

Back
Top Bottom