If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance
(05-21-2019, 04:55 PM)addiesin Wrote: and apparently according to video comments the director is really against using CGI on it.

Yeah I don't know where that came from, but the newer trailer certainly has CGI. Luckily it doesn't look overdone.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// IdeasIdea Central //
Hopefully they'll release this on physical media.
(06-01-2019, 11:17 AM)TomH1138 Wrote: The movie also unfortunately had too little plot and paper-thin characters.* 

I guess I would agree with you if the movie would be released today. I personally have seen enough "prophecy" stories in movies. I can't stand "prophecy" stories anymore. Did I mention how I'm bored with "Prophecy" stories? But as a kid, in theater in 1982 it was just amazing. It was also back in the day when most movies were 1h30 (specialy kids movies). Now we're accustomed to long movies and TV-Series relating one long big story with all the time in the world to create deep characters. As a 1h30 movie introducing a whole new world with plenty of characters I think the Dark Crystal is pretty good. You understand the spirit of every major characters in no time. The scene when Jen and Kira are sharing their past memories for example is very well done. You understand the actions of the bad guys and at the very end bad guys and good guys become one! It's pretty daring for a kids movie.
"Always in motion is the future"
My instagramMy BLog - All my fanedits at IFDB - Q&A with TMBTM (from 2012) 
This came out Friday. I just watched the first episode, but I can't say I'm impressed. It already seems to be suffering from the same problems as it's predecessor, which is a generic plot and poor characterisation. Visually it's mostly well done, but still not to my taste (who's idea was it to use shaky cam and lense flare?).

Also, not that I'm a mega fan of the original or anything, but I'm pretty sure it already conflicts with the mythology:

Aren't the skeksis and the mystics one and the same? Both born out of the crystal cracking, which this whole series is a prelude to? I don't see how that adds up.
"I live in the Tower of Flints. I am the death-owl."

COMPLETED: IFDB
ITW: Lord of The Zep ~ The Thing From 1951
IDEAS: Thread ~ B+ Movie Series ~ Anatomy of a Shrinking Man ~ Avatar: TLA (TV-Movie Project)
Having watched the entire season, I've found the characters more well-rounded than their film counterparts. YMMV.
"Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be."

Bhagavad Gita 2:12
(09-01-2019, 02:59 PM)The Scribbling Man Wrote: This came out Friday. I just watched the first episode, but I can't say I'm impressed. It already seems to be suffering from the same problems as it's predecessor, which is a generic plot and poor characterisation. Visually it's mostly well done, but still not to my taste (who's idea was it to use shaky cam and lense flare?).

Also, not that I'm a mega fan of the original or anything, but I'm pretty sure it already conflicts with the mythology:

Aren't the skeksis and the mystics one and the same? Both born out of the crystal cracking, which this whole series is a prelude to? I don't see how that adds up.

I just watched the first episode.

I think the crystal is already cracked before the show begins. Not 100% on that yet though.

Edit:

Confirmed in later episode.
// IdeasIdea Central //
[+] 1 user Likes addiesin's post
For details on how the Skeksis and Mystics split from the urSkek, you should check out The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths.
[Image: 51ldm43he2L._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes asterixsmeagol's post
^^^ I feel like that would have been the more interesting story to explore in the series...

Watched 5 episodes now and I am quite enjoying it. There are many things I'm not keen on, but it's grown on me considerably.

The rock monster is a wonderfully inventive design. I love how it's hand is like a stylus and it speaks by running it along the grooves in it's arms.

IDEAS: Thread ~ B+ Movie Series ~ Anatomy of a Shrinking Man ~ Avatar: TLA (TV-Movie Project)
Suprise, suprise... The Dark Crystal gets dark. Pretty bleak stuff, ain't it?

I have 2 episodes left. It's grown on me quite a bit, and I'm enjoying it. There are definitely elements that have been a bit rushed though, and the Skeksis voices can really grate on the ears after a while.

There is a lot of CGI. At times I think it goes a bit far, but more often than not its been really well integrated. I wish practical and CG FX would to work together more frequently in modern productions.

[+] 1 user Likes The Scribbling Man's post
(09-07-2019, 05:39 AM)The Scribbling Man Wrote: Suprise, suprise... The Dark Crystal gets dark. Pretty bleak stuff, ain't it?

I love that about the series. I was concerned Helen Lovejoy Syndrome would taint the production, but TPTB appear to have recognized that children have spines and don't need to be sheltered from any and all expressions of the macabre.
"Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be."

Bhagavad Gita 2:12