• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Unreal Engine 4 Video Creation

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
While I've known about the Unreal Engine for some time, I've never really considered it to be a video creation tool. Then this video blew me away. I'm pretty harsh on cg, but these environments were rendered in real time and they're photorealistic. The potential for creating new environment shots and/or green screen scenes for edits or fanfilms is incredible.

Here's another amazing scene created for a galaxy far, far away....

The awesome thing is that the Unreal Engine 4 is completely free.
https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/

Now a pc that can run this.....that's an entirely different financial dent ;)

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
While I've known about the Unreal Engine for some time, I've never really considered it to be a video creation tool. 

As soon as I first saw some videos demonstrating its capabilities about a year ago, the potential for using to make movie/video special effects is the first thing that I thought of.

It can also do amazing things with motion capture and CG characters. Here are some samples:

Then this video blew me away. I'm pretty harsh on cg, but these environments were rendered in real time and they're photorealistic. The potential for creating new environment shots and/or green screen scenes for edits or fanfilms is incredible.

And imagine how amazingly real the results of this technology could look with a film emulation LUT and some grain applied on top. It could look not only photoreal, but downright analog.

The awesome thing is that the Unreal Engine 4 is completely free.
https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/

While the software itself is free, they charge a 5% royalty fee for any commercially-released project made using it. It sounds like they don't charge for non-profit projects like fan-films, though.

Now a pc that can run this.....that's an entirely different financial dent  ;)

Does your computer have the necessary specifications? Unfortunately, mine comes nowhere close.

iridium_ionizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
While I've known about the Unreal Engine for some time, I've never really considered it to be a video creation tool. Then this video blew me away. I'm pretty harsh on cg, but these environments were rendered in real time and they're photorealistic. The potential for creating new environment shots and/or green screen scenes for edits or fanfilms is incredible.

There is still the uncanny valley for close ups of human characters, but when obscured by shadows or distance I would say it would be difficult to tell in a fanedit (assuming color, lighting, and framerates matched up). For aliens (with good models and animation), robots, vehicles, and vegetation I would say that you are good to go. With familiar animals it probably depends on how well they are modeled and integrated into the scene.

Of course there are a lot of things that give away poor CGI integration. Someone has probably mentioned it in another thread, but Corridor Crew has recently been putting out pretty detailed analyses of what makes or breaks CGI in movies (hint: eyelines, lighting, touching, face-wrinkles / skin stretching, rendered motion blur, etc.).

Top Bottom