• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Avid & frameserving

TeresofBlood

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
All of my problems with strobing picture etc all stem from adobe premiere. It's tools are user friendly but it's a bitch. I FINALLY figured out a way to edit with Avid, but I have some questions.

I want to create an AVI file with virtual dub and edit the avi with avid. Punisher extended cut is about 250 gigs but I have 3 hard drives and one is a brand new 350 gigger.

I have 2 questions... first of all I can't get virtual dubs frameserver to work and I was wondering, if I frameserve a file, can it be edited that way?

I had the idea to frame serve the video file and import it into my editor. As long as the file is served, I can edit, and when the file is not served, I'd be left with an EDL essentially. Anyway, so does anyone know of a frameserver in which the signpost can be imported into an editor?

EDIT: I've tested straight AVIs and it looks good and works, but it's too intense on my hard drive. So the final question is: is there any program that will frameserve to Avid Xpress or just convert the MPEG to DV or AVI without a massive quality loss?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am usuallly working with mpeg only.
Are you trying to work with uncompressed avi (the 250GB file)? I have tried that, but it was definitely no gain to quality and it gave me artifact and interlace problems.
to get the framserver of virtual dub to work you ned to start the aux file and install the handler (don't forget to uninstall later on.
I would not recommend editing a frameserved avi...

this all sounds rather difficult and unsatisfying for you.

Sprug's decapitated head

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh my GOD :shock: , why on Earth are AVI files so huge?! (I only work with MPEG-2's; i have no AVI knowledge whatsoever).

TeresofBlood

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I created an MPG file using DVD decrypter, PGCDemux and Imago... imported it into adobe and i have the same probelms as before, so it's just the program that sucks.

Okay, if I can't to that, is there a way to save an EDL if editing with virtual dub? From what I can see, there's no way to save a project without creating an AVI file. Does anybody know.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I still don't quite get what you say, T.
As for the first steps:
DVD Decrypter (I use AnyDVD now for that)
PGCDemux (best tool of all to get the whole contents of a DVD including menus)
Imago (I use TMPGXpress because Imago does not multiplex with wave, only with ac3)
this is exactly what I do.
You then load the multiplexed movie into Virtual Dub Mpeg-2, which can be used as very basic editor to make cuts, blend scenes in or out and stuff.
But you don't save to avi then, you frameserve to CCE or TMPGenc, so you get the edited m2v video and the edited (and very rough audio).
You need to install the handler first to get virtual dub to frameserve. i am not sure how the cuts can be saved, because I have never used virtual dub as editor for a DVD movie. I suspect you need to do it all in one go (which I would never do, because you would lose too much time if there is any error at all).
Even Cuttermaran does a better editing job and can save the editing points.

TeresofBlood

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hmm. Ima play a little bit. Perhaps what I should be doing is frameserving w/ Virtual Dub into an encoder and encode in the highest quality format supported by Avid - perhaps quicktime.

Now that Adobe has screwed me and I've wasted 350 dollars on a license for it, I realize that there's a reason that Avid is the industry standard! Screw adobe!

Anyway, I'm gonna try to goof around with it at work todat and see what kind of results I get.

EDIT: Why is it necessary to remove the virtualdub frameserve files from the registry? What does it do/ what problems can it cause?

ReverendBeastly

Reaction score
Trophy Points
To be fair, Premiere only sucks when it's trying to work with MPEG files, which it's not natively designed to do. A third party plugin not functioning well isn't really grounds to say everything else in the program "sucks" when it actually works quite well.

TeresofBlood

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
HOLY SHIT!!!! It may be possible that the frameserving files, which I installed long ago and never uninstalled is what was causing the problem with my adobe premiere. I'm at work and I'm accessing my premiere through log me in and the picture isn't stuttering. I just did a test export of a few minutes of FvsJ and they don't appear to stutter.

Is it likely that virtualdub's registry files caused it? I won't be sure until I get home tonight, but damnit, I'm looking forward to it.

Top Bottom