• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Disney is solely responsible for this whole drama with Spider-Man, not only by demanding a ridiculously imbalanced contract, this goes back further:

Disney's Mickey Mouse Law had the effect of extending the length of copyright protection far beyond what is reasonable. Had Disney not fought this legal battle, Spider-Man would have entered the Public Domain on the 1st January 2019.

There are so many layers to how terrible a company Disney is.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
Disney is solely responsible for this whole drama with Spider-Man, not only by demanding a ridiculously imbalanced contract, this goes back further:

Disney's Mickey Mouse Law had the effect of extending the length of copyright protection far beyond what is reasonable. Had Disney not fought this legal battle, Spider-Man would have entered the Public Domain on the 1st January 2019.

There are so many layers to how terrible a company Disney is.

Time for the non-violent revolution.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
Time for the non-violent revolution.

1d435a087f8fe4f6e5e78a1b8415869f.jpg

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I for one welcome the great Spider-Man revolution of 2019
spider-punk.jpg

tumblr_njl0ooVCFl1r7hjkqo4_500.jpg
cb17b187099b8fd078c96843782b2eb9.jpg

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, got bored the past few days and made a tier list of all the MCU movies. This is my third draft of it, and if anyone wants to discuss the rankings, I'd be more than happy to.
MCU_Tier_List_Finished-min.png

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
@Nic I'm interested to know what you liked so much about Far From Home that you felt was missing from Homecoming.

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
@Nic I'm interested to know what you liked so much about Far From Home that you felt was missing from Homecoming.

Happy to explain.

First off, the fact that the creative team just seemed to scrub away nearly everything unique about Spider-Man (aside from character names, the costume, and the power set) and just made this an Iron Lad movie was really off-putting. As a story on its own merits, Homecoming really came off to me as this privileged kid whining about he doesn't get to go to Harvard University, despite the fact that he can literally go to any other school of his choice. Honestly, this is what Peter starts coming off as while the movie goes on:

Conversely, Far From Home has a lot more relatable themes: feeling like the weight of the world is on your shoulders, the pressure of living up to people's idea of you, constantly comparing yourself to someone you believe is better than you, wanting to have some sense of control over your life. This goes a long way in making me empathize with Peter's plight (see also, Into the Spider-Verse, which actually lets Spider-Man BE Spider-Man and not Iron Lad!). It let me walk out of the theater going "now that's more like it!" It's actually in my top 5 favorite Spider-Man movies now (behing 1, PS4, Spider-Verse, and 2).

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"Nic" You nailed it, that is exactly how I feel about Homecoming and Far From Home!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Marvel and Sony kissed and made up!
Will produce third Spider-man together.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It was probably just a show of strength on Sony's part so they could get a better deal.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hollywood is simply training us not to believe anything they say. :)

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Hollywood is simply training us not to believe anything they say. :)

...Or like anything they put out

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:

Well, that's the second-best piece of news I've heard all week, after the hoopla from Washington, DC! (By which I mean, my buddy who lives there found a new favorite brewpub in Adams Morgan.) :D

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:

Damn, now I have to care about the MCU going forward. ;)

Jokes aside, this is fantastic news! Far from Home's ending deserved a proper follow-up. Here's hoping that, between Spidey 3 and the future MCU movie Spidey is now contracted to appear in, they'll close out his arc so that it doesn't feel incomplete as it would have been if FFH had been the "end" of it. While leaving the door open for additional continuances of the Sony/Marvel deal, of course - Holland's Spidey should be around and part of the MCU as long as Holland is willing to keep playing him. I just don't want an unresolved cliffhanger in the middle of a multi-franchise story arc.

Feige's wording in the Variety article seems to imply that he's allowing Holland's Spidey to appear in non-MCU Sony spinoffs now, too, something that was probably a big point of contention in these negotiations (and tacitly makes those movies pseudo-MCU now)...

So, who's making an MCU-friendly Venom fan edit? I would, but I'd have to buy the movie first. Maybe...

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ending at FFH would’ve been hilarious. That cliffhanger would just mean “yeah he died/quit immediately.”

But yeah, I think we all knew they’d make up, right?

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was sure they would at first, then less sure the longer it dragged on.

I also definitely don't think this deal will be the last of Spidey in the MCU, I think they're just going to treat it on a case by case basis from now on - make a new deal for one Spidey movie and one Spidey appearance in another MCU movie, then renegotiate after both of those are up.

This means they probably shouldn't commit to any long-running story arcs for Spidey after this unless they decide to make a longer-term deal, though.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I'm breathing a sigh of relief at this news! Sony had trouble for a long time without Feige and co. Sure, Spider-Verse was great, but that was the first one to really get Spider-Man right after Sony made 5 attempts on their own, and notably after they had Homecoming as a probable influence on how to proceed. 

Both deals that were previously presented to the public were unreasonable, IMO. I'm glad they worked something out, because Spider-Man has never been better than he's been since 2016.

Here's an article from Variety about it:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/...KzF-Ih5FdvIKsMfoJfejXmx9U_8IFrPIth5WDkKAST2NM

I'm surprised they said only one other future MCU film, but as ChainsawAsh noted, they'll probably keep re-negotiating after each round. Rumors were heavy that Peter might show up in Captain Marvel II, which is unsurprising considering that 

he seemed to have a crush on Carol when they briefly met in Endgame,

but I have a hunch that Feige will want to use him in another Avengers movie, once they finally announce one. (Considering how much money Endgame made, I'm surprised it's taken them this long with still no official new big team-up movie announced. Sure, Endgame was a satisfying wrap-up, and I think it's nice to take a little break before gearing up for the next big event, but that's thinking like a viewer, not like a studio mogul whose latest team-up movie broke all the box office records.)

Problem Eliminator

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It’s too bad all these movies are being delayed. I was really looking forward to The Penultimates but I guess we’ll have to wait till 2024.

Top Bottom