• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Marvel Cinematic Universe

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Marvel announced its new slate of upcoming films at San Diego Comic Con this weekend:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/mov...s-coming-out-of-hall-h-at-san-diego-comic-con

Focusing attention mainly on the movies, with only mentions of TV series that get my attention:

First up in the next wave is Black Widow in May 2020, which isn't a surprise since the movie has been filming for some time. Maybe that's why Feige chose to hold off on mentioning it until nearly the end, although that weirdly makes it the only one not in chronological order on this list.

Next is Eternals in Nov. 2020, again a little unsurprising since we've been hearing development news for some time on this. It is a bit more surprising that they aren't moving faster on characters needing sequels, such as the next Doctor Strange, which won't show up until May 2021. (Shang-Chi, a character I haven't heard of, shows up in his debut outing between these two films.)

Speaking of Strange, it's surprising that Wanda will be in his sequel film, only because her streaming series WandaVision will debut just a month or two ahead of that. Usually there's a longer buffer time in between appearances of the characters. I like Wanda just fine, though, so it's not a complaint, just an observation.

While we're talking about streaming, I'm really intrigued by the animated What If? series. I'm not sure how long an anthology series will hold general audiences' attention, but I'm always interested in parallel-universe fiction, particularly after Into the Spider-Verse. The first episode has been reported elsewhere as being "What if Peggy Carter got the Super Soldier Serum instead of Steve Rogers?" As someone who misses Agent Carter, count me in!

The news on the fourth Thor continues to be astonishing, first because Natalie Portman returns to the series (I thought she was missing from Ragnarok because she didn't want to be involved anymore), but second because she's going to be the new Thor! Jane Foster (Portman's character) did take a stint as the title character in the comics, but considering Portman's aforementioned lack of involvement and also considering how successful Ragnarok was, I didn't think Marvel would go in such a different direction. Well, consider me intrigued!

Last up (and the only one with no date) is the reboot of Blade, which -- despite recent rumors -- doesn't seem to have anything to do with Wesley Snipes. I do wonder if fans of the original R-rated movie will accept a likely PG-13 version of the character. (I didn't see the earlier movies, so I don't have a strong opinion on this.) Nonetheless, Marvel has rarely gone wrong when introducing new characters, so I'm sure they'll figure something out.

The biggest jaw-dropper of the whole announcement is not what's been included but what's been excluded. Where on earth is Black Panther 2? My family is MCU'd out, so I still haven't seen Endgame, but even if T'Challa didn't get "unsnapped" and even if all of Wakanda burned to the ground (both of which seem really unlikely to me), Marvel is going to make another Black Panther movie. The last one made so much money at the box office, it beat Infinity War!  Even if they had to bring in someone new to fill the mantle, I'm sure they'll do it. So why isn't this on their release slate? Perhaps the difficulty lay in coordinating all of the actors' schedule, along with the director, as they must be very much in demand right now.

Also surprisingly excluded are the X-Men and the Fantastic Four. Feige said we'd have to wait a while before the next installments of each, but I figured they'd be in the new timeline even if they were at the very end of it. Oh, well. They do need to take their time and do it right.

Spider-Man is also missing, which suggests to me that it'll be released just after this new wave in 2022.

Anyway, lots of interesting tidbits to chew on. It'll be exciting to see how it all plays out!

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
While we're talking about streaming, I'm really intrigued by the animated What If? series. I'm not sure how long an anthology series will hold general audiences' attention, but I'm always interested in parallel-universe fiction, particularly after Into the Spider-Verse. The first episode has been reported elsewhere as being "What if Peggy Carter got the Super Soldier Serum instead of Steve Rogers?" As someone who misses Agent Carter, count me in!

WE MUST IMMEDIATELY DEMAND THIS EPISODE BE LIVE-ACTION

DXKgd-Ys-VQAEK059.jpg

45c438e85881055072878d95593b6059.jpg

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Marvel announced its new slate of upcoming films at San Diego Comic Con this weekend:

(Shang-Chi, a character I haven't heard of, shows up in his debut outing between these two films.)

Anyway, lots of interesting tidbits to chew on. It'll be exciting to see how it all plays out!

Definitely an exciting slate of projects!  Of course as we know things can change.... INHUMANS THE MOVIE, GUARDIANS VOL 3...

