• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Joker (2019)

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Joaquin Phoenix is starring in an upcoming Joker origin story directed by Todd Phillips. The first teaser trailer was recently released.

Junglist Paja

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Like I said in the 2019 movies thread. 

Junglist Paja said:
Love the teaser, not a big of the teal though

A fan poster I saw a while ago.

DnjRKRKU8AAcT8R.jpg

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ This is the Joker thread, take that discussion to the Oker thread.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I put a little oker on that Joker ;)
7CK4OV1l.jpg

Junglist Paja

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wrote down some alternate titles for no reason.

Gotham Psycho
A Dangerous Smile
Breaking Oker

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm super psyched to see this bad boy. Joaquin P is my man, the coolest thespian of our times, he adds nuance to his craziness. Say what you will about director Todd Phillips, I've seen all of his films, I'm not a hater but I was surprised when this was announced. If the director of "Dumb & Dumber" can beat out the director of "Anchorman" for Best Picture, then I guess it's possible that the director of "Road Trip" can make a great Joker movie.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks better than anything DCEU.

That's good!

Looks like a Nolanverse Joker origin story.

That's bad.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
Looks better than anything DCEU.

That's good!

Looks like a Nolanverse Joker origin story.

That's bad.

But it comes with a free Frogurt!

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I give zero shits about any of the comic universe, but this looks really cool.

Collipso

Reaction score
Trophy Points
yeah i couldn't care less for superhero films now, which is great. this looks like an anti-superherofilm, if it means anything. i think it'll be neat though. certainly looks great.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really hope the marketing is misleading and this is more than a Taxi Driver remake dressed up in superhero clothes.

Collipso

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I really hope the marketing is misleading and this is more than a Taxi Driver remake dressed up in superhero clothes.

while i agree that it shouldn't be a remake, similarities are inevitable... both films are heavily focused on their main characters, and both happen to be psychologically deranged. but honestly i don't think it'll go any further than that.

Plissken1138

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
oh, rupert pupkin, you've come a long way in this world :p

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saw this earlier today and was severely disappointed. This review sums up a lot of my feelings (contains implications of spoilers):

To add my own further thoughts:

So, the whole thing about how this movie claims that "society" is what creates this version of the Joker, that's really not the case. If anything, the prevalence of so many Joker Protestors in the movie show that a lot of people would be more than willing to align themselves with what A. Fleck seemingly stands for, i.e., dissatisfaction with the rich and society as a whole. With that in mind, wouldn't this movie be so much better if A. Fleck ran for Mayor in opposition of Thomas Wayne AS The Joker? Think of this cover, only less overt.
61TUfZPNQ4L.jpg

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Loved it. 8/10 for me, which is really good. Dark Knight is a 9/10, for perspective.

When this movie was announced, I was not a fan of it. I was of the [naive] belief that they should just stop trying the Joker, which [obviously] doesn’t make sense financially or marketing-wise. He’s a huge character, they’re gonna use him. Then, when the trailer/promo material came out: still doubtful. Intrigued, but doubtful. Pretty much kept this opinion until today. I believed that Joaquin Phoenix’ performance would be amazing regardless, but the movie would be bad-to-okay. Still, I was thrilled to see it, but I didn’t have high hopes, just high interest. Very glad I didn’t, because it made the movie all the more delightful.
Few things. (Spoilers ahead) 
  • Love the cinematography. Not just the framing, shot choices, lighting, and blocking of the scenes; but the actual lens itself is amazing, and the colour tone is perfect.
  • DeNiro seemed like he was enjoying this movie. Him happy and involved made me happy and involved.
  • I watched a review saying that his dancing was annoying/too frequent: I strongly disagree. It was funny to watch, added to the strangeness, and the accompaniment of the score made it worthwhile regardless.
  • Anyone else count seven shots in the subway? He shoots each guy once in the train, shoots the guy once as he’s running away, then three more times to finish him off. My dad and I both thought this had to be intentional when it first happened - it’s a very common thing to show we are in the perspective of an unreliable narrator (as per American Psycho). But that scene seems to be fully accurate throughout the rest of the film. Not sure if it was a sloppy moment of direction (or whoever is in charges of counting bullets...), or an actual nod to something.
  • Bruce going down the “bat pole” was awesome.
  • Love how every movie set in Gotham just disregards “normal people” in terms of crime/societal norms.
  • I only wish the credits rolled directly after the car dancing scene. Keep the laugh (how could ya not), but the hospital portion was unnecessary and I think the car dancing left things more open. Luckily they left it open enough anyways, but as soon as it faded to black, I feared there was more to come.

But, ho-ly shit. That was a film. I don’t know how to put it into words, but the quality and direction of this movie puts it in that special “film” tier for me.

stferguson78

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
macmilln said:
Loved it. 8/10 for me, which is really good. Dark Knight is a 9/10, for perspective.

When this movie was announced, I was not a fan of it. I was of the [naive] belief that they should just stop trying the Joker, which [obviously] doesn’t make sense financially or marketing-wise. He’s a huge character, they’re gonna use him. Then, when the trailer/promo material came out: still doubtful. Intrigued, but doubtful. Pretty much kept this opinion until today. I believed that Joaquin Phoenix’ performance would be amazing regardless, but the movie would be bad-to-okay. Still, I was thrilled to see it, but I didn’t have high hopes, just high interest. Very glad I didn’t, because it made the movie all the more delightful.
Few things. (Spoilers ahead) 
  • Love the cinematography. Not just the framing, shot choices, lighting, and blocking of the scenes; but the actual lens itself is amazing, and the colour tone is perfect.
  • DeNiro seemed like he was enjoying this movie. Him happy and involved made me happy and involved.
  • I watched a review saying that his dancing was annoying/too frequent: I strongly disagree. It was funny to watch, added to the strangeness, and the accompaniment of the score made it worthwhile regardless.
  • Anyone else count seven shots in the subway? He shoots each guy once in the train, shoots the guy once as he’s running away, then three more times to finish him off. My dad and I both thought this had to be intentional when it first happened - it’s a very common thing to show we are in the perspective of an unreliable narrator (as per American Psycho). But that scene seems to be fully accurate throughout the rest of the film. Not sure if it was a sloppy moment of direction (or whoever is in charges of counting bullets...), or an actual nod to something.
  • Bruce going down the “bat pole” was awesome.
  • Love how every movie set in Gotham just disregards “normal people” in terms of crime/societal norms.
  • I only wish the credits rolled directly after the car dancing scene. Keep the laugh (how could ya not), but the hospital portion was unnecessary and I think the car dancing left things more open. Luckily they left it open enough anyways, but as soon as it faded to black, I feared there was more to come.

But, ho-ly shit. That was a film. I don’t know how to put it into words, but the quality and direction of this movie puts it in that special “film” tier for me.

Find myself agreeing with this, despite being extremely sceptical beforehand. Phoenix is incredible!!

Top Bottom