If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Alita: Battle Angel
(07-12-2019, 03:05 PM)hbenthow Wrote: 20th Century Fox has released an 8-minute clip on YouTube.

I do really like the film but that scene is one of the big flaws. "Hey Alita, let me show you round this magical sunlit paradise... which is a hellhole from which I hope to escape".
[+] 1 user Likes TM2YC's post
(07-12-2019, 06:23 PM)TM2YC Wrote: I do really like the film but that scene is one of the big flaws. "Hey Alita, let me show you round this magical sunlit paradise... which is a hellhole from which I hope to escape".

Excellent point. The city reminded me of Old Delhi, but cleaner, more open, and apparently not oppressively hot or smoggy. Given Rodriguez's history with Mexico, I assume he's been to grimy places himself, but that really didn't come across here. Anyhow, I agree with your review as a whole: enjoyable, but inessential. In one of the extras that came with the Redbox rental, Rodriguez says he chopped down Cameron's 185-page screenplay to a trim two hours without rewriting anything, so maybe if Cameron had directed the whole thing himself, we'd have gotten a more deliberate and layered three-hour epic that built to a big emotional payoff, a la Avatar.

Anyhow, looks as though the movie did okay ($404m worldwide on a 170m budget), so I suppose a sequel could happen, but I wouldn't be disappointed if this were a one and done. It was fun to see Rosa Salazar after her recurring part on Man Seeking Woman, though.

Grade: B
(09-13-2019, 02:47 PM)Gaith Wrote: Anyhow, looks as though the movie did okay ($404m worldwide on a 170m budget), so I suppose a sequel could happen, but I wouldn't be disappointed if this were a one and done. 

Home video sales also factor into the decision whether or not to make a sequel, and it's been selling like hotcakes on Blu-ray and 4K. Many Best Buy locations don't even have copies anymore due to selling them all.
Courage, men! we've not sunk before, and we'll not sink now!