I secretly hope they will end Phase 4 with the Fantastic Four.... but I am willing to wait for them to get it right.

Of all the announcements, SHANG-CHI AND THE LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS is the one I am most interested in...

Used to love the comic in 70s.   The martial arts movie craze was huge, allong with David Carradine's Kung Fu tv series, thus to cash in, Marvel created their own kung fu Bruce Lee styled hero, Shang-Chi, son of the evil Fu Manchu.  A great series, now available in collected trades, well worth revisiting.

Plus, it will interesting how this movie will course correct The Mandarin after Iron Man 3, and make him a villain he deserves to be rather than the comedic imitator we got.  I assume Mandarin is replacing Fu Manchu???

And finally, the casting of Simu Liu is awesome!  Firstly, he is Canadian!!!   And secondly, he stars in my current favourite tv comedy, KIMS CONVENIENCE.  A very charismatic actor with great comedic timing.  I think he will make a great Shang-Chi. :D

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good to know! Thanks for the information about Shang-Chi. I admit that was a part of Marvel's history I hadn't heard of until now.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You knew it was too good to last....

Spider-man no longer part of the MCU.

Greed strikes again.  :mad:

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Variety is painting it as they've reached an impasse, but aren't done negotiating yet. Likely someone leaked this to pressure Sony because fan reaction is 100% negative about this at the moment.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't blame Sony. Venom was a hit despite critical disdain, Into the Spider-Verse achieved an oscar win (and is a vastly superior and faithful movie compared to Homecoming and Far From Home). Disney asked for 50% equal profits and wanted more of a cut into Sony Spider productions. Their fault entirely. Frankly, given how I feel about MCU movies in general, I'm not that fussed if Iron Boy goes away or finds himself in a position where he actually has to start acting like Peter Parker/Spider-Man.

Collipso

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i don’t blame sony either. if anything i blame disney. sony has the distributing rights and was funding the spidey movies. disney’s move was that of a monopolizer.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, it's not surprising at all that Sony didn't take the terrible deal Disney offered.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As bad as Sony's track record is, I think that Disney is more to blame in this case. Disney getting 50% of the profits is not reasonable when Sony owns the rights. Disney already profits from Sony allowing it to use Spider-Man in various Marvel movies.

I'm rooting for Sony to somehow make it on its own, because I don't want it getting bought out by Disney. Disney is so close to having a Hollywood monopoly that it's getting creepy.

2t6txm.jpg

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
50% of a modestly budgeted (for a blockbuster), co-financed, coherently written, well reviewed, crowd pleasing, billion dollar + boxoffice entry in the MCU cultural colossus... might not be that different from 100% of an entirely Sony financed, out-of-control spending, incoherent, critically lambasted, fan disappointing, 700 million dollar box-office movie, that is part of Sony's on-going train-wreck of a cinematic universe.

50% doesn't sound that far off the mark for me. Maybe 60-40 in Sony's favour. If the reported figure that Marvel only gets 5% currently is true. That's unreasonable to continue that deal.

Collipso

Reaction score
Trophy Points
while i agree 5% isn’t a reasonable amount, increasing the percentage 10 times sounds much less reasonable. after all somy does hold the distributing rights and is financing the whole thing. due to it being their money it is only natural they’d get most of the profit. just 50% is unreasonable.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:
I'm rooting for Sony to somehow make it on its own, because I don't want it getting bought out by Disney. Disney is so close to having a Hollywood monopoly that it's getting creepy.

Agreed, but there's no reason Disney couldn't, say, just buy back the Spidey rights for a few billion, rather than acquire the whole dang Sony studio. ;)

And, given the fact that Sony crapped out a pathetic mess with Venom and it made $856m worldwide, it's certainly reasonable for them to think they can make it on their own - or at the very least beat a 50/50 deal.

I also hope the two sides will eventually come to a mutually agreeable ratio, but, given how Far From Home ended, there shouldn't be a need, per se, for a third movie in that series to continue to tie into the MCU.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Agreed, but there's no reason Disney couldn't, say, just buy back the Spidey rights for a few billion, rather than acquire the whole dang Sony studio. ;)

Yes, but if Sony loses too much money, it might go up for sale like 20th Century Fox did. And unless it was stopped from doing so by outside authorities, Disney would probably try to buy it, and would stand a good chance of having the highest bid.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sony won't sell the rights, Spidey is their only really profitable franchise (Bond doesn't really count because they aren't really capable of pumping one of those out every 2 years). Disney couldn't buy Sony/Columbia if they wanted to, that would never get through antitrust regulations at this point, they own too much of the industry now.

