• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Movies that you didn't like at first but now love

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The journey from "didn't like" to "love" is a long one. I didn't think much of Blade Runner when I first saw it. Years later I've seen it numerous times and I appreciate it a lot more, and like it a little more - but I don't love it. 

X-Men: First Class I hated - now I don't love it, but I think it's decent. 

First watch of The Godfather I thought it was just ok. Now having watched it 3 times I think it's very good. It's 10/10 for me, but I still wouldn't say I "love" it. 

When Marnie Was There has grown on me quite a bit since I first watched it. 

Rear Window I've always enjoyed, but I don't think I fully appreciated just how good it was until re-watching it again recently. 

I didn't think much of Jaws when I first saw it, but enjoyed it a lot more when watching it recently. I still think the final act is a bit lengthy though.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Into the Spiderverse, when I first saw it in theaters, I thought it was pretty good, but there was too much Spider-Man lately, I couldn't fully enjoy it. Over saturation. Now I love it, and I realize that there's no such thing as too much Spider-Man, and I want more Spider-Man.

I didn't like Blade Runner or Xmen First Class when I first saw them, like Scrib. Now I love them.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Drive - Watched it when it hit cinemas and hated it. Later in the year I went to a "vote for the best film of the year and we'll screen it" awards night type thing. I voted for The Artist, Drive won, I sighed and but I loved Drive the second time.

I'm the opposite on First Class. Loved it at first, then began to see more and more flaws and now I think it's embarrassing rubbish.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can't think of anything.  If I dislike something, I move on.  Too many things to watch and too little time to watch them with means I'm not going back to figure out what I missed the first time.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
2001: A Space Odyssey, Inherent Vice and The Big Lebowski all took multiple (at least 2 or 3) watches before I "got" them.

Now they're three of my favourite movies.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can't say I've come to "love" all these films, but my appreciation for them has risen over the years.

• 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
  • American Beauty (1999)
  • Clerks (1994)
  • Dead End (2003)
  • Donnie Darko (2001)
  • Dune (1984)
  • The Exorcist (1973)
  • Freaked (1993)
  • Hellboy (2004)
  • House (1985)
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
  • Iron Man (2008)
  • Memento (2000)
  • Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
  • The Others (2001)
  • Student Bodies (1981)
  • Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
  • Terminator Salvation (2009)
  • Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992)
  • Videodrome (1983)

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know it's flawed, but I also like Terminator Salvation. I don't think it's nearly as bad as peeps make it out to be.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Room.

30 mins in, I hated it.
90 mins in, I loved it.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Inception: While I loved the visuals of inception, but had an issue with the story at first. After a second go at it in the theater it became one of my all time favorite movies.

Anne of Green Gables/Anne of Avonlea: I loathed these movies in my early years as I had to watch them because my sister liked them. Now I love them and they sit proudly on my shelf :)

Cars: I couldn't stand Lightning McQueen so I always found a way to leave when it was on. A few years back I finally saw the ending and now Lightning McQueen is one of my favorite Pixar characters. I wouldn't say I love Cars now, in fact I think it's a very poorly paced movie, but I do like Lightning McQueen and we do have all 3 of the movies and Mater's Tales now.

Newsies: Musicals as a kid just weren't my thing. We watch this at least once or twice a year now.

Solo: I almost wanted my money back when we saw this in the theater. I couldn't see half of what was going on due to the lighting and I just didn't like a lot of it. After editing it for continual countless hours I've grown very fond of it. I don't know if I love it, but I'd definitely watch it before the prequels and sequels.

A Knights Tale: This movie came out when Heath Ledger was the love interest of every girl, or so it seemed. He was like Leonardo DiCaprio in that way so of course I couldn't stand him or the movie. Once I grew up I realized the gem this movie is.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cars is the only movie I remember walking out of the theater for. I haven't bothered to try watching it again.

I used to hate Incredibles and Little Mermaid, my father's favorite Pixar and Disney film respectively, but now I don't mind them.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
I wouldn't say I love Cars now, in fact I think it's a very poorly paced movie

Interesting, might be a good idea for a trim. How would you say the movie is poorly paced? Any idea how it can be edited to fix it?

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Odd Couple (1968) was mildly entertaining the first time I saw it, but that theme song stuck in my head, and I rewatched it and fell in love with it.

The Philadelphia Story (1940) was similar in that I found it mildly entertaining the first time around, then I wrote a paper on it and now see it as a finely tuned, focused attack on class.  It's also adorable.

Also Blade Runner.

Junglist Paja

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
DigModiFicaTion said:
I wouldn't say I love Cars now, in fact I think it's a very poorly paced movie

Interesting, might be a good idea for a trim. How would you say the movie is poorly paced? Any idea how it can be edited to fix it?

I'm curious as well

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds.

I mean when you're a kid in the 80s hearing what a masterpiece this movie is about birds attacking people you think you're in for a good ride (plus I always liked older special effects so I didn't mind that aspect). But come on, what a boring movie it was and there is not even an ending...
Now of course I see the movie differently. I also learned that "birds" in english also means girls and when you understand that the movie is more about the relationship between the female characters than the actual flying animals it makes more sens. There are some various theories about what the birds attacks mean but I just go with what I feel and that is that the birds behaviors reflect the state of mind of the characters.
I still don't love that movie but I can appreaciate it on another level. And the directing is of course very good.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I re-watched The Birds last year expecting not to like it as much, but I loved it. It remains one of my favourite Hitchcock movies. The ending is perfect.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Birds is ok but Birdemic makes The Birds look like Sharknado.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
UHF (1989)

The last time I watched UHF — which was also the first — was c. 2013; I found it annoying as hell and disliked most of it; I gave it a rating of 4.9/10. Watched it tonight, and now I really freakin' like it; I give it a solid 7/10.

Guess it just took time for my affinity for absurdist humour to ripen.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw Blade Runner in the '90s on VHS, and I thought it was just OK. It might have even been the theatrical cut with that awful narration. I then caught the tail end of the director's cut (?) on TV, with its much more powerful ending, and I finally got the hype. Plus, I began to see how movies and shows I love, such as Back to the Future Part II, The Fifth Element and Firefly, borrow so heavily from the visuals in that movie. Gotta give credit where it's due. 

I didn't like Return to Oz at all when I first saw it, but I watched it again a couple of weeks ago; while it's still not a masterpiece, it's perfectly fine. This time I didn't expect it to live up to the 1939 musical, and I was able to see it as a worthy entry in the dark action/fantasy movies of the 1980s (including The NeverEnding Story, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Ladyhawke, etc.).

When I first saw Primer, it went completely over my head, and immediately upon finishing, I declared it one of the worst movies I had ever seen. My wife got it better than I did, though, and after a lengthy discussion about it, it sunk in. Now I highly recommend it to fans of time-travel movies.

Top Bottom