• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Wonder Woman 1984

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
B4SMYoCCYAEQ2Cf.jpg

I'm not 100% sold on the new costume design yet but kudos for that crazy poster.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I'm not 100% sold on the new costume design yet

It's presumably part of her Golden Eagle armor from the comics. Although she doesn't have them in the poster, she'll probably wear the wings at some point in the movie.

3129475-1943723-battlearmor_002.jpg

The Golden Eagle armor was first introduced in Alex Ross' "Kingdom Come". It was designed for all-out war, so Diana only puts it on when things get particularly desperate. It resists bullets, bombs, etc, and (when she wears the wings with it) enables her to fly.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
When I first saw the thread title i thought this would be about the Wonder Woman movie that came out in 1984 that doesn't exist.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
When I first saw the thread title i thought this would be about the Wonder Woman movie that came out in 1984 that doesn't exist.

You've obviously never visited Earth-84.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
First trailer has dropped....

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:

That looks awesome!!!

source.gif

That version of 'Blue Monday' is so cool. I had one of those watches :D . Looks like the "fish outta water" element that worked so well in the first film is going to flip over to Pine in this one. Loved all the political satire too.

Time to watch it again.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That theme is epic. The trailer makes me excited but also a little worried for what seem to be some more cheesy aspects. Hopefully I'm wrong and this is as good as the first which I absolutely LOVED!

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looked as good as the recent marvel outings. I am curious to see a bit more of Wiig's character. Maybe they'll pull a similar thing as they did with SvB with a certain character.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Looked as good as the recent marvel outings. 

That is exactly what makes me fear, but I have faith in Patty Jenkins.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
bionicbob said:

That looks awesome!!!

source.gif

That version of 'Blue Monday' is so cool. I had one of those watches :D . Looks like the "fish outta water" element that worked so well in the first film is going to flip over to Pine in this one. Loved all the political satire too.

Time to watch it again.

Dum dum me has missed the political satire, could you elaborate?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
Dum dum me has missed the political satire, could you elaborate?

The whole look, conman attitude and coiffed haircut of what I assume to be a villain and Reagan-era businessman. A wall dividing somewhere getting blown up. The line "nothing good is born from lies... and greatness is not what you think" and I believe it depicts a fight in the White House for some reason. That's just the vibe I'm getting, I might be wrong but let's not get into discussing actual politics here.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, that was... weird. And an apparent total match with the Birds of Prey preview - all hyper-saturated flash, no hint of story. At least Pedro Pascal always classes up comic book action movie seque - ohhhh, hmmmmm.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Exhibit A: This movie is set in 1984 and features Wonder Woman swinging from lightning-bolts by her lasso.

Exhibit B: The following song was released in 1984:

Coincidence?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The guy who did the trailer music:

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Am I the only one who continues to follow how much Chris Evan's Chris Pine's story is copied from Captain America?

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
Am I the only one who continues to follow how much Chris Evan's Chris Pine's story is copied from Captain America?

I noticed pretty quickly that "Wonder Woman" (2017) was heavily influenced by "Captain America: The First Avenger".

They both feature a team of two villains (one which is the boss, the other of which is more sympathetic and is a scientist who develops the weapons that the boss uses) who work for a secret super-science division of the German army during a world war. In "Captain America", it's the Red Skull and Arnim Zola, in "Wonder Woman", it's Ludendorff and Doctor Poison. In both movies, the boss uses advanced weaponry to kill officers of the standard German army who are interfering with his plans (Red Skull shoots some Nazi officers with a ray gun, Ludendorff gases some German officers).

In both movies, the heroes want to go on a certain mission, but are forbidden from doing so (in "Captain America", it's to rescue Bucky, in "Wonder Woman" it's to pursue Ludendorff). In both movies, they secretly decide to go on the mission anyway, aided by a famous, powerful mustachioed man (Howard Stark in "Captain America", Sir Patrick in "Wonder Woman"). In both movies, the main hero does something that everyone assumes will get him or her killed in order to save people who are being held hostage by the German villains for slave labor and/or scientific experimentation (in "Captain America", Steve crosses enemy lines to rescue Bucky and other soldiers who are held captive as guinea pigs, while in "Wonder Woman", Diana charges into No Man's Land to save villagers who are being held captive as slave labor and guinea pigs), but wind up saving the day instead and fully becoming the iconic hero they are meant to be for the first time. After their respective first heroic outings, both heroes are congratulated by a crowd of grateful rescuees who surround them.

In both movies, the most prominent male character is a blond-haired American soldier named Steve, played by an actor named Chris (Evans in "Captain America", Pine in "Wonder Woman"). (Granted, these similarities are coincidental, as both Steves are from the comics and the similarity in actors' names is also a coincidence.) In both movies, Steve assembles a multi-national, multi-ethnic team of commandos. In both movies, he recruits them in a bar.

Both movies even feature climaxes in which Steve fights his way onto an enemy plane that contains a top-secret German superweapon, and upon finding out that the weapon is on a timer set to automatically go off, sacrifices himself to destroy the plane, while the most prominent female character (a non-American brunette in both cases) mourns his demise and calls out his name (Steve). They both feature post-war scenes in which crowds wave British flags and the female lead looks at a photo of Steve and mourns him. They also are both bookended by modern-day scenes.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nailed it, boss.  And then the sequels both skip ahead decades, where the hero(ine) finds that someone they thought was dead has somehow miraculously popped up in this time, too.  In this case, both Steves become men-out-of-time, wandering around taking in all the new things that they have to get used to.  I'm waiting to see if future trailers reveal the film is actually going to depart from this or if they'll keep cribbing from Marvel's success.  If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Superhero movies that follow a cookie cutter template!?

61bri%2BYNDjL._AC_SL1010_.jpg

Top Bottom