Apparently Disney was actually asking closer to 30%, but they were also willing to finance that amount. But the numbers being reported keep changing.

My theory on what may be happening, but not reported on, is some combination or variation of:

- Disney also wants the rights to use Sony owned characters whenever they want in any of their movies without specifically negotiating for them or giving Sony a cut and Sony won't do it
- Disney wants any and all Sony live action Marvel stuff to go through them and be in the MCU and Sony won't do it because why would they, Venom made them an assload of money without Disney or Spidey
- Sony wants a cut of the profits of any non-Sony movie Spidey appears in and Disney won't do it - just imagine if they got, say, a 5% cut of Infinity War and Endgame profits just for leasing out their character
- Sony wants a cut of Spidey merchandising and Disney won't do it

At the end of the day, someone leaked this to make a contentious behind the scenes negotiation public to strongarm the other party. Both Disney and Sony are at fault here for being too greedy when the deal as it stood was mutually beneficial.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Agree that the Sony fallout is bad news for all concerned. The movies have been better, and the fans have been happier. It sounds like both studios had a bit of greed and stubbornness, though. Still hoping that things can work out before the movies go completely off the rails again. 

In other news, the D23 Disney convention was last week, which had a slate of new announcements, including a Black Panther sequel finally confirmed for May 2022. BP was one of the odd omissions from the previous announcements at San Diego Comic Con, so it's good to see him finally get a greenlit sequel. Captain Marvel and Ant-Man sequels are still weirdly MIA, though.

Also, in addition to all the previously announced Disney+ series, there were more series announced, including Moon Knight, She-Hulk (whose rights I would have thought were tied up with Universal), and Ms. Marvel.

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2019/08/marvel-studios-disney-d23-expo/black-panther-2

Anyone else have a sense that not all Disney+ series are going to be ongoing series? I mean, we're now at a total of eight MCU series just for Disney+ alone, not counting ABC, Hulu or Freeform shows. That's a lot of time, effort, and money, and I think even Disney itself will eventually not want to pay for 7 years and 100 episodes of all these shows. It sounds to me like maybe "miniseries" is the more appropriate term -- a one-and-done season of 13 episodes, and then they move on to a new project. Meanwhile, the characters established there can pop up in other movies.

Granted, the three just announced sound like they could be ongoing, but the ones featuring previously movie-centric characters -- Falcon & Winter Soldier, WandaVision, Hawkeye and Loki -- all sound like they're meant to fill gaps in the continuity, not to run forever.

Combine that with the multitude of Star Wars shows announced for Disney+ -- The Mandalorian, the Rogue One prequel series, an Obi-Wan series and a now-rumored Darth Maul series -- only the first of which sounds like it's designed to run long-term, and it seems like a picture is forming of short-term "event" series made to keep people coming to the new platform.

That's not a complaint at all, just an observation. And I could be wrong, but that's how it seems at the moment. It'll be interesting to how everything shakes out!

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gotta say, I have almost zero excitement for any future MCU stuff outside of Moon Knight right now, and that's 100% directly related to the Spider-Man situation. A post-Endgame/FFH MCU without Spider-Man does not interest me at all.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Anyone else have a sense that not all Disney+ series are going to be ongoing series? I mean, we're now at a total of eight MCU series just for Disney+ alone, not counting ABC, Hulu or Freeform shows. That's a lot of time, effort, and money, and I think even Disney itself will eventually not want to pay for 7 years and 100 episodes of all these shows. It sounds to me like maybe "miniseries" is the more appropriate term -- a one-and-done season of 13 episodes, and then they move on to a new project. Meanwhile, the characters established there can pop up in other movies.

I don't imagine any of the announced live-action shows based on movie characters are expected to run more than one season (not saying they won't, just that that probably won't be the assumption). The shows based on new characters, OTOH, could very well go for multiple seasons.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, Gaith--that's pretty much how I see it.

Top Bottom