• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Movies That Never Should Have Had A Sequel

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was just talking to my mother the other day about the Matrix sequels. She said I was crazy for having only seen the original, that it was like Lord of the Rings. I said that it wasn't like that at all, that LOTR was one big story, you can't watch one without the others, whereas Matrix is its own stand alone movie that you could watch without any knowledge that there are sequels.
Now, I don't remember the ending to The Matrix. She was telling me that it's not resolved in the end, that it's open ended and requires the sequels. I couldn't exactly argue with that. I mean, I did, but I forget my argument.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It stands fine on its own, obviously The Matrix itself still exists at the end of the original film but it didn't necessarily need a sequel even though the ending suggests there could be one. Its very similar to the ending of Star Wars I'd say in that the Death Star has been destroyed but the Empire and Darth Vader are still at large but we now have 'A New Hope'.  Had Star Wars flopped and never had sequels it still feels like a complete film and the story has been told.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really enjoy the sequel fanedits though, there's a lot of good material that lets you work around the bad.  For that alone I'm glad they exist.

And when I hear "movies that never should have had a sequel" that's a different thing than "movies that worked fine without a sequel."  Robbing me of T2, Aliens, or ESB/ROTJ/TFA/TLJ is crazy talk imo.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
And when I hear "movies that never should have had a sequel" that's a different thing than "movies that worked fine without a sequel."  Robbing me of T2, Aliens, or ESB/ROTJ/TFA/TLJ is crazy talk imo.

Yes with 'The Matrix' what I really mean is movies which should have had much better sequels. The potential and scope was there,  it will definitely be rebooted at some point of that I'm sure it's actually something I would be keen to see a reboot of in the right hands, that's not The Wachowski's though sadly...

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
The Terminator is a perfect loop story where the goal is not to change the future but to make it happen the way it should be (the whole story itself implies that nothing can be changed) . So as soon as you start to play with different timelines, you're fucked, because it is supposed to be a serious movie, not a a BTTF where you can do anything just for the fun of it.

Exactly. The problem is that Terminator 2 is so damn good that we all just happily ignore that it ruins the whole concept.

TMBTM said:
I don't think of one single sequel/prequel that makes me like the original less.

Generally I agree, the original is always there. Except for this franchise:

Sinbad said:
The Matrix

The sequels remove all the unresolved mystery from the first film's premise, they also make it boring, but worst of all in trying to explain (and over explain) all the stuff that was not explained in the first movie, they revealed that it was kinda nonsense. A quest to forcefully awaken millions of blissfully ignorant people from their Matrix slumber, just because you personally have a problem with it, thus ensuring almost all of these millions would either drown, or slowly succumb to starvation, confused, terrifying deaths and the few that did survive would have decades/centuries of miserable existence on a bleak post-apocalyptic planet. The Matrix "heroes" are kind of a**holes when you think about :D . I preferred when we just had one movie and I had not thought about it. I remember the feeling of cliffhanger excitement that the end of The Matrix left me with in 1999, I will never quite get that back, even though the film is still there to watch and enjoy.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
I really enjoy the sequel fanedits though, there's a lot of good material that lets you work around the bad.  For that alone I'm glad they exist.

Yep. Jerick's Decoded edit is excellent.

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I feel I've gotten to the point where yes, Star Wars should've been 1 film. Burn the whole enterprise to the down so I don't have to deal with so many over-zealous, overly entitled fans who won't shut up about why you're wrong/stupid for liking "X."

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You don't have to deal with any of them anyway.  Just ignore it.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nic said:
Star Wars should've been 1 film. Burn the whole enterprise to the down 

Wrong franchise. Perhaps you want to burn down the Millennium Falcon :p

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Just ignore it.

GvnS.gif

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Nic said:

Just realized I was so angry that I wrote "to the down" instead of "to the ground." Whoops.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nic said:
ThrowgnCpr said:
Nic said:

Just realized I was so angry that I wrote "to the down" instead of "to the ground." Whoops.

Also, Enterprise = Star Trek.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's only one Star Wars, followed by a whole lot of Star Worse.
I'm sorry.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
We need a Dislike button only for whag posts.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
I'm sorry.

I'm expecting a permanant ban from this but..
Im on the same page I hate the star wars movies. I just don't get the hype.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Geez, I was just kidding, I love the films. You can't just say something like that in a community built off of Star Wars!
Nah, it's cool. I have an uncle who hates them all. I accept the opinion.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
Geez, I was just kidding, I love the films. You can't just say something like that in a community built off of Star Wars!
Nah, it's cool. I have an uncle who hates them all. I accept the opinion.

I must say That the force awakens is ok but the others are just a bit ehhhhhh.

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
I'm sorry.

Ah, don't feel too bad. After all, we'll always have Start Wreck. :D 

Anyway, to get back on topic, really wish they left The Terminator alone after the second film. Major insult for the third film to undo everything, and the Future War didn't turn out to be worth going back to after Salvation.

Top Bottom