• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Collipso said:
yeah, i guess Homecoming is the one that screwed up the most. regarding phase 1: Iron Man 2 is 6 months after Iron Man, and happens roughly at the same time as The Incredible Hulk. the Earth segment in Thor happens immediately after Iron Man 2. the 'present day' bits of The First Avenger are when? 2011 i think? which means:
  • Iron Man: 2008
  • Iron Man 2: six months after that (2009ish?)
  • The Incredible Hulk: ''
  • Thor: immediately afer the previous 2 movies (so still 2009ish)
  • Captain America: 2011?
  • The Avengers: 2012
that's sort of what i'm working with right now.

Problem with that is, Nick Fury says in Avengers "1 year ago we had visitors from a different world and we learned we are hopelessly and hilarously outgunned" so Iron Man 2, Thor, and The Incredible Hulk all have to take place in May 2011, 1 year before the Avengers (May 2012, confirmed by TV Series Newspapers and Iron Man 3's date of December 2012). Iron Man 1 has to take place 6 months before these films. However, Civil War says Iron Man and Avengers are 4 years apart. Absolutely ridiculous. If a Civil War edit happens, someone should cut around Vision's line "In the 8 years since Mr. Stark announced he was Iron Man..."

(BTW Captain Marvel kinda ruined Fury's justification for the Phase 2 Weapons there, hasn't it?)

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Even the MCU itself has acknowledged that Homecoming got its dates wrong:

Look, even Infinity War co-director Joe Russo called the MCU “a very incorrect eight years” in an interview with ScreenRant.

Infinity War kind of sets it straight. There’s a scene where Tony Stark is quipping with Doctor Strange. During their conversation he brings up the attack on New York that happened six years ago. If we operate under the knowledge that The Avengers takes place in 2012, that returns the MCU timeline to its rightful place. Infinity War takes place in 2018, and effectively retconned Homecoming.

Collipso

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i think ragnarok is clearly 2017 though, not sure at what moment do they explicitly say it, but i seem to recall thor and hulk talking about age of ultron being '2 years ago' or somehting, which would put infinity war in 2017 too.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Collipso said:
i think ragnarok is clearly 2017 though, not sure at what moment do they explicitly say it, but i seem to recall thor and hulk talking about age of ultron being '2 years ago' or somehting, which would put infinity war in 2017 too.

Not necessarily. The end credits scene doesn't have to take place in the same year as the rest of the movie.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
<p>In fairness to the filmmakers of <i>Homecoming</i>, Kevin Feige and his team knew what date was being put in the movie and&nbsp;stop it. In fact, I would think the filmmakers would have picked the release date of <i>Avengers</i>&nbsp;as the default date, so it seems like someone made them change it <i><b>to</b></i> "8 years later."</p><p><br></p><p>I can't find the exact quote, but it seems like for a long while, Feige would say that all the solo Phase 1 movies took&nbsp;place in one year, with <i>Avengers</i> happening the following year. If 2008 is used as the basis for <i>Iron Man</i>, then all the other solo Phase 1 films then take place in 2008, with "the following year" for <i>The Avengers</i> being 2009 -- thus, 8 years prior to <i>Homecoming</i>.<br><br></p><p>However, when <i>Homecoming</i> mentioned that date and confused everyone, it seemed earlier to settle everyone's mind by having Tony say in <i>Infinity War </i>that the Battle of New York took place six years prior, shifting the dates of&nbsp;the Phase 1&nbsp;solo films to 2011 (although the <a href="https://www.forbes.com/sites/anhark...meline-just-confuse-things-more/#7cbf23f836c9">official timeline</a> now places the first <i>Iron Man</i> in 2010). The move probably made the most sense so that people were less confused, although <i>Homecoming</i> was thrown under the bus in the process.</p><p><br></p><p>Not that I'm saying that the makers of <i>Homecoming</i> are somehow infallible, but it seems like they wouldn't have picked that date by accident when it would have been much easier to just assume 2012. *shrug*</p><p><br></p><p>Anyway, I love the MCU, and Feige is doing a great job overall. As much as <i>Star Wars</i> is my favorite franchise, Feige is doing arguably a better job at franchise management than George Lucas was able to (although Lucas certainly tried). But I think not having an official timeline until late 2018 has confused things a bit. At the end of the day, comic book movies seem to work like comic books, where the chronology stretches and changes as the story needs it to.</p><p></p>

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
<i>head asplode trying to read through the formatting codes</i>

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:

XKpLsMx.gif

iridium_ionizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
When Infinity War and End Game both went double platinum blockbuster, a lot of people wanted to get into these movies a little - without investing 22 hours in watching movies to get prepare for the Avengers ones. Many of us have a friend or family member that falls into this camp. Also some of us would like to reexperience the whole saga without blocking out so much time from our schedules. 

Has anyone considered or made any efforts toward taking the individual movies (Iron Man, Thor, etc.) and condensing them so their runtimes match those of typical TV show episodes (30 to 50 minutes)? Note that I am neither talking about a fan-mix (like Marvel 24 or The Avengers Initiative) nor a simple trim. The idea would be that someone could watch the individual movies in quick, easy-to-digest bites and be knowledgeable enough to watch the Avengers movies (ad probably Civil War also) without having to ask "So, who is that?" or "What is an infinity stone?"

Each episode would contain the best character building moments (of the main character), the best parts of the action scenes, enough of the side characters to make them recognizable in Avengers movies, and most of the basic plot for each movie. 

Has anyone attempted this? Would it work? Would it be something someone would want to watch (instead of full movies or a recap)?

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
In fairness to the filmmakers of Homecoming, Kevin Feige and his team knew what date was being put in the movie and stop it. In fact, I would think the filmmakers would have picked the release date of Avengers as the default date, so it seems like someone made them change it to "8 years later." I can't find the exact quote, but it seems like for a long while, Feige would say that all the solo Phase 1 movies took place in one year, with Avengers happening the following year. If 2008 is used as the basis for Iron Man, then all the other solo Phase 1 films then take place in 2008, with "the following year" for The Avengers being 2009 -- thus, 8 years prior to Homecoming. However, when Homecoming mentioned that date and confused everyone, it seemed earlier to settle everyone's mind by having Tony say in Infinity War that the Battle of New York took place six years prior, shifting the dates of the Phase 1 solo films to 2011 (although the official timeline now places the first Iron Man in 2010). The move probably made the most sense so that people were less confused, although Homecoming was thrown under the bus in the process. Not that I'm saying that the makers of Homecoming are somehow infallible, but it seems like they wouldn't have picked that date by accident when it would have been much easier to just assume 2012. *shrug* Anyway, I love the MCU, and Feige is doing a great job overall. As much as Star Wars is my favorite franchise, Feige is doing arguably a better job at franchise management than George Lucas was able to (although Lucas certainly tried). But I think not having an official timeline until late 2018 has confused things a bit. At the end of the day, comic book movies seem to work like comic books, where the chronology stretches and changes as the story needs it to.

Cleaned that up a bit.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:

Ugh! That is weird. First of all, I didn't put in all that code like that. I know how distracting and ugly that looks. I just clicked the formatting buttons above, like usual.

Second, when I saw that the site had posted it like that, I *deleted* the post! So I have no idea why it remained on the forum.

Sorry you all had to look at that mess, but I promise you, that's not how I left it.

EDITED TO ADD: I would fix it now, but Garp already did a great job of that. Thanks, Garp!

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I must say this announcement caught me off-guard. All the other Phase 1 Avengers only got 3 solo movies plus the Avengers Quadrilogy (not counting cameos), so I thought for sure Thor was done, too, regardless of his fate in Endgame (which, alas, I still haven't seen). Also, Taika Waititi had recently become attached to two other adaptations, Akira and Flash Gordon, so for him to abruptly put those on the back burner to work on this is unexpected. (I don't doubt Disney showed up at his house with a truck full of money bags marked with giant "$"s on them to help him make up his mind.)

While some Thor fans were disappointed that the third film wasn't tonally similar to the first two, it's hard to ignore the fact that those two films wound up near the bottom of almost every fans' list of MCU movies. Ragnarok finally gave Thor a movie that wound up in most fans' top 10. I'll be thrilled if Waititi keeps that hilarious 1980s vibe in both the visual design and the score for the next film, but if he goes a completely different direction again, I'm sure I can look forward to whatever he has in mind!

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, it's weird there's gonna be a Thor Four. Thor's first two movies were snooze-fests compared to Iron Man and Captain America's solo flicks, then they add jokes and cha-ching let's keep the choo-choo churning.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
All the other Phase 1 Avengers only got 3 solo movies

Ahem:

220px-NortonRuffaloHulk.jpg

Also, Downey and Evans wanted out by the end of Endgame. Someone major certainly had to die at the end of the Infinity Stones saga, but, given their popularity, I imagine Marvel would have happily eked at least one more movie out of at least one of them. The fact that Hemsworth's non-Marvel movies haven't been doing too well might have helped, too.

Also also, it's being reported that there are budget/casting issues related to Akira, which is now on hold.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
TomH1138 said:
All the other Phase 1 Avengers only got 3 solo movies

Ahem:

220px-NortonRuffaloHulk.jpg
Heh. It just shows how much Disney pushed the Hulk to the side (because they don't want Universal to make a bunch of money on the MCU) that I didn't even think of his one solo movie. It also says something about how much of an incredible mark Ruffalo (heh - Mark Ruffalo) left on the role that I only think of him now instead of Norton, and of course, Ruffalo never got a solo movie. 

Anyway, my main point was that, up until now, no one got more than three movies. I was surprised to hear of a #4. Admittedly, though, I would be surprised to hear of a #2 for Hulk at this point as well!

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Waititi, back Thor more?

... With apologies to Bob. :D

I hope so, Ragnarok and Infinity War really helped reignite Thor's character, he was probably the only one of the main three that didn't need their ending yet. Fingers crossed there's still the Guardians crossover that they teased.

Collipso

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i'm expecting thor not to be in GotG vol. 3, and that at the very beginning they talk about how "thor's gone doing thor stuff" or whatever and make some fun of Quill while at it. let's hope i'm wrong though.

Top Bottom