• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Movies That Never Should Have Had A Sequel

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
For me, the sequels and even the last act of the original JP fail to understand what made JP great (well for me at least). It wasn’t about a monster movie; it was the wonder and the scientific and ethical issues explored. In short, I liked the more sci fi aspects of it and less the monster movie aspects. The sequels are all focused on the monster movie aspects to near exclusion of everything else.

To be fair Lost World was (& Fallen Kingdom too I think) about animal abuse/cruelty however well executed you may think it was. I liked how Lost World reinforced the “don’t mess with nature” message from the first one. I haven’t seen Fallen Kingdom but I heard it was incredibly stupid especially at the end.

Let the dinosaurs die and protect the lives of many, or let them loose to the world and threaten the entire human race?

Jurassic World was I think was a metacommentary about commercialization/capitalism/franchising... in the sequel to one of the most highest grossing film series ever... and became the third highest grossing film ever until Force Awakens surpassed it... Man that movie was at odds with itself.

I think 3 was the most superfluous one.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I stopped watching after 3. I thought both 2 and 3 were horrible. But I had also read the Lost World book, which was far superior to the film which bears only a passing resemblance to Crichton’s novel. But again, I also mostly didn’t like even the third act of the original JP.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I stopped watching after 3. I thought both 2 and 3 were horrible. But I had also read the Lost World book, which was far superior to the film which bears only a passing resemblance to Crichton’s novel. But again, I also mostly didn’t like even the third act of the original JP.

I'm curious what your thoughts are on where the third act should've gone.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

I'm curious what your thoughts are on where the third act should've gone.

It’s not that I think it should’ve been different; it’s that I didn’t enjoy the monster movie part of the movie as much as the first two acts.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've never watched Jurassic Park Or even Jurassic World, I've only watched The Fallen Kingdom when my family when to go see it in theatres.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
SonofSinbad said:
I've never watched Jurassic Park Or even Jurassic World, I've only watched The Fallen Kingdom when my family when to go see it in theatres.

Someone call Child Protective Services on @"Sinbad"!

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SonofSinbad said:

I can relate, I've only seen Jurassic World, not by choice. First for a friend's brother's birthday party, and again in a Music in Film class.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
SonofSinbad said:

I can relate, I've only seen Jurassic World, not by choice. First for a friend's brother's birthday party, and again in a Music in Film class.

I can't see me liking any of the others though, it just doesn't seem very appealing to me.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SonofSinbad said:
I can't see me liking any of the others though, it just doesn't seem very appealing to me.

I completely agree, I meant to include in my previous post, I have practically no interest in the original Jurassic Park.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Part of the magic of the original JP was the wonder that came with seeing these fully realized dinosaurs on screen. Audiences had never seen anything like that before. Coupled with Williams’ amazing score, it’s hard to describe how beautiful and mesmerizing that first viewing in the theater was. Of course today we have so many CGI creatures it hardly raises an eyebrow. The funny thing is the original JP’s effects hold up so much better than more modern CGI because it was a skillful mix of CGI and animatronic and other effects. Even its own sequels don’t hold up as well.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The first time I watched Jurassic Park was on DVD a few years ago and loved it. I appreciated the effects that were groundbreaking at that time but of course to me what made the film so good was the compelling story and the gripping plot. It was just so well written. It's not a perfect movie of course, heck I think besides John Hammond the other characters like Alan Grant was just pretty good. I don't think I could pick any of the characters as "unforgettable" or "iconic". But point is we cared a lot about them and how the film would go. So @"jrWHAG42" and @"SonofSinbad" I strongly recommend you watch this one.

Personally I just think that Alan Grant's arc of learning to like children was a little disconnected from the main themes of the movie. It only served to make you care about him protecting John Hammond's grandkids, which is fine, but his change isn't really that profound. The most compelling change is of course with John Hammond himself.

Then I bought the trilogy Blu-Ray and continued with Lost World and I liked that one too. Again, without knowledge of the original book, I thought it reinforced the messages of the original film well and the "monster movie" element was upped very well, especially the scene with the van hanging from a cliff and the raptor chase. The characters in this movie was also pretty good and similar in my eyes to the ones in JP. I was even fine with the T-Rex in the city third act, don't know why people have such a problem with it. It again shows the consequences of men messing with nature.

Of course it doesn't bring back the wonder and magic of the first movie but frankly I don't think anything could, as proven by several sequels that failed to do so. So I at least appreciate the second film for not solely trying to recapture that same magic and instead focusing more on its own story, development, worse consequences and situations for the heroes, etc. So I understand that this movie is not for everyone as @"Moe_Syzlak" described his distaste for the monster movie elements but personally I do enjoy it.

3 I thought was just embarrasingly bad. JW when I saw it in theaters I hated it but I'm thinking of giving it a second chance. Fallen Kingdom I just avoided.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, Home Alone 2 should never have had a sequel. I agree.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You're both absolutely right. After Home Alone 3 there really was no need to continue, as we all know it was the best of the bunch.

Obviously I'm joking. I've never seen 3. I'm no heathen.

How about The Land Before Time

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My kids watched 3 recently. I commented on it in the Random Movie Thoughts thread because a young Scarlett Johansson plays the sister.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I remember Home Alone 3 being perfectly mediocre. Unnecessary and uninspired, but ultimately harmless, not at all like a certain made-for-TV sequel starring French Stewart as Marv, which I haven't seen but sounds like an abomination on principle alone.

gortat

Reaction score
Trophy Points
SonofSinbad said:
Lets just not talk about Home Alone 4...

Ok, then we go straight to Home Alone 5

I wish no sequel for:

Robocop
Last Crusade
Batman Returns
Jurassic Park (there is an issue with every sequel)
Terminator Judgement Day
Predator 2
Pirates At World's End (only 4 - so boring)
Mask (including other Carrey-less sequels)

Top Bottom