• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Streets of Fear collection

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I bought a DVD set at my local Family Dollar titled "Streets of Fear".
The only information given is a list of names (a mix of some actors and directors), and a list of film titles. The set comes with four discs, with twenty different films.
As I read the list, I looked up each film on Wikipedia, and found that they are all movies from the 30s, 40s, and 50s, all noir/thriller/mystery.

Here I will watch each film in order that they appear on the discs, and post a review for each one. I might also post a link to watch each film, as they all seem to be public domain.

Here's the full list:
Bulldog Drummond Comes Back
Cause For Alarm!
The Chase
D.O.A.
Detour
Dick Tracy Meets Gruesome
Dressed to Kill
Fear in the Night
The Green Glove
He Walked by Night
Mr. Moto's Last Warning
The Mystery of Mr. Wong
Please Murder Me! 
Scarlet Street
The Strange Love of Martha Ivers
The Stranger
Suddenly
Too Late for Tears
Trapped
Woman on the Run

(this is how they are listed on the case, but apparently they're a different order on the discs)

Bulldog Drummond Comes Back - 1937

Bulldog Drummond is apparently a literary character who has appeared in numerous books, movies, plays, comics, and whatever else. This is the 11th film with the character.
Hugh "Bulldog" Drummond is, according to Wikipedia, a WW1 veteran who got bored and put out an ad looking for an adventure, sparking his career as a "gentleman adventurer". Bulldog Drummond Comes Back is probably not the best the best film in the series to start with, but it works stand alone at least. 
In this particular film, Hugh's fiance, Phyllis, is kidnapped by a woman who's husband died a year prior due to Drummond, and her brother. The woman tells Drummond that she could shoot him, but that would be too easy. Instead, she delivers a series of riddles, taking him from place to place, to eventually be reunited with Phyllis. Accompanying Drummond is his butler Tenny, and his friend Allgy, who are somewhat used for comic relief. Meanwhile, his other friend, a colonel working for the Scotland Yard, is following Drummond in disguise because he thinks Drummond will need his help or something.
I'll be honest, the sound quality is very poor, which is to be expected, but there's also no subtitles. I missed a lot of dialogue because I couldn't hear it. I don't think I missed anything too important though. 
The film clocks in at an hour and four minutes, and is well paced. The whole thing almost felt like a James Bond film in some ways, such as the villain. 
I liked Bulldog Drummond Comes Back, but I garuntee the other films and books are better. With that, I do not recommend this movie. There isn't anything inherently bad, there's just not a lot going on. It's not boring, and is funny at times, but it's not memorable, and the plot is hard to follow due to the poor quality.

Bulldog Drummond Comes Back - 1937

Bulldog Drummond is apparently a literary character who has appeared in numerous books, movies, plays, comics, and whatever else. This is the 11th film with the character.
Hugh "Bulldog" Drummond is, according to Wikipedia, a WW1 veteran who got bored and put out an ad looking for an adventure, sparking his career as a "gentleman adventurer". Bulldog Drummond Comes Back is probably not the best the best film in the series to start with, but it works stand alone at least.
In this particular film, Hugh's fiance, Phyllis, is kidnapped by a woman who's husband died a year prior due to Drummond, and her brother. The woman tells Drummond that she could shoot him, but that would be too easy. Instead, she delivers a series of riddles, taking him from place to place, to eventually be reunited with Phyllis. Accompanying Drummond is his butler Tenny, and his friend Allgy, who are somewhat used for comic relief. Meanwhile, his other friend, a colonel working for the Scotland Yard, is following Drummond in disguise because he thinks Drummond will need his help or something.
I'll be honest, the sound quality is very poor, which is to be expected, but there's also no subtitles. I missed a lot of dialogue because I couldn't hear it. I don't think I missed anything too important though.
The film clocks in at an hour and four minutes, and is well paced. The whole thing almost felt like a James Bond film in some ways, such as the villain.
I liked Bulldog Drummond Comes Back, but I garuntee the other films and books are better. With that, I do not recommend this movie. There isn't anything inherently bad, there's just not a lot going on. It's not boring, and is funny at times, but it's not memorable, and the plot is hard to follow due to the poor quality.
It's hard to imagine that there was a time when I actually took a review seriously and put in effort.

I still have this collection, one of these days I'll watch the other 19 films. As time goes on, I increasingly rely on subtitles, so we'll see how well that works out.

Back
Top Bottom