If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Marvel Cinematic Universe
(07-16-2019, 05:53 PM)Gaith Wrote: Waititi, back Thor more?

[Image: Falco-Nice.jpg]

... With apologies to Bob. Big Grin

While it is true that I am not fond of the more comedic (dumber?) Thor, I am happy to hear Natalie Portman will be returning as Jane Foster...
https://www.cbr.com/thor-4-jane-foster-w...f-thunder/
"... let's go exploring!" -- CALVIN.
Marvel announced its new slate of upcoming films at San Diego Comic Con this weekend:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/movies/s...-comic-con

Focusing attention mainly on the movies, with only mentions of TV series that get my attention:

First up in the next wave is Black Widow in May 2020, which isn't a surprise since the movie has been filming for some time. Maybe that's why Feige chose to hold off on mentioning it until nearly the end, although that weirdly makes it the only one not in chronological order on this list.

Next is Eternals in Nov. 2020, again a little unsurprising since we've been hearing development news for some time on this. It is a bit more surprising that they aren't moving faster on characters needing sequels, such as the next Doctor Strange, which won't show up until May 2021. (Shang-Chi, a character I haven't heard of, shows up in his debut outing between these two films.)

Speaking of Strange, it's surprising that Wanda will be in his sequel film, only because her streaming series WandaVision will debut just a month or two ahead of that. Usually there's a longer buffer time in between appearances of the characters. I like Wanda just fine, though, so it's not a complaint, just an observation.

While we're talking about streaming, I'm really intrigued by the animated What If? series. I'm not sure how long an anthology series will hold general audiences' attention, but I'm always interested in parallel-universe fiction, particularly after Into the Spider-Verse. The first episode has been reported elsewhere as being "What if Peggy Carter got the Super Soldier Serum instead of Steve Rogers?" As someone who misses Agent Carter, count me in!

The news on the fourth Thor continues to be astonishing, first because Natalie Portman returns to the series (I thought she was missing from Ragnarok because she didn't want to be involved anymore), but second because she's going to be the new Thor! Jane Foster (Portman's character) did take a stint as the title character in the comics, but considering Portman's aforementioned lack of involvement and also considering how successful Ragnarok was, I didn't think Marvel would go in such a different direction. Well, consider me intrigued!

Last up (and the only one with no date) is the reboot of Blade, which -- despite recent rumors -- doesn't seem to have anything to do with Wesley Snipes. I do wonder if fans of the original R-rated movie will accept a likely PG-13 version of the character. (I didn't see the earlier movies, so I don't have a strong opinion on this.) Nonetheless, Marvel has rarely gone wrong when introducing new characters, so I'm sure they'll figure something out.

The biggest jaw-dropper of the whole announcement is not what's been included but what's been excluded. Where on earth is Black Panther 2? My family is MCU'd out, so I still haven't seen Endgame, but even if T'Challa didn't get "unsnapped" and even if all of Wakanda burned to the ground (both of which seem really unlikely to me), Marvel is going to make another Black Panther movie. The last one made so much money at the box office, it beat Infinity War!  Even if they had to bring in someone new to fill the mantle, I'm sure they'll do it. So why isn't this on their release slate? Perhaps the difficulty lay in coordinating all of the actors' schedule, along with the director, as they must be very much in demand right now.

Also surprisingly excluded are the X-Men and the Fantastic Four. Feige said we'd have to wait a while before the next installments of each, but I figured they'd be in the new timeline even if they were at the very end of it. Oh, well. They do need to take their time and do it right.

Spider-Man is also missing, which suggests to me that it'll be released just after this new wave in 2022.

Anyway, lots of interesting tidbits to chew on. It'll be exciting to see how it all plays out!
(07-22-2019, 12:38 PM)TomH1138 Wrote: While we're talking about streaming, I'm really intrigued by the animated What If? series. I'm not sure how long an anthology series will hold general audiences' attention, but I'm always interested in parallel-universe fiction, particularly after Into the Spider-Verse. The first episode has been reported elsewhere as being "What if Peggy Carter got the Super Soldier Serum instead of Steve Rogers?" As someone who misses Agent Carter, count me in!

WE MUST IMMEDIATELY DEMAND THIS EPISODE BE LIVE-ACTION

[Image: DXKgd-Ys-VQAEK059.jpg]

[Image: 45c438e85881055072878d95593b6059.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like Gaith's post
(07-22-2019, 12:38 PM)TomH1138 Wrote: Marvel announced its new slate of upcoming films at San Diego Comic Con this weekend:

(Shang-Chi, a character I haven't heard of, shows up in his debut outing between these two films.)

Anyway, lots of interesting tidbits to chew on. It'll be exciting to see how it all plays out!

Definitely an exciting slate of projects!  Of course as we know things can change.... INHUMANS THE MOVIE, GUARDIANS VOL 3...

I secretly hope they will end Phase 4 with the Fantastic Four.... but I am willing to wait for them to get it right.

Of all the announcements, SHANG-CHI AND THE LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS is the one I am most interested in...

Used to love the comic in 70s.   The martial arts movie craze was huge, allong with David Carradine's Kung Fu tv series, thus to cash in, Marvel created their own kung fu Bruce Lee styled hero, Shang-Chi, son of the evil Fu Manchu.  A great series, now available in collected trades, well worth revisiting.

Plus, it will interesting how this movie will course correct The Mandarin after Iron Man 3, and make him a villain he deserves to be rather than the comedic imitator we got.  I assume Mandarin is replacing Fu Manchu???

And finally, the casting of Simu Liu is awesome!  Firstly, he is Canadian!!!   And secondly, he stars in my current favourite tv comedy, KIMS CONVENIENCE.  A very charismatic actor with great comedic timing.  I think he will make a great Shang-Chi. Big Grin
Good to know! Thanks for the information about Shang-Chi. I admit that was a part of Marvel's history I hadn't heard of until now.
You knew it was too good to last....

Spider-man no longer part of the MCU.

Greed strikes again.  Angry
Variety is painting it as they've reached an impasse, but aren't done negotiating yet. Likely someone leaked this to pressure Sony because fan reaction is 100% negative about this at the moment.
I don't blame Sony. Venom was a hit despite critical disdain, Into the Spider-Verse achieved an oscar win (and is a vastly superior and faithful movie compared to Homecoming and Far From Home). Disney asked for 50% equal profits and wanted more of a cut into Sony Spider productions. Their fault entirely. Frankly, given how I feel about MCU movies in general, I'm not that fussed if Iron Boy goes away or finds himself in a position where he actually has to start acting like Peter Parker/Spider-Man.
[+] 1 user Likes Zarius's post
i don’t blame sony either. if anything i blame disney. sony has the distributing rights and was funding the spidey movies. disney’s move was that of a monopolizer.
What has hardened will never win.
[+] 2 users Like Collipso's post
Yeah, it's not surprising at all that Sony didn't take the terrible deal Disney offered.
[+] 1 user Likes asterixsmeagol